_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Flaked off color
Panzerkommandant
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

How I simulate flaked off color on armoured vehicles?
With a small brush and gun metal color?

Any tips are higly appreciated!

Thanks,Nils

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
Before you do this, please look at original source photographs. Chipped paint is far more common on models than in original armored vehicles.
HEERMAN
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 05:07 AM UTC
I agree with Al, I am a history buff and I am in the military. chipped paint may look good on a model tank, but on real tank's etc, there is hardly any. unless your doing something from North African, and here don't go overboard.

.ED
Panzerkommandant
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

I hoped for other answers, but when you say it is very rare, that this is to see on a tank then I will let it be.
Sure, modern AFV stays clean, cause when they are only used for training.
But a WWII tank which is in action for a cupple years, then some chipping should be to see?

Nils
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys.

But a WWII tank which is in action for a cupple years, then some chipping should be to see?

Nils

Most didn't survive months, nevermind years. For those vehicles that did survive for longer periods, plenty of opportunity existed for maintenance and refit depending, so the type of wear you might see say on construction equipment wouldn't be present.

Having said that, the introduction of paint chipping to a model is an aesthetic/artistic element popular within the hobby and up to you the builder depending on whether you are more interested in historical representation of the final finish or lean towards the artistic interpretation.
HEERMAN
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
Hi Nils, like I said before, chipping was rare but not uncommon, and take into account that for German Tanks which were harder to knock out, there would be hits form small arms and also tank hits which would dent and chip paint.

ED
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 07:24 PM UTC
And hastilly applied finishes chipped pretty easy(whitewash or DAK camo often chipped back to the base color). Like everyone says, check your refferences. I think some of the better effects are lighter scratches(like marring the paint but the same color), marks in the weathering, and scratches through camo colors to the base coats. Some models end up looking worse then ones recovered from lake beds 60 years later though. Search for chipping techniques, theres quite a few ways to do it, from grains of salt between color coats to oils, very complicated multi-color wear through marks, liquid mask for peeled off areas, and simple pencil lead on the edges for good ol' grime. Not to mention how you use it tells a story-chipping from removing/replacing bolts for maintainence, to taking fire, to scratches from running through heavy brush or debris from running through rubble.
Panzerkommandant
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks, that are some good inspirations.

Nils
 _GOTOTOP