_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wittmann's Tiger
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi Guy's,
I'm planning a small 1/72 diorama portraying Wittmann's Tiger (222 or 231?) during his attack outside Villers-Bocage. Would anyone be able to point me to some model kits suitable for constructing this Tiger. I know that Dragon has produced one of his Tigers (007), would this be suitable for conversion or too hard? If anyone knows where to find pictures of the highway or surrounding landscape please let me know. As you can tell, I want this to look as real as it can get.

Charlie
bazooka
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
hi chas
check out achtungpanzer.com
hope it helps
cheers bazooka
bazooka
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:28 AM UTC
it`s me again
sorry i forgot some
you have to check the aditional informations on achtungpanzer.com
there you find a small bio and some pics that should help
cheers bazooka
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guy's,
I'm planning a small 1/72 diorama portraying Wittmann's Tiger (222 or 231?) during his attack outside Villers-Bocage. Would anyone be able to point me to some model kits suitable for constructing this Tiger. I know that Dragon has produced one of his Tigers (007), would this be suitable for conversion or too hard? If anyone knows where to find pictures of the highway or surrounding landscape please let me know. As you can tell, I want this to look as real as it can get.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, welcome to the site! I'm not going to reccomend a kit since I build 1/35 I know very little about what's available in 1/72, hopefully someone else can help you there. I have just a little historical advice, after much study and discussion it is now thought that Wittmann's ride at Villers Bocage was either 231 or 212, not 222. I know some prominent authors have identified 222 as "his" tank but upon close study of the pics available 222 can be ruled out. Here is a link to a thread on this topic that was just started today as well over on Missing-Lynx.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1182757639/Don%27t+shoot+me+---+another+Wittman+question%21%21

Personally I lean towards 212, but, as Baz Crook points out in the thread linked to above you just can't rule out 231 either.

As for pics of the highway and surounding area, here is just one link with some shots I found.

http://www.desertratsorg.btinternet.co.uk/Villersbocage.htm

Pics of the aftermath of the battle are pretty commonplace in many books and on the web.

Cheers,
Mike
ALEX_HELLAS
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
As about Wittman and his tanks check this site http://www.panzerace.net/english/index.asp
 _GOTOTOP