Hosted by Darren Baker
Quick note about 'Cold War' campaign
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
Just to let eveyone planning to be involved with the Cold War campaign know that all info as far as rules and dates can be found in that loooooong thread, "I'd like to propose a contest.'

Please keep using that for our campaign posts. No reason not to... And, we still have people signing on. AWESOME!

We have a few weeks before the Cook-off launch date, but as Gunnie has suggested, use this time to get your kits, do some research, or feel free to get started (make sure you document your progress).

The rules are fairly flexible to allow most everyone to participate and have FUN!

Some people have mentioned banners, graphics, etc. If you have the resources and ambition, feel free to come up with some logos, campaign ribbon, etc. for the 'Cold War Cook-off.' Feel free to post your work in the loooong thread or email them to me (please PM me if you'd like my email).

With world events, my mind won't be on hobbies. But, I think we will have a great build with some great models as a result. Right now, my thoughts are far from here...

Keep using our thread and keep us all posted with your pre-campaign progress.

Thanks!
Steve

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Steve, just a suggestion, but you may want to cut-n-paste the vital information from the 100+ thread into this one to recap all the rules, dates, etc. Take a look at what I did for the Barbarossa Campaign in the campaign page. They can still refer to the thread to insure their kit meets the timeframe specified by the Cold War.

It will be easy to miss info sifting through that many posts.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
Cold War Cook-Off

Hopefully I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes here, but I thought it would be best to consolidate all the various rules for the campaign into one post. I’ve skimmed through the posts and have copy/pasted pertinent information into one post. You may notice something you wrote in these next few paragraphs. The majority of the words are not my own. Gunnie did a pretty good recap of the rules:

Dates: Build begins April 13, 2003 and ends June 30, 2003.

The theme is "Cold War" - time period from 1950 to 1990. Not only are US and Soviet machines eligible - but machines from many different conflicts during this time period are eligible as well - because the "Cold War" between the two superpowers was played out in many different areas. (FYI, the USA officially uses the dates 2 September 1945 to 26 December 1991 as the Cold War).

Japanese, West German, Warsaw Pact, Israeli, South African, Arab, Indian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern Forces, and Egypt. Basically any country’s modern equipment that falls between 1950 and 1990 is valid for the campaign. Make sure that the variant or markings are proper for a vehicle used in this time frame.

The only machines excluded would be Persian Gulf War (Desert Storm) 1991 and going forward to today. (We made allowance for one exception - a Leopard 2A5 because the modeler really wants to build it).

Out of the Box to super detailed is okay - just build it and finish it - modeler's choice! You may build more than one.

As far as prizes, I think the campaign ribbon is the only one designated.

Soft skins, rockets, artillery, etc. are allowed.

We hope people are able to do a little research about what they are building and maybe even the conflict in question. Its good for all of us too not only build, but also learn something new. If we then share what we find out, we'll all benefit.

A primary goal is to get people to build some of those modern kits they may have in the closet.

The "spirit" of the Campaign is to select and build a model along with the other participants. It's difficult to keep people from "dusting off the shelf" (using a previously built kit to compete) - so the honor system is in effect with us all.

Providing in-progress photos and updates helps out here too - and we can spur each other on to completion. The completion photo should be the one that "earns" the modeler his or her Campaign Ribbon.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:02 AM UTC
Great idea for a campaign, Steve. Very nicely compiled Rob. I wll be signing up.
Good luck to all!
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
It might be nice to see a list of planned builds at sometime. I can build either Russian T72M1 or British Chieftian Mk. V. Already have started my research and both kits are in my inventory. Even have been investigating PE kits.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
I'm in.It will be a build of a copy of my Cold Warrior,CHAOS.
M-60A2,ser # 4863. I will actually have to buy another Tamiya M-48 for the searchlight,and fireextinguisher handle box.
I will be able to post side by side pix of the first one I built back in 1977,though that did recieve upgraded tracks,and the searchlight.
OOO boy!
#:-) #:-)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
When you "enlist" into a campaign, you get a journal to add entries. Folks can list their proposed project on that page for all to see.

BTW I tried to be as thorough as possible when listing the rules but I am only human and may have missed some vital information listed somewhere in the numerous pages of that thread. Feel free to point out any error or omission.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC

A million thanks Rob! This is a big help for all.

Your help is most welcome and greatly appreciated!

Steve
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Rob,
Thanks for taking the time to consolidate the rules. I am sticking to my plan to build and AFV club M548 cargo carrier. I scratchbuilt one 20 years ago so I will be able to compare the kit with doing it the hard way. I'm giving the old one to my boss who served in Germany at the height of the cold War so it won't be wasted. The new one will be filled with racks of M15 Anti Tank mines. I imagine there are lots of combat engineers who remember laying those damn things. The worst part was having to pick them all up again.
What is the proper mechanism for enlisting and getting a journal?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When you "enlist" into a campaign, you get a journal to add entries. Folks can list their proposed project on that page for all to see.

??? Is this campaign in the campaigns page already? Sorry, haven't checked and it's going to be me first time to join. Please clarify. Thanks
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:27 PM UTC
Oops. Disregard previous post. I understand now (just checked the campaigns page, enlisted in the Barbarossa campaign, and got the feel on how it is).
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We have a few weeks before the Cook-off launch date, but as Gunnie has suggested, use this time to get your kits, do some research, or feel free to get started (make sure you document your progress).

You really really really mean I can start now? I thought we all start at the same time? Pardon my ignorance...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
T-55 for me plus the addon tracks. So where do we post this at. Great job Rob on getting it all together otherwise would of taken longer to find the rules then build the model
Donatelo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 05:09 PM UTC
I'm ready with my Patton Tank. Is this on the campaign page yet? I'll get pictures on as soon as we're on.I'm a WWII buff, but I'm excited about the modern build. It will be fun.

Don Porter
Sabot
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
I just realized we never mentioned anything about scale. Is the scale going to be restricted to 1/35 or is it open to other scales like 1/72, 1/48, etc.? Not that there is much available in scales other than 1/35 or 1/72.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 04:28 AM UTC
Rob first of all thanks to have clearly summarized what are the "rules of engagement" for the campaign.
Just one more question to this forum: I'd like to build a B1 Centauro who entered service in the Italian Army but was used in a Campaign in Somalia during 1991, just to show a subject that is a bit "different" from the others. I only model Italian subjects from WWII onwards, and I'd like to stick to that. As you know, Italy has non been direcly involved in any conflict before the peace keeping mission in Lebanon in 1982. In that case I could build the 6614armoured car from the Cavalleggeri di Lodi (15°), a Regiment of the Italian Cavalry. the platoon that I used to command in Lebanon in 1983.
Just let me know, even if my first choiche is the B1...
Ciao
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just one more question to this forum: I'd like to build a B1 Centauro who entered service in the Italian Army but was used in a Campaign in Somalia during 1991, just to show a subject that is a bit "different" from the others. I only model Italian subjects from WWII onwards, and I'd like to stick to that.

Why not, I have no problem with it.

But, it would also be a great opportunity to try something new!

Steve
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Ok, I'll go for the Centauro
Thanks
Fabio
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
When will this campaign be added so I can enlist? I will be doing the Tamiya M48A3.
Good excuse to start another kit! Great idea for a campaign guys, Thanks!
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
Did anyone come up with a ribbon design yet?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 01:48 PM UTC
I have a Sgt. York on the way, would that be allowable? Never really hit service, but a few were made.

Also, will this be added to the Campaign page?
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
Is the MLRS allowed? I can't remember when it entered service.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
LTV was chosen as the contractor for the MLRS in 1980 and it was fielded for the first time in March of 1983.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
I've got the Tamiya M3 Bradley kit I think I'll do OOB. There is a nice picture in a Verlinden book showing a interesting camoflage paint job.

Alright, my 500th post! I've got a silver oak leaf.
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
I think I'll get in on this too. I don't have a digital camera, but maybe I can take the model to a friend's place for the final photos. Or take some shots with my camera and have K-mart put them on the web.

I have no idea what I'll build, I've got a whole shelf full of Soviet stuff.

Two and a half months - I'd really have to become a devoted modeler to attempt the Scud launcher. MT-LB? T-72? BMP-3? Scud...scud...SCUD! Oh heck, I'll decide later #:-)
 _GOTOTOP