_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-80 UDK the full story
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi all,
the full story about my Skif kit with some SP Designs upgrade elements.

Enjoy your visit
Olivier
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
Very Nice Ol!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 09:28 AM UTC
Fabulous job on your "article" olivier.

Enjoy one on me!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC
Thank you Chris and Jacques.

I'm currently fighting with a MT-LB 6MA and its totally warped hull but I know I can make it

This kit comes in the "old" SP resin which is very soft and easy to work with. The hull is now assembled, the roadwheels arms are set and I think I'll work on the track assembly soon. Less air bubbles than on the T-80 but a huge gap at the bottom of the rear plate and tow large "holes" where the idlers must attach. This has been fixed with thick plastic card and some putty.
Pictures will follow.

Jacques, do you have pics of the turret rear ? Some show the SGD rack in the BTR-80 fashion, some simply don't. Which one is the most common ? I can't find any definite data about the fielding of this version. My guess, up to now, was that it is an "export exhibition" version. Am I right ?

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
MT-LB 6MA refers to two prototypes, so far as I can find out:

1. MT-LB with BTR-80 turret

2. MT-LB with BTR-80 turret with Automatic grenade launcher

Neither of them are more than one-off's, presumably for export orders only. Neither turret has the behind-turret smoke grenade set-up, but if they had been purchased I do not see why they would not add it...

The MT-LB 6MB was chosen for Russian Service. It has the standard BTR-80A turret. The Russian Army has procured 50--60 so far.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:31 AM UTC
I told about the back-turret SMD set up because I saw one picture with one set like this and the side of the turret looked up-armored.
I have it on my computer but can't find the website anymore.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
It does not surprise me at all that there was a SMR (Smoke Grenade Rack - not sure if that is the correct designation, but that is what I will use.) As I said, it is a standard BTR-80 turret put on the back of a MT-LB. So far as i know, there are no electrics or hydraulics for the turret, its all based on muscle-power and bearings! It was also meant as a quick and cheap alternative plus use some BTR-80 turrets that were being discarded as they were upgraded to BTR-80A standards.

So I say, have fun. But it will probably only be a show-piece rather than a vehicle in military service.
 _GOTOTOP