_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AEF Designs anyone?
ginge82
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:43 PM UTC
I've been searching for an IDF project for a while and have finally settled on a IDF Puma APC with 'Doghouse'. I looked initially at Legend Productions Puma but could't find the 'Doghouse' (a bizarre turret with windows)

The other day I stumbled upon an Israeli company's website called AEF Designs (www.AEFDESIGNS.COM) who produce the complete kit and I wanted to ask some more experienced guys if they had ever come across the company and whether they are any good.

I would really appreciate some advice from modellers who have seen/built their kits before I purchase a pretty expensive kit from them!
The Puma Ram kit looks great to me but I thought I would ask about them before ordering.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC
AEF......... Quality seems to be Hit or miss as does thier Service............
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 09:22 PM UTC

Hi Steven,
Think can help with drawings for "basic" Puma --filed away some place-

was a "rush " scratch build a few years back
Dog house should not be too hard to do ---as for Puma Ram ---got it on bench at the moment ----it is quite involved and I am building from pics (as usual).......
As I no longer build (pics) on -line I am sorry that you will have to be on your own with this one .........good cutting
Teddy -bear was from pics ........last on-line build

Will see if can find drawings
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 09:25 PM UTC
Blast models makes the Doghouse as well. You could combine it with the Legends Puma.
http://www.blast-models.com/

R&J products in the US sells Blast as well.
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
That would be great Steve if you can find them! I recently read the dozer build, I can't believe you threw it in the bin at one point. Excellent build.

After initial feedback from you guys I'm getting cold feet about AEF Designs. So it looks like legend Puma With Blast 'doghouse', although it would have to be modified because I think that doghouse is for the 'Nag Man' on a M113 base.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steven.
iowacentral
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 03:35 AM UTC
Better yet, wait a bit and Cromwell Models is set to release some 1/35th scale conversions. I have heard nothing go about AEF, but I have never dealt with them personally. The problem is they have conversions for things that nobody else does. The best company for Israeli conversions is Legends. I have never seen a bad kit from them and they have many conversions on the market. My next big project is the conversion of the M48A3 to the Israeli Magach 3. Also, have the Nagman conversion from Blast, and it also looks very good. Their is my 2 cents.
Scott
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Steven, I would be very wary of anything done by AEF. I have bought stuff from him before and his products are hit or miss, and you never know which one will be which. I won't even go into his custmer no service . Bottom line unless you can see it firsthand before buying (which is unfortunately next to impossible) I wouldn't spend the money. It's sad because he really makes some unique stuff.

Mike
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Run, don't walk away from this company. Gary's right AEF Designs is in Kirk, County, Colorado - NOT Israeli. Tony has been in the game A LONG time now and used to do some Hollywood models (Aliens) as well as ID models for the IDF. His stuff is really hit or miss - Huge overpours, Titantic sized sink holes, copied parts, No or partial instructions, missing parts, etc....
AEF Designs quality seems (?) to be on the rise over the last 4-5 years, but its still hit or miss at best. I have purchased @ 300.00 in kits from him over the years and its a mixed bag. Having said this - some of the parts/sets are usuable (even if you have to copy or rebuild some of the parts.)

Stick to the Legends or Blast sets - The blast stuff is QUITE nice I have the Nagman on my bench right now.....

HTH
Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC
One place to get AEF stuff from where the customer service IS good is from Andrew Spencer at Historica Books. No garuntee that the BASE AEF product is good or not, but Andrew is top-rate on making sure customers are happy. I have NO affiliation with this company.

Now, having said that, the Puma you want is not in stock there, but since he is located in Colorado, maybe he will do a "special Order" and also be able to inspect the pieces before hand for you...

However, I would probably look into other sources for the kit, including scratchbuilding, as my AEF experiences are as "colorfull" as all others on this board. But sometimes you can get some real good stuff too...
ginge82
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
Wow! You guys have saved me quite alot of money:0) Its a shame he's been in business for two decades and yet the quality is still suspect.
I just guessed it was an Israeli company, American?

My suspicion was aroused when AEF posted pics of the actual vehicle rather than a pic of the kit so I'm extremely glad I asked your advice, the great thing about this site I suppose.

As for this project now? I might just buy the Legend Puma and wait patiently for the Cromwell Conversion then. If 'scratchbuilder Steve' can find his drawings maybe I will attempt something but I doubt my ability is up to the task at the moment. I've been looking at the Nag Man's some of you guys are building and I like it more and more. Might just go for that.

My father is building the Legend IDF Humvee Tow I bought him from Ian Hanratty at Friendship models and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a little jealous of him with his fancy pants resin, so I might just go and give Ian a call!

Once again thankyou guys for helping me not get my fingers burnt again!

Happy modelling,

Steven.
Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Better yet, wait a bit and Cromwell Models is set to release some 1/35th scale conversions. I have heard nothing go about AEF, but I have never dealt with them personally. The problem is they have conversions for things that nobody else does. The best company for Israeli conversions is Legends. I have never seen a bad kit from them and they have many conversions on the market. My next big project is the conversion of the M48A3 to the Israeli Magach 3. Also, have the Nagman conversion from Blast, and it also looks very good. Their is my 2 cents.
Scott

I'm looking on the Cromwell site, but can't finde any info on the upcoming Israeli releases other then some Merkava sets... maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

oh, and to answer some questions about the AEF kit i have from a PM: I have the 'KC-25 "Nagmashon Monster" Low intensity conflict' kit and contents of the box are a bit of a mixed bag. The upper hull is very nice and crisp. The lower hull on the otherhand is not... I have no idea how the two are supposed to fit together, I think it's going to take a lot of cutting and sanding. The instructrions I recieved seem to be for kit 'KI-114 - IDF Centurion APC"NAGMASHCON-2"'. the interior seems kind of basic, and a large amount of resin needs to be removed from the underside of the floor. The "Dog house" is also nicely cast, but to the eye, it looks too tall, and the details look very diffrent from the photos of the vehicle I have... if you look at my post below, there may be some more info.
http://www.armorama.co.uk/forums/100655&page=1

Like other folks said above, you really need a chance to see the kit before you buy it, witch is really a shame because AEF has some really intresting subjects. I'd love to build a L-33, Sherman Ro'em SPG, but i'm hesitant to spend the money if I cant see the kit.

I really wish AEF would improve their website so that you can see some pictures of the actual models finished, built and unpainted, with all the pieces still on the casting blocks.

Mike McGregor
iowacentral
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 05:15 AM UTC
I saw that they were going to release some conversions on another site. The tread I saw came right from Gordan Browne. Also, said they would be releaseing a IDF D9 Dozer, Teddy Bear.
Scott
 _GOTOTOP