_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hedgerow cutters
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 11:11 AM UTC
I'm currently building the Tamiya Cromwell IV and have just attached the hedgerow cutting device. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to paint the cutter. I know that most of these were add-hoc devices made out of scrap iron - many salvaged from tank traps on the Normandy beach! I was planning on painting it a dark metallic-grey, with a good coat of rust dry-brushed over it. Then I'd lightly over-paint that with olive drab - the overall color of the tank. I would probably do the edges in a brighter silver to simulate where it would rub against the hedges. I was just wondering if anyone with more knowledge of these devices could give a little input - like whether they were painted to match the vehicle or left bare. Thanx.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC
Of course a lot would depend on how much the device had been used, but one thing strikes me after seeing the recent Battlestations on the HC. And that is somehow I doubt they had a lot of time to paint the hedgerow cutters olive drab. Maybe they did. Just doesn't seem like after seeing this film clip of them cutting them up with welding torches and welding the pieces together that painting would have been high on the "to-do" list. Of course these were B&W film clips so hard to tell. Just an idea that might add a bit of realism.

Also I would imagine if the material used was steel, that the effect of rubbing against numerous hedges would have been similar to how a lawn mower blade looks when used. Not recently sharpened mind you (then it's more shiny). So I think a steely dull look would be the way to go. But then again what if it had only yanked through a single hedge?

Jim
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 06:52 PM UTC
Hi!
I didn't make one, for myself, but what Jim said do makes sense, it probably wasn't OD painted, just bare steel with a lot of rust all over....I would try this way.
My 2cents
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 - 08:49 PM UTC
If they were cut from the beach barricades, they would most likely be rust colored primer. Those things sat in salt water, but I doubt they were dropped in without some type of painting to keep them from rusting. Remeber, they were supposed to last for a 1,000 year Reich.
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm thinking the bare metal look is what I'll go for. A used lawnmower blade is probably a good analogy. I'll probably do the edges in a slightly brighter silver - I get the impression these cutters were pretty sharp, so the edges were probably sharpened with a grinder of some sort (?) Thanx for the input, guys.
DarbX1605
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 07:31 AM UTC
I have to agree with KMM. Personally id use a dull steel undertone, with a little rust and the effect of sharpened edges. Drybrushing a brighter steel on the tips would be my suggestion.
KMM
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
I'm also thinking of using some Testor's red-putty to simulate mud and soil that's been crammed into the corners of the blades. If its going to look that used, however, I may lay off the brighter silver on the edges. Ought to look pretty cool, I'm just going to have to make sure I put as much work into the rest of the vehicle!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 - 07:19 PM UTC
Go for it KMM, and let us see the finished model soon!
Cheers!
DarbX1605
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 08:50 AM UTC
I'd like to take a gander at it as well.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 09:27 AM UTC
I think Jim is 'spot-on'. His input sounds completely accurate, even though the germans had a bit of time to build the beach barricades, I still don't think that painting something that was 'underwater' for most of its predetermined life was a priority for the 'Ost' battalions that were manning and building the defenses. And I believe Kenc' might be able to support me here since he hails from the coast I believe, that salt water is one of the most amazing and quickest corosives naturally available.

Tread.

P.S. What the hell do I know....I'm married.
 _GOTOTOP