_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How would you airbrush a tank hull?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
I am getting ready to try airbrushing my first 1:35 scale tank. It will be solid Panzer grey and has individual plastic track links. I figure I have several options

1) Airbrush the upper hull, lower hull, and road wheels seperately. Glue the road wheels to the lower hull, apply the track links, and glue the upper hull on.

2) Glue the road wheels to the lower hull. Airbrush the lower hull and road wheels as a unit, and the upper hull seperately. Apply the track links and then glue the upper hull on.

3) Glue the road wheels to the lower hull. Glue on the upper hull and airbrush as a uinit. Then attach the track links.

I am leaning toward the first option, but what do you guys think?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:27 AM UTC
It depends a little on which kit you are building but I would
choose option 1 based on the information you give.

If the tracks are reasonably accessible with the upper hull
in place I would assemble upper and lower and then airbrush
(complete hull, wheels and tracks).

Anything that needs to be glued after it has been painted
will usually require some "touch-up" of the paintwork afterwards.
/ Robin
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
My own method is usually to build the tank with the upper hull joined to the lower, but I don't glue the road wheels on. I may complete the tracks (if link to link) on the vehicle but take them off with the wheels. I will then spray the vehicle in one go and do the wheels seperately as well as the tracks and then put these on the tank. Sometimes It's okay to glue the wheels on and spray the complete model, but I always do the tracks seperately. There can be problems though, with fitting wheels and tracks after joining top and bottom if the fenders are very close to the tracks.
 _GOTOTOP