_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New test shot T-62 Trumpeter
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't forget, just because some were in NATO's possesion, that they were available for scrutiny by mold makers.

We had a T62, T54(Tiran4), and a BTR-60 at Ft. Carson. They were pretty much on public display most of the time, that is when we weren't running them around down range. Back then U.S. bases were wide open to about anyone. Sure it was much the same at Ft. Hood, Ft. Lewis, and Veilseck. Back then I don't think most model companys got off their duff and measured anything.

Sorry, did not know that U.S. bases were open to the public back then, up here Canadian Bases did not open up to the public until the mid nineties.

cheers
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC

Well guys look at it this way, Trumpeter Is from where, China right ? They have more than enough T-62s running around over there. Every nut, bolt, and Turrret shape should be dead bang on. Heck they should have no reason for any part of this kit being wrong.
Now lets move on to the problem of getting them to actualy release the kit. No more empty promises. No more dangiling it in front of our noses. Give us the @#%$# kit. We know they have the molds. They know we will buy it. So whats the problem.
Just my 2 cents
Harry
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
There definitely is a captured T-62 on display at the Chinese People's Revolutionary Military Museum in Beijing - not to be confused with the Beijing Tank Museum which is located in Changping county by the Ming Tombs. The Beijing Military Museum specimen was captured during the border skirmishes with the USSR. It had sunk into a frozen river bed due to Chinese gunfire breaking the ice. Chinese combat engineers/divers recovered it under Russian gun fire from the opposing bank of the Ussuri River. I read an English translation on that particular incident 1-2 years ago. If i remember correctly, the Chinese tried to copy the autoloader design from that T-62 and incorporate it into an experimental tank design which reached the prototype stage but did not progress further due to the Cultural Revolution. The prototype hull now sits in the Beijing Tank Museum today.
Wingtsun
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:25 PM UTC
You are right Gary, there is no auto loader in the T-62.

Anyway the focus on the article was about how they got the tank. I read quite a while ago.

The article was a translation from a Chinese article about the event.
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
Hin guys

I've enjoyed this post alot. For one thing I've learned a great deal about the t-62 that I admit I did not know. I think what this all comes down to is Our hobby has advanced, and changed I would have to say for the better. Like was stated in one of the earlier entries Tamiya gave us a T-62 when we had none.
Many years ago on my very first day in the police academy . The instructor asked the class what is the best gun to have in a gun fight. Guys offered up about a dozen different types of weapons, that he said were all wrong.. After a few minutes we all sat there looking stupid. He smiled and said "Ladies and gentlemen the best gun to have in a gunfight is whatever gun you happen to have at the time.
When Tamiya released its T-62 it was the best model of a T-62. Well now we have a few more to chose from. I say the more the better.
Harry
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Don't want to sound greedy... but I want the entire T-series (and variants) in full detail, accurate, and everything... Magic Tracks, interiors, the whole she-bang (is this how it's spelled??)
The resin updates and corrections are fine, but simply can't afford them -- and usually require to change practically everything on the base kit.

So, Trumpeter, step up!
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
Andras, thats not greedy at all. The T-series is overdue to be retooled for accurate kits right out of the box. I really want someone to make a T-90 I can afford.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:14 AM UTC
Looking at the resin conversions, I have the feeling I can get a real one cheaper in the Ukraine
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 04:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Got this photo from Jan-Willem:

So what do you think?

Jurjen

Oh boy, here we go again.... Turret's frontal section is defenately wrong. Notice how high the and flat the frontal piece is around mantlet. Sloping looks odd too ( see pic). Also, the engine deck seem to be from the later version, but on standard T-62 hull
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh boy, here we go again....

It's a test shot, not the finial product. You might want to wait till you get in your hands before you start ripping it.

Quoted Text

Also, the engine deck seem to be from the later version, but on standard T-62 hull

And the difference in hulls would be.....?

1. It's better to point out such an obvious flaws before product goes final much rather then having spend a 4 to 7 evenings 9or 4 evenings, or 30 dollars on resin replacement, fixing it. Especially since this won't be $18.5 KV like kit, but a kit with latest DML pricing yet without it's quality. Though Trumpeter listen to community feed back and they do improve eventually, recall highly anticipated Wildcat and how much criticism it received once going on store shelves.
2. Difference is that it seems to be T-62 (Object 166) hull, but with T-62M's engine deck.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey George,

I too say wait. But keep on pointing out what you see as mistakes! The manufacturer's need to know we are keeping an eye on them so they do not try to "slip one by".

However, looking at the picture supplied from Trumpeter, the angle and lighting are kinda screwy. Looking at it closely, I think I see more turret contours than initially show up on a cursory view, but I might be mistaken as well.

As for the engine deck. you may be right, but Trumpeter may have just thrown some stuff together from the TWO kits they are making, and so put a early turret on the -M hull.

And (without looking) I think the engine decks are supposed to be seperate parts, so if they do screw up it should be MUCH easier to fix than Tamiya's.
 _GOTOTOP