Aussie Vietnam uniform colours
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hello Everybody

What colour paint should I use to paint the uniforms of Australian soldiers and tankers in Vietnam. I assume they both have the same colour uniform.

modelmad123
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:15 AM UTC
in vietnam there was pretty much only one color uniform, its an olive green more than olive drab. if you know someone that was in the army and still has a set of greens take a look. " the greens" were in service with some units up until the early 90's. i have an old photo of a parade whilst in the reserves in the early 80's and there is some shade variations probably due to different manufactures and the also used to fade quite well.

hope this is of help
andy
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 09:29 AM UTC
G'day Brett
when it comes down to it, like Andy said, it was more of an Olive green, BUT, thats when they were issued them, in vietnam the weather had ways of making not a single pair of greens the same shade, different fading and such, you could see anything from odd light teal colours to very dark olives, so basically if you use a base olive green colour, and then any variations by adding white to lighten it or black and brown to darken, thats how ive done it in the past, and youll be spot on.
Cheers

P.s.if you need pics sing out i have about 5000 pics of aussies in nam
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:08 PM UTC
Thanks all for that. I half as guessed, but you never know. Here's a pic of my unfinished AFV cent, comes with a resin figure, but I hear only some kits got them. Will post more when it's finished.
 _GOTOTOP