_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-62M m2005 in progress
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC
Ok, here is a dedicated thread to this build. Quick recap:

Kit is Tamiya T-62A with a SP Designs conversion into a T-62M m2005 as show at the IDEX 2005 show.

The T-62M m2005 is a upgrade for the various older T-62 batches to include K-5 level ERA mounted on the front of the turret, K-1/3 ERA on the hull and sides, sideskirts, New smoke mortar arrangement, mounting posts for the T-80U style AAMG, T-72 type tracks, and new electronics/fire control if desired. So far there are only 1 or 2 "show piece" vehicles converted. The Russian Army is not planning to buy them, so they are a export program.

My build also has new headlight guards made from wire and other wiring details. I decided to add a SKIF KMT-6 mine-plow as well, for fun. I had to add the IR searchlight connecting rod detail and barrel mount and instead of adding the rear fuel barrels or their support posts, I scratchbuilt the mounting points for the support posts, just for something different.

After the first coat of paint, all the pinholes showed up. So I thinned out some Squadron Green Putty and spread it out over the pinholes and it filled them in quite nicely.

There was some sanding involved.

And the headlight guard / ERA mounting.

So I repainted, preshaded, highlighted, and detail painted. I added the fuel lines for the external fender fuel tanks.

Now I have started the shading. Then some work with new weathering techniques...

Off to work... (All of this is for Andreas...enjoy! )
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC
That looks wicked.

I like.
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 02:34 PM UTC
Oh Jacques!

What can I say? Im very impressed by your amazing work! I love the colors and shades too. Which colors did you use? I saved all the pictures of your work. They will be a great reference for me when starting building on mine.

The appearance of that vehicle is so beautiful.....and with the KMT mounted....ahh, Im in heaven

Keep on with the great work......and thanks for posting your progress

Best regards,

Andy T.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC
Wow Jacques,

really impressive!

I'm still waiting (like everybody ) on the trumpeter T-62 en T62m. What are the main differences between them?

Still having for the T-62: Friuls, trakz damaged wheel set, Friul Dushka, Verlinden interior set, Verlinden exterior set, modelpoint ammo,.....

But still no decent T-62,...grrrrrrrr

Jurjen
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
Jaques,

What paint color did you use for this kit?
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 09:44 PM UTC
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Looks wicked so far. What "new weathering techniques" exactly are you referring to?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Looks more than nice to me

This is a really interesting subject as the T-62 has not been honestly covered by the manufacturer IMHO.

I do hope Trumpeter will release theirs quickly and SP will modify the conversion sets in the same time.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
Base color is Testors Model Master Acrylic #4812 US Army/Marines Gulf AR. I did my highlights with a 50/50 color mix of #4812 and Testors MM Sand thinned out about 50/50 as well. Then i applied MM Sand thinned down about 70 thinner/ 30 paint. My washes have burnt umber and burnt sienna pigments mixed in, so they darken the finish as well as the effect Future floor polish has on paint. Many factors in the look so far.

The new weathering technique I am trying involves oil paints, oderless turps, and a wide brush, as seen being used by MiG. I have stayed away from oils all my adult modelling life, so it shall be interesting to say the least. i ahve gotten some good demonstrations of this technique from my friend Mike Bedard, who is a art teacher and modeller (many of you may know him from his stuff on Track-links).

As for a Decent T-62, Trumpeter's looks good enough so far that Sergej has requested a copy of the kit as soon as they are available. (things get to the Ukraine even slower than to the USA! )

dmnelson
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC
Jacques,
This looks really good! Be sure to bring it to the next MMFS meeting. Speak of that, are you going to make this Friday's?
David njo
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hiya Dave, good to see you here. Yes fellows, we have another MN nut in our midst!

Yes, I will be at the meeting tonight. I will bring it with, thought not a lot has been done since I posted. Between the SU-100 and a million other projects...
 _GOTOTOP