_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New test shot T-62 Trumpeter
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:50 AM UTC
Got this photo from Jan-Willem:

So what do you think?

Jurjen
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hy!

Thanks for posting, Jurjen!

I don´t know why, but I don´t like it! Okay, it´s a real improvemet when compared to the old Tamiya-T-62 and it seems that it has a correct turret shape. I really don´t know how to explain it, it´s just my personal intention, but I don´t like it. But I´m sure that I will build it......

Best regards,

Andy T.

P.s.: Jurjen, what do you think?
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:21 AM UTC
Well, I'm definately not an expert on the T-62 but I think the end-result will be OK!:-)--<

It is just an in-progress photo but the turret dimensions seems to be correct. I hope they will release some more photos

Jurjen
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
[So what do you think?

I know its just an intial shot - looking at the road wheels they look a bit rough with the sink marks ( im sure they'll fix it!)

I have been waiting of some images of this kit - everything looks proper so far.

One thing this looks like its the T62M with the AA mount on the loader's hatch...can't see the turret rear to confirm though.

I also wished that Mr. T would roll out one of their versions.

I'll build at LEAST 2 -
Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC
Oh come on, it looks to be a VAST improvement over the old Tamiya kit. I know that things may yet change, and I am not going to judge one way or the other until I have one in my hot little hands, but it sure has the makings of a proper model.

I too wish that Mr. T would make one based on their T-55, but if wishes were horses...

...and I am still waiting on those BMP-3 kits...
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 04:56 AM UTC
Well I am not an Russia armor expert but
what is the difference between a T-55 and a T-62 ?
I have a the T-62 kit from Verlinder, shall i dump this resin kit and wait for this one ??

Cheers
Seb
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Another T-62 ........................excellent *tapps fingers* ( mr burns)
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh come on, it looks to be a VAST improvement over the old Tamiya kit. I know that things may yet change, and I am not going to judge one way or the other until I have one in my hot little hands, but it sure has the makings of a proper model.

I too wish that Mr. T would make one based on their T-55, but if wishes were horses...

...and I am still waiting on those BMP-3 kits...

Agreed. Looks to be much better than the old Tamiya offering. Anyways, I'll be building one for sure.

lol yeah, can't wait for those BMP-3s, oh, and the MAZ, oh how I"m salivating at getting that transporter.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I am not an Russia armor expert but
what is the difference between a T-55 and a T-62 ?
I have a the T-62 kit from Verlinder, shall i dump this resin kit and wait for this one ??

Cheers
Seb

Though it was later overshadowed by the T-72, the T-62 was the "tank to beat" in the late 1960's and early 1970's, and was one of the main reasons the US Army rebuilt its aging M48 fleet with 105mm guns in 1974. The T-62 had a new turret with a 115mm smoothbore gun and a stretched hull with different wheel spacing. It saw significant combat in the 1973 Yom Kippur War, in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion/occupation in the 80's, used on both sides during the more recent war against the Taliban, as well as by Saddam Hussein's forces in the 1991 and 2003 Iraq Wars (mostly North Korean built versions).
Verlinden's update sets for the Tamiya kit are based on the Tamiya parts and don't correct the turret or hull shapes--they just add some detail. The old Tamiya kit was overscale and misproportioned, while the turret was not the correct circular shape and was too shallow. This new effort from Trumpeter looks far better.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC
Allthough I am no expert, the new T-62 looks very good and if they correct the huge sink marks in the wheels and develop the kit further it looks like a winner.

One will find its way to my stash
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 08:48 PM UTC
hi , I am puzzled as to what sink marks are being refered to . The real wheels have large odd shaped cut outs and small tear drop . I cannot see for the life of me any faults with the wheels . Please do not slag a kit off tiil all the detail photos are available cheers ian
VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi,

I build my T-62 back in the middle 80's with a replacement turret (if I remember right it was from MR-models), when techniques as preshading, filtering etc. were unknown to me... The more I compared it with pics the more I was disapointed with its overall shape (the replacement turret ok, but the hull )
So please Mr. Trumpeter release this one (and don't let some "paper tanks" ;-) overrun!).
@Ian: the sink holes (on the wheel hubs) really do look bad, but you're right, this is surely a pre-production run, so any conclusion regarding the production quality will be short-handed. (Or does someone believe, they release it without tracks;-)) It only shows that working on the kit goes on and that is really a good news!

Volker
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks to Gary for the Pictures
and special thanks to Gerald for the lecture on T-62
Seb
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC

What does the rear of the turret have to do with anything? The I.D. point is the the loaders hatch with the AA mount.

Many of the T62 model 67 and model 72 had grab handles on the turret rear.

Chris
nicocortese
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thanks for posting!
looks pretty good..although i'm sure there will be some work to do to get it just right....plumbing,tracks.. etc..
from what i can see wheels look like Tamiya T-55 copies..the ribbing should be thinly convex..not concave!
Anyway, light years ahead from the Tamiya kit..
Nick
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi , I am puzzled as to what sink marks are being refered to . The real wheels have large odd shaped cut outs and small tear drop . I cannot see for the life of me any faults with the wheels . Please do not slag a kit off tiil all the detail photos are available cheers ian

put bold text here

Ian, Look at the 1st, 3rd and 5th road wheels - now do you see what I mean? I am sure this is still pre production stuff so they 'll fix it up.
Like I said, I build at least 2!! I am excited about the T 62 for sure.

Gary, thanks for clearing the grab handles up. I, did indeed get it backwards.

Chris
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:29 AM UTC
What's the release date for this?
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
Perfect, Trumpeters timing couldnt have been better!

The new t-62 will be a perfect start for my North Korean Ch`onma-ho tank project. When i get a hold of it, that is.
Release date...anyone?
Hot-wheels
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi guys

I really don't think we should compare this kit to Tamiya's T-62. Let 's not forget that Tamiya released his kit during the cold war. It was a time when getting a real live Russian MBT to measure, and scale was a just a bit harder than it is today. Now, Some of us older gents on the site should think back to when Mr, Tamiya released his T-62 . I know myself, and the local IPMS chapter I was with at the time were so excited to get our greasie little hands on anything on the lines of modern Russian . A Russian MBT seemed like a gift from the model building gods.
Well, as we all know, the world has changed a great deal since then. These days one can almost buy your very own real live and in running order T-62, heck maybe even a T- 72 from Amazon.com.
So let us not be so quick to compare the two, and just be happy for a new addition. Just my two cents
Harry
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
well, Tamiya-san did give us a T-62 when there were none, but they also screwed up the turret, which the box art shows they knew should have been different. I NEVER thought the Tamiya T-62 was a great kit, but it was the only "modern" Russian MBT kit for a long time...

So where is that Trumpeter kit? (Rumor has a Sept'ish release date...but no promises.)
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It was a time when getting a real live Russian MBT to measure, and scale was a just a bit harder than it is today.

Don't know about that. There were several T62's in the States and in Europe in OPFOR units. I know, I drove one in Ft. Carson in `79. They'd got them from the Israelis after the `73 war. I think it was more that the standards weren't as high then as they are now.

Don't forget, just because some were in NATO's possesion, that they were available for scrutiny by mold makers.

cheers
 _GOTOTOP