_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Ukrainian T-84 "Oplot"
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hello to all!

As I plan to build a specific tank, of which I´m totally fascinated, I wanted to ask for help. I only came up with one drawing and some pics of the T-84 "Oplot", but I need more Info. Those few pics I´ve found are all official pics from www.morozov.com.ua.

But there are some difficulties as morozov mix up the pics of the Oplot with the "Yatagan" (version for turkish army,)

Thats what Im talking about:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/todorovicadreas/t84-nl.jpg

and not that:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/todorovicadreas/t84-17l.jpg

The Yatagan uses a 120mm gun and a huge turret.

Any other infos about the T-84 "Oplot" are most appreciated, as I only came up with one drawing and a handfull of useful pics.

I plan to use the SKIF T-80 as a "base" but using Dragons "Diesel-rear", as the T-84 should be a modernized T-80 UD, but with huge changes, like new all welded turret and many specific systems like the SHTORA etc. Any other advices on materials I can use?

Thanks ina dvance,

best regards,

Andy T.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Concord did an excellent book in their Mini Color Series about the T-80 with a bunch of T-84 pictures.
Here is one maybe useful link
Victor Chobitok site

Olivier
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hi Andy

This is just the info + pics you´re looking for

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product.php?prodID=1

Although my experience whit SKIFs detailing ( or their lack of) is not a very good one. But since Tamiya,Dragon nor Trumpeter have any t-84 (t-80) kits it seems that SKIF or Zvezda is your only options.

And be shure to keep us posted on your build

/
Christian

todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hy Guys!

@ Olivier: Thanks man, I totally forgot about that book. I have it in my stash but somehow overlooked it
It does not actually show the vehicle with its newest turret ERA BUT it shows all the other details I was looking for (Turret basket, engine deck, turret rear etc.)

@Christian: Thank you very much for the link, it´s just awsome! Many puics and infos to read through. Thanks.

Right now its very confusing looking through the materials. In many cases a "Yatagan" is shown as a "Oplot" etc......But I do my best and recherche a bit more. At weekend I will start using the Dragons UD engine deck and combine it with the SKIF hull (because of the correct mesurements). Then reshaping the turret....... It will be hell, but fun as well.......I hope.

Luckily I got some "spare parts" from miniarm for the SHTORA etc.

cross your fingers for me

Of course I´ll keep you posted.

Best regards,

Andy T.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hey Andy, make sure that since you are going through all the trouble to add the DML rear deck that you look over its...problems. Here is a shot of the most accurate deck SP Designs does, on kit #179 the Pakistani T-80UD m1991. This is the one with the best details matching the T-80UD engine deck that seems most common. HOWEVER, do not take this as gospel.

Click the link, then the pic of parts, it is in the lower left corner.

As for the differences, the main one is the redesigned turret. The hull, SFAIK is still the T-80UD hull without new improvements. The turret is where all the changes are, so the SKIF kit with the Eduard PE should be a big help...although you will need the SKIF and DML PE sets...

As for pictures, there just are not very many. There is still debate as to whether the Oplot version is even really in service with the Ukrainian Army, and if it is, it is in VERY small numbers. The T-84 Oplot is a more expensive version of the base T-84 and the Ukrianian Army has been having trouble just buying T-84's...

But I do hope you are able to do this conversion and show us a completed model soon!
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hy Jacques!

Thanks for giving me that great advice! I thought about just the same. Dragons engine deck has many problems.....

The turret seems to be THE REAL challenge, I couldn´t find any big differences on the hull, exactly what you said. The only one I thought is the new armor on the front, no Kontakt 3, seems to be something special? But since it is smooth its no problem.

What I´ve found out so far is, that the Ukraine bought 10 "oplot", showing them 2001 on a parade heres the picture:

http://www.morozov.com.ua/images/t84-indep10l.jpg

But I haven´t came up with anything eelse so far concerning it´s service.

I already organized me both PE sets and some "spare" parts. Right now I check the drawings for the exact shape of the turret. Not that easy as most is hidden under ERA and other details. But it somehow looks very close to the welded turret also seen on the newer T-90´s. Anyway, it should work.

Say Jaqcues, would it be possible to order the deck without getting the rest of the set? Could you check that with Sergej?

Anyway, I wanna thank you all for your great support and I do my bst to present some progress very soon

Best regards,

Andy T.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC
Ok, first, here are some good references, but be prepared to do some reading:

History of Soviet Tanks at Tanknet

Yatagan at Tanknet (Yes, I know, but look through it...)

Armor of the Ukraine at Tanknet

Armour Estimates at Tanknet

...and some interesting video's:

Weapons of the Ukriane

T-84 Oplot

T-80U with Reference to the T-84

OPLOT

Whew.

That said, I have heard a rumor that the Ukrainian Govt. may have them on "loan" rather than for them being fully paid items, possibly to help drum up business for export sales. Who knows?

As for the hull, you are essentially correct in that it is not the same K-5 ERA on the T-80U. It is Ukrianian developed 3rd Gen ERA, I forget the name, that is supposed to be on par with Russian Kaktus ERA. But a slab like that should be easy to do compared to the turret. Also, check out the area just behind the front fenders...looks like sheet metal "covers" or something. Brush cover?

For the back deck, yes, Sergej will sell individual parts. Timeliness may be an issue, so you may want to order direct from him since he is MUCH closer to you than I am. Opening up the engine deck to use the PE screens will be fun a fun challenge for you...I will try to photograph what I did to open up my deck, maybe tomorrow.

Hope that keeps you busy for a while!

todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hy Jacques!

Wow........that was a reading session.

Yeah, I also recognized the cover just behind the front fenders. what might be under it? Well........a mystery.......

Is there any contact adress for Sergej? Ordering from the Ukrain would be much faster, youre right.

Alright, i´m looking forward to your pics,

Best regards and thank you very much,

Andy T.
 _GOTOTOP