_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Dragon T-34/85, and I'm stuck
SerpentSix
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
Ok, this is my first model in nearly 20 years (so be gentle, lol). I have recently returned to the hobby inspired by the work here and the kits now available. This is the Dragon T-34/85 Premium kit built OOB just as a learning experience. Things seemed to be going smoothly and I was learning a lot until I got to the chipping phase. I have tried a couple of methods (hand painting, sponge) and just could not get it right. Since so many here seem to do it with such skill, can anyone point me at a good online reference for methods or have any sage advice? Also, how "chippy" should a T-34 be? Thanks for you time (and I hope I get the image links right).

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
Looks darn good to me.

What I have heard is to use a small brush real small and Oil paint in a Dark brown or dark gray go slow.

What I use also comes out pretty good.

Don't over do it to begin with.

Easy to add more hard to subtract if to much.
Best is to paint a scrap piece of plastic in color that model was and try it out on that.

Brush must be dry to begin with.

Best place is here.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 04:13 AM UTC
Serp,

From what I seen a lot of here, is the use of a "green pad." Not sure if you're in the states or not......

Little pieces of the GP, dampened with paint (very slightly dampend), work wonders. There are many stunning examples of this technique here on the "A."

Mike
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC
In general, my advice is to go easy with chipping. It is fun to try and looks good, but not really very realistic many of the times. Look at real tanks (www.Primeportal.com, etc) and you will see that chipping on the modern stuff is really minimal. To add interest go for dirt, oil stains, paint wear, etc. Of course some chips are ok, but it is often overdone. Try to imagine how each chip was made before you place it (ex: bullet hit, rock, etc). Tone them down afterwards. Add other effects to break them up.

To actually make them, I use a small brush and thinned enamel paint that you can remove off the acrylic base if overdone.

Just my 2 cents. Dmitry

PS: the MiG article posted above is very GOOD.
SerpentSix
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 07:21 AM UTC
Yeah, I think chipping can be overdone. I didn't think the lifespan of T-34's was that long so the opportunity to get peeling paint was that good. Covered with mud, yes, covered with chips? I have read the MIG article, but my aspirations don't match my skill. lol. The bottom of this guy is covered with experiments. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep trying.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Gosh you guys have them poor Russians losing tanks like crazy to the Germans.

In Jest.

{no Chipping} Yes as the war Progressed I think their were not that many {T/34's} destroyed as Germany was running out of Tanks to face them
 _GOTOTOP