by: Engin Kayral [ ]
Besides releasing new books on Figure Modelling, Theme Collections and Diorama Modelling; MrBlack Publications started a new scale model handbook series named Painting Guide.
The book is in A4 format with a laminated cover and 52 pages.
The first volume of the series consists of two parts ;
- A step by step Tutorial by Sang-Eon Lee
- Tips,Technics and Color Chips by Stelios Demiras
Sang-Eon Lee paints German Panzer Commander bust in 1/10 scale by Life Miniatures.
Chapter I - Preparation and Assembly ; He starts on telling how to prepare a model ready to paint by cutting with razor saw, drilling for pins and assembly with CA glue.
Chapter II - How to Paint with Water Based Acrylics ; After a brief info about paint types, a start up part, mistakes to avoid on acrylic painting, the importance of light and planar system with a very useful sketch.
Chapter III - Painting by Numbers, Sang-Eon Lee explains painting of German Panzer Commander bust step by step with photos in numerical sequence and detailed text. First he describes his Flesh Tone Painting System and gives color codes of Vallejo paints he uses. 51 photos for face, hair, eyebrows and eyes. 17 photos for the cap, piping and insignia, 50 photos for parka, shirt and sweater, Iron Cross, ribbon and binocular straps... and 8 photos for the finished bust.
Rest of the book is organized by Stelios Demiras as charts and tables for painting of this bust and many other German figures.
Chapter IV - Painted Colour Chips of the Equivalents for Vallejo Model Color and Jo Sonja’s Basic Hues; Equivalents for the following paints are given.
- Model Color Series by Vallejo
- Artists’ Series Tube Acrylics by Jo Sonja’s
- Equivalents of Vallejo Model Color & Jo Sonja’s Acrylics
- Figure Acrylics Series by Ak-Interactive
- Lifecolor Acrylic Paints by Astromodel S.A.S (Base Color Series & Federal Standard Series)
- Scalecolor & Warfront Series by Scale 75
- Scalecolor Artist Series by Scale75
- Kimera Kolors by Kimera & Pegaso Models
- Andrea Color by Andrea Miniatures
Chapter V - Relevant Colour Sets for Flesh and How to Use Them ; Vallejo, AK-interactive, Andrea Miniatures, Lifecolor and Scale75 flesh paint sets are explained on this part.
High printing quality, high resolution photos showing close-up details, explanatory texts on photos, color codes and paint recipes. A great reference for painting a German bust or figure. Second part of the book is really a treasure to know almost all paint brands on market.