_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Maquette's T-37a build and finished pics (man
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 08:11 AM UTC
I guys, this is a little filler project i decided on while not wanting to get into something big, this is the Maquette offering of the T-37a.
As most of us know Maquette kits are not the best or easiest to build by any means but sometimes they are the only option for certain vehicles in plastic so we have to take our chances.

First up the boxart,

Whats in the box? as you can see not much at all ,

The parts themselves are actually fairly well molded and with little or no flash which is suprising, the tracks and running gear are very crisp considering so i was a little suprised and felt a slight feeling of optimism at this point.

I began by constructing the main tub and upper hull and my optimism soon faded, quickly it bacame apparent that there was no way these parts were ever meant to go together so i fit them the best i could and hoped putty would do the rest.

The rest of the build went quite well in comparison with a few sink holes to contend with and of course the gaps in the upper hull but i was actually enjoying myself at this point, the wheels and tracks went together well and in my opinion look very good when on, i had to scratch build a couple of small items to replace bad moldings also a mesh screen for the rear vent but nothing major, i also drilled out the lights and used clear apoxy for lenses when everything else was done.

With the build finished quite quickly after all there really wasnt that much of it nor was they very much of the actual real life vehicle it was time to get on with the painting, the kit did not supply any markings at all so it was in the spares box i went looking, i had already decided what vehicle i was going for and luckily enough i had just the thing.

The vehicle i decided on (below) Presumably belonged to 172nd Separate Recon Battalion/142nd Rifle Division. The turret features pre-war tactical designations: an interrupted white stripe and a continuous red stripe, which denotes that the vehicle belongs to the 2nd company/1st battalion in a regiment. Northern Front. July 1941.

I painted my model with MM acrylic "dark green" and weathered it with oils i decided to keep this one fairly clean looking for two reasons the first being it was an amphibious vehicle so i wanted it to appear like it had been in water recently and the second reason was the size of the model, this is roughly the size of a regular tank in 1/72 scale and too much weathering might look out of scale or at least to me.

Finally here is a couple with a figure i have been practicing on to show just how small this vehicle is.

Well thats thats, another build done and on the shelf and i am pleased with the outcome these kind of kits are always fun for me because theres never anything to lose with them except a little time and sometimes a nice looking model is there to be gained, Thanks for looking and as always feel free to comment in any way.

Ron.
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:29 AM UTC
Very nice Ron, I have one of those, but am too scared to start. Are those kit tracks? Green is well weathered I think. I think the tracks are a little shiny for my taste, but maybe they look different in reality. Thanks for sharing. Dmitry
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 11:47 AM UTC
I salute anyone actually finishing a Mar-kit-from-hell, looks good Ron.
Perhaps someday I'll actually finish the one I'm working on, and off, on and off.
VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi Ron,

I like your T-37a. The green looks good to me and you captured the "wet look" of the suspension very well.

Volker
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thank you Dmitry, Dave and Volker for your comments they are appreciated.

Ron.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
Very nice work and it is done before I finished my SU-100. Congrats!
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:37 AM UTC
Thanks Jacques i appreciate your comments but to be fair there were probably more parts in your engine block alone ( and a beauty it is) than in this entire model but i do so like to build these little kits for the collection.

Ron.
 _GOTOTOP