Hosted by Darren Baker
Quality kits?
JimF51
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Looking for a few WW II German & US kits to build. I bought a Italeri Pzkpw IV and a Hasegawa Sherman, wasn't real impressed. Are there Tamiya quality kits (like their 1/35 and 1/48) available?

Is there perhaps a list where 1/72 kits are listed by rating? I know there are review lists out there, but they aren't the easiest to wade through.

Thanks.

Jim
stevegs
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Jim,
Try this site:
http://www.ontheway.org.uk/

Its dedicated to 1/72 and 1/76 AFV kits. Good reviews and features.

Steve
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
Jim,

I've been building some of the newer DML 1/72 kits and they've been great. They're typically marketed under the Armor Pro designation as they're updated and usually include some PE and DS tracks. Not the hardest builds and seem to come out nicely.

I've also built a couple of ICM 1/72 kits and I liked them, especially in the simplicity area.

- Frank
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 03:17 AM UTC
Sure. Tamiya makes lots of armor, both Axis and Allied. They are mostly in 1/35 scale, and the detail is pretty good.

emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 05:45 AM UTC
You can also try Revell's offerings in 1/72 scale. For German armor, they have 2 King Tiger variants, a Panzer III, a Panzer IV and a few other kits I can't remember in a whiff. They are good in detail and relatively easy to build. Attention to the tracks though, Revell tracks are in separate pieces, with 4 large pieces per track and single track links to connect them.

If you are ever into modern stuff, again their collection is nice.

With their current stuff, Dragon beats the game though...

Take my advice, stay away from Italeri. Most of them are reboxed Esci kits that are over 20, sometimes 30 years old.
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 05:57 AM UTC
Cybermodeler has some nice overviews of some 1/72 kits across various manufacturers. It's a decent starting point, even if some of the reviews seem universally positive.

As for Italeri, my son built the M20, which seems to be a newer release and I thought the molding was well done and assembly seemed good as well.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/armor72.shtml

- Frank
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:49 AM UTC
I don't think that such a list will ever exist, but you can get lots of info if you regurarly read posts in specific forums.

You can check out ML's Braille Scale Forum at http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 222 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:57 AM UTC
While I have to agree that Italeri isn't the best, I don't think we can totally knock them. I built an SdKfz 234/1 and the only problems with it were the modeller, not the model. On the other hand, I built a T-26 (Italeri/Zvezda) that was a bit of a job... the vinyl tracks needed to be hot-riveted and were just too tight.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
I've really come to like some of Italeri's 1/35th wheeled vehicle kits. Their Horch 15 staff car is a little gem and is, as far as I know, very acccurate. The Big Foot and Oshkosh truck kits have a few inaccuracies but overall ithey're really nice and look good finished. They lend themselves really well to super-detailing as well so you could go nuts if you like. Reasonable priced and good builds.

Here's a pic of the Horch 15....

Bob
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking for a few WW II German & US kits to build. I bought a Italeri Pzkpw IV and a Hasegawa Sherman, wasn't real impressed. Are there Tamiya quality kits (like their 1/35 and 1/48) available?

Is there perhaps a list where 1/72 kits are listed by rating? I know there are review lists out there, but they aren't the easiest to wade through.

Thanks.

Jim

Some Hasegawas (like their Sherman) are dramatically out of scale. Many are also quite old moldings. I have a Revell Mark IV that I'm working on, its quite nice, and I have a number of Dragon's (Shermans, Tigers and Panthers). The Tigers and Panthers have zimmermit and are great, the Shermans have P/E for the brush guards and periscope guards (they have plastic as well) and are really first rate. I also have a couple of Trumpeter Shermans, they are nice when compared with say the Airfix, but the pale in comparison to the Dragons.

John
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 01:41 PM UTC
the past several years i used to work in '35 armor, but recently i found myself working braille scale again after a looong hiatus. my last four armor finishes are actually braille DML and RoG and i must say i did not have much problems with them. for my next project am contemplating on UM models' su76. do you guys have any word or tips about this kit?

tnx!
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 01:49 PM UTC
The Dragon and current Revell kits are both really nice. Each has their good and bad points. I build mainly modern armor, but they 1/72 stuff has me tempted. I have one ICM kit that looks really nice. CMK/Planet Models make resin kits. They are expensive, but well done for the money. I don't have any of the Academy kits but they look pretty interesting.

The Italeri formerly Esci kits are horrible in my opinion. Some of the early releases were pretty inaccurate or very simple kits, but the M48, M60, and M113 tanks I thought were nice. I never liked the M1 though.

The Hasegawa kits I bought were, well interesting, but pretty toylike.

Airfix kits are actually 1/76 scale and pretty dated.
The Hasegawa kit
cach7
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 02:08 PM UTC
A buddie of mine just brought over a Hobby/Boss kit. The 1/48th T-34 with interior. It was a fantastic looking kit for 1/48th. Bought it through Squadron for $17. Don't like that scale myself but would consider trying it . That kit is very nice.
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 04:43 PM UTC
God, you guys! You're making me think I should have a look at working in 1/72 myself! Which leads me to ask the following question: how much harder is it to work in 1/72 than /35? I mean... really... how graceful do your fingers have to be? (Said while looking at my clumsy meathooks pounding on the keyboard.....)
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

God, you guys! You're making me think I should have a look at working in 1/72 myself! Which leads me to ask the following question: how much harder is it to work in 1/72 than /35? I mean... really... how graceful do your fingers have to be? (Said while looking at my clumsy meathooks pounding on the keyboard.....)

i don't think its really that hard. i guess a lot can depend on the kit quality and if your willing to add/ correct details. with DML/ RoG (well at least those i had worked with) seem good enough even if it was built out of the box.

honestly, before i went back to braille again, i also thought maybe it would be harder with all those fine or small parts. but surprisingly... it wasn't. really.
jowady
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You do have to be more careful, especially when cutting the parts off the sprues. Tweezers can be a help as well as an optivisor. All in all though they really aren't that difficult to build, just different from 1/35th.

John
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 06:28 PM UTC
good point on cutting parts... and to avoid those teensy weensy parts flying off to oblivion i found out it would be helpful if you place masking tape (with sticky side up) beneath the parts to be removed. once you think the partts to be removed are adhered to the tape, you gently cut it off with your preferred blade
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, considering the new Dragon kits, it's like you pour in the glue into the box, shake the box a few times and the kit assembles itself. Some of the parts will require caution especially removing from the sprue or cleaning as they are small and fragile compared to 1/35 scale. However, overally speaking, new 1/72 kits are very easy to build. One of my friends is a scale-freak, everything he builds is strictly 1/72 from tanks to airplanes to ships. While I can build and finish a single tank on a weekend, he can finish 5

If you are thinking about starting 1/72, get a decent Dragon or Revell and start enjoying the fun.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
Dragon and RoG by far have the best quality kits available. Some of the Italeri kits are pretty good but some aren't-depends on the kit being released or reissued. Hasies kits are very old and need updating
CH
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2007 - 01:41 AM UTC
First of all, I'm surprised that some folks who took the time to answer this post do not realize the original poster is asking about 1/72-1/76 scale kits (aka Braille scale).

Beyond RoG and Dragon, there are several Eastern European companies that make some very nice kits. Mirage, UM (Unimodel), Rodan and even Skif have some good kits in their collection. PST have some decent kits that need a little care. I do not care for ACE Models because they are limited run and require a lot of TLC (sanding, fitting, filling) to construct.

Italeri's new 1/72 scale kits are pretty good, but they have a good number of old 1980s era Esci kits in their product line. You need to check On The Way! to see what's inside the box before you buy. Same with some of the RoG kits. Many old Matchbox kits have been reissued by them, but most are marked as 1/76.

Academy has a line of 1/72 scale kits that are quite good. They are geared towards airfield dioramas and include multiple vehicle types per box.

RPM has a line of WW1 era vehicles but these are tough little kits to construct.

Emhar has a decent line of WW1 tanks as well.
CPL-Overby
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
[quote]First of all, I'm surprised that some folks who took the time to answer this post do not realize the original poster is asking about 1/72-1/76 scale kits (aka Braille scale).

You tell'm Rob,
Don't forget we who produce the resin kits.
I just finished my E-25
Ken
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies!

Well, then, I think on my next trip to the LHS, I will pick up one or two 1/72 models.... there's a few there that I've sort of been looking at but leery to do because of the scale. If it goes okay, and it sounds like it should.... hmmmm....... Tiger I, M60, M1, M2, M4.........

Guys, you may have created a monster!
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
For the Tiger, Revell of Germany's kit is better than the newer Dragon model.

The M60A1/A3 is limited to the old Esci kit reboxed by Italeri or the newer Revell kits that are better in some areas, but not great.

The M1 by Italeri (ex-Esci) is the best straight M1, the Revell M1A1/A2 are better than the Dragon kits.

Revell makes the only straight M2, but Dragon's M2A2 and M3A2 are nice kits.

Dragon's M4 series are pretty good, but you have to search info on a specific model. Some were missing parts, others had inaccurate suspension, later ones were retooled.
jowady
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the only straight M2, but Dragon's M2A2 and M3A2 are nice kits.

Dragon's M4 series are pretty good, but you have to search info on a specific model. Some were missing parts, others had inaccurate suspension, later ones were retooled.

Retooled 1/72nd scale M4s?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the only straight M2, but Dragon's M2A2 and M3A2 are nice kits.

Retooled 1/72nd scale M4s?

Yes, they retooled the VVSS suspension parts after errors were pointed out on the various Braille scale sites. They also did some retooling to the M4A3 105mm turret because of errors to the rotor noticed in the 75mm turret.
 _GOTOTOP