Hosted by Darren Baker
You won't be the only one who knows its there
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hello from Sunny Side of Louisville (Jeffersonville, Indiana).

I would like to throw out an idea for a new campaign that will probably be very dear to many of you out there. Armored fighting vehicles with aftermarket interiors or engine compartments, not typically visible when completed.

This will be a chance to show off all your hard work inside an AFV. No restriction on scale or type of AFV. No restriction on start date, so you can use previous builds. The only restriction is that one of your pictures will need to show the aftermarket kit, in place, before the vehicle is closed up.

I am a tanker from the early '80s. I was one of the last ones on the M-60 series, first on the M-1 series. So I am available if you have a need for outdated information. I also go to Ft. Knox about once a month if you need me to take pictures at the Patton Museum. But we all do what we must.

Treat 'em Rough

Carl
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi Carl,

I sent you a couple of PM's earlier today regarding the proposal. Did you happen to get them?

Mark
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC
Carl, have you visited the local IPMS club in Louisville called MMCL? They meet the third Thursday of the month (17 May), but once quarterly they will meet on a Friday instead and spend all night building. They meet on Hunsinger Lane not too far from the local hobby shop, Scale Reproductions.

http://www.mmcl.org/
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC
Yes, I used not see the point of interiors but slowly find myself being drawn to build them. I have an interior for an M4A3E8 that John Eary cast for himself, and sold one on to me-you can see his build of it on his photobucket account

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/hvap90/?start=20

So It'd be a great excuse to build it
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 07:11 PM UTC
This sounds like an excellent idea for a campaign ... the main reason I want to do interiors and/or engine kits is have something to see when I want to build a destroyed tank, i.e, with all hatches blown, etc. Haven't gotten around to actually doing one yet, but I have a Panther G interior and Tamiya Late G in the stash, and a T-34/85 Dragon kit and engine bay
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi Carl
I'm in ,I love doing interiors,I've got a Jagdtiger set from Jaguar,and a Panther set from Tank workshop waiting in the wings,unless the 1/16 King Tiger from Trumpeter comes out first
Andy
rjeffs2501
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 01:16 AM UTC
hi carl, does it have to be an after market interior? i have the academy M3 and was wondering if that will do?
thanks
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
I got 'em
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:09 PM UTC
Brian at SRI knows me quite well.

It is a very nice place to stop in and visit if you have the time. They are the ones that got me back into the hobby.

Carl

CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
When I was a very small boy, my dad and I saw an M4 on display some where. I saw the look in his eyes when he walked up and put his hand on it, and said it was a good ole tank. That is probably why I ended up on tanks.

He never talked much about the war. Now that he is gone I am finding out a lot about him. He was in the 191st Tank Battalion with the motto "Treat 'em Rough". He loved that tank in a way you can only understand when you have been there.

Build that tank. Build it now.

"Treat 'em Rough".

Carl
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC
Lets drum up some interest for this campaign.

I don't know why I like interiors. I suppose its just to prove to myself how uncomfortable it really is inside one of those beasties. I am 6'4'' tall. I couldn't even stand up inside them. Maybe it is the engineer in me that is amazed at all the c**p that we can squeeze into them. But then again, it is probably just the hopeless romantic inside me that likes to engage in futile pursuits.

Name of the campaign-Heart of Gold

"Treat 'em Rough".
Carl
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:38 PM UTC
I have done the Jagdtiger. It was my first tank when I returned to the hobby. It builds up nice with the Jag interior. Put the metal tracks on it and it will end up weighing in there as a real heavyweight. I really like the feel of a tank with the complete interior and metal tracks. Scale heft.

Lets get some interior interest in the campaign. I think there are more of us innies out the that are just too scared to admit it.

"Treat 'em Rough".

Carl
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 05:46 PM UTC
I guess it doesn't need to be an aftermarket interior, now that you mention it. Since it will be called "Heart of Gold", it doesn't really matter where the heart came from.

"Treat 'em Rough".

Carl
Stillhawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Sounds like a grand idea. I've been working (well, off and on, that is) on the interior on a DML 234/4 for several weeks now with no end in sight. I started out intending merely to add a few wires to the radio but since then I've found myself adding bolt and rivet heads, correcting errors in the kit, and wiring everything possible. When I finish the fighting compartment I'll start on the engine and engine compartment, for which there is as yet no AM kits out there, though one is reportedly in the works.

At any rate, count me in, though again, I haven't the slightest idea when I'll ever get this project completed.
rjeffs2501
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
sounds like a great campaign, count me in too.
 _GOTOTOP