_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Soviet T-72A color
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 12:09 PM UTC
I have done much building on a Tamiya T-72M1 kit, with an added JS-models turret and Eduard barrel, but have yet to start painting. I want to do the Soviet version, but am not quite sure what is the right color. I know that older wartime tanks were done in monotone green which varied in shade due to what was available, but what about T-72's during the 1970's or 1980's? I don't have an exact timeframe or unit in mind for this project. Thanks.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi!,

I would use Tamiya Nato Green.

Jurjen
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
Green... what an original and helpful answer

yep,

the NATO green is used by many modelers, however I've heard of Tamiya XF-58 and a little XF-3 (yellow) being used. Add white if you care about scale effect.

Watch out for those sideskirts, they were apparantly only black during parades, in the field they were green or camo.

good luck with your model!

Matthijs

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC
Good-no horribly difficult camouflage patterns to try and mimic.

The tank is being done in the maneuvers mode, though I'm leaving the side skirts on even though I read they're normally left off.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 04:17 AM UTC
Deja vu. Didn't we have this discussion a month ago and once again as back then the simple answer of green evoked a negative response. It was funny the first time, and It might have been cute a second time but once again it wasn't backed up with a what color green/shade of green. I guess the rudeness of some still transcends this site.

There ae several ways you can go with the proper green. There is a MM enamel called Russian Armor green that is pretty good. Mixing it with different clors like MM Dark green or Medium green can yeild some nice variations. The Nato green probably would suffice as well.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
1. First of all, the other subject was the color of an early war t-34....big difference btwn that and a 1980's t-72. The deja vue I was reffering to was that you gave the smae smart alecky remark. So the question for you is

Who made you the site disciplinarian? If eveyone behaved in your manner, this site never would have grown. I don't know how many times someone has asked about zimmerit whether was it on a type of tank, what is it, how do I make it. I have probably answered some form of that question 200 times. Never once have I given a rude response. It is unnecessary and uncalled for. Answering green then following up with the correct shade of green is being cool, just answering green is being rude and condescending and not about what this site is about. For all you know the victim of your response could have been a 12 year old and a response like that makes him say the heck with the hobby.

I apologize to others for this, but once in a whle we all need to be reminded what we are about....to help this hobby grow and to spread knowledge to improve everyone's skills
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 09:21 AM UTC
...and the commentary surrounding the help is also deja vu...

I know some help can be...cryptic. But let's accept ALL help, no matter how it is phrased. (And Gary, didn't you have enough fun last time... ) My best advice is to offer your best help on the subject so the thread is as helpfull as possible, even if it is repeated. If nothing else, I am willing to be the broken record.

Now then...

T-72's were standard Dark Green and did not even begin to change until the Very Late 1980's (maybe) into the 3 color scheme. I have seen anything from as dark as a deep Black Green to as light as very faded (almost looks like someone scrubed it with lye) medium green, about the color of the old US Marines MERDC scheme. Like Creamed Peas with a lot of white in them. Yuck. (I have matched it to a old bottle of Polly Scale Pullman Green)

Anyhow, your best bet for out of bottle is Model Master Dark Green. It even comes in a Spray Bomb. But since you have spent so much on aftermarket, I guess you will NOT "bomb" it. Best to use a light tan to lighten the green and use a dark brown (NATO tri-color brown) to darken it. This should give you nice defininition before shading and weathering.

Hope that helps.
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 11:50 AM UTC
A lot of people also use FS 34102 which seems to be a pretty close match for Russian 70/80ies green.

Thomas
 _GOTOTOP