_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80UD prod1991 WIP
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hello Armorama:-H Here is my late model KhBTM T-80UD in progress. The base kit was thought provoking Skif kit and a range of SP Designs conversion sets plus a PE set by Eduard. This was my first time working with the full resin conversion set and, by far, longest project in the scale I've worked through. The fit and accuracy of the resin sets were quite high; nonetheless, surface quality was something to be dealt with, as a matter of fact, I spent more time bubble hunting then adding scratch built details. As of now turret is ready to be primed and, as soon as Modelfixer tracks arrive, hull will be shown. Hope you like the pics

todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hy George!

That is an awsome work! I can imagine how many hours you´ve had to spend building that beast that sccurate! My hat is off! keep us posted.

Best regards,

Andy T.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 07:31 PM UTC
Actually, if you don't take all the side projects and breaks into account, it only took about 3 weeks to go that far. My biggest issue with this one was finding good pictures of ZPU heavy MG system and engine deck. Also, apparently Skif kit's geometry is even worse than previously thought. Its upper hull is the only piece that is somewhat geometrically accurate. Chassis and lower hull turned out to be oversimplified and flat out lacking details, like the inspection hatch on lower rear plate. Worst surprise came when I realized that glasics were set at too high angle, so I had to remove it with all resin pieces already installed and rework whole front section, duh. Good thing replacement turret was alright dimensionally. Last but not least, some late model UDs received newer cannon during overhauls already after fall of USSR and there is info that some of them, mainly 4th Guardian Kontimierovskaya Armored Div. vehicles, received 2A46M-2 guns thus only ModelPoint's T-90/80 replacement can be used, which of course was all sold out wherever I looked. I decided to modify Skif's barrel as it was pretty close to M-2 caliber length wise and required removing thermal shroud and enlarging ejector cover.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hi George!

You have done some serious work on it! I would prime the turret in this state with a light greyish colour to spot some more airbubbles, seam lines etc etc. It make things a little easier.

Good job sofar and keep us updated!

Jurjen
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC
Yep, that's what I intended to do. Only 4 bubbles left near commander's hatch.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi,

that is looking great. Which book is shown on your last photo?

Regards,

Matthijs
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

that is looking great. Which book is shown on your last photo?

Regards,

Matthijs

That's Tankomaster special issue "Tank T-80"
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi George,

your last photo looks way better and much it is sharper. Your turret looks awesome.

Keep on going!

Jurjen
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
Decided to throw in a little update. 'Dirty' look is due to use of Milliput softened with alcohol; surface is actually smooth. Once new rims and wiring are done, I'll show primed hull to prove it. The tilted right mud guard was done this way because of damage on the real tank I'm trying to depict.
Cheers

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 05:22 AM UTC
Very nice work so far. I know what your pain can currently be ! I built the same kind of mix between the Skif kit and SP update sets.

I didn't use any PE but this looks great and adds a nice touch to the overall detail.

Olivier
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 05:31 AM UTC
That looks like a really nice piece of work. All the small detailing will make this one stand out in a crowd. Will be fun to see this one finished.

Erik
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
Where's the Skiff Hull?

Nice work George and I can't wait to see some paint on it.

Keep us updated please.

Jurjen
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
Thanks for your kind words all. As for pain, kits like Skif make it a really complex feeling. Here is a little weekend update showing slightly modified SP designs wheels. Mine were from the original set and rim was destroyed by bubbles and since reworked sets were all sold out I had to remake it with plastic strips. Chipping on rubber parts is to simulate tire damage

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 03:58 AM UTC
Good job on the plastic strips. Must have been a real challenge glueing it on resin,...

Jurjen
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC
Fruits of past weekend. I dint like how pressed out lines looked on previously posted photos so I replaced them with semi rod of much more accurate dimensions. As for the rims on wheels, they weren't a problem at all; whole thing was done in about one evening. Here are the bad news, certain hobby shop ran out of track set I really wanted, so until they are restocked I think I will use my new circular saw bit on DML's T-72 to fix it with SP designs set

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
George, is this area correct according to your research? (Red line)

I have looked and looked, but it seems that this part is WAY overdone by SKIF and should be a simple thin raise line for a rain guard or some such. I have removed mine from my build, but I hope I did not screw up!

By the way, excellent build. I have been watching your work with the various add-ons and you are doing the SP Desings conversion justice. Sergej's new hollow molded T-80U turret is much esier to work with than the standard "block o' resin" but he is swamped with orders (funny that, eh?)

Glad you like the TOS-1, Sergej worked hard to get that one updated. What are you doing for the BMPT?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC
Interesting progress George. I'm eager to see it painted.
Your work on the wheels rim is excellent. On my wheels I got some bubble trouble too.
Don't you want to use the SP tracks ? They are not totally flawless but they are better than any T-80 plastic or vinyl tracks currently available.

Olivier
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

George, is this area correct according to your research? (Red line)

I have looked and looked, but it seems that this part is WAY overdone by SKIF and should be a simple thin raise line for a rain guard or some such. I have removed mine from my build, but I hope I did not screw up!

By the way, excellent build. I have been watching your work with the various add-ons and you are doing the SP Desings conversion justice. Sergej's new hollow molded T-80U turret is much easier to work with than the standard "block o' resin" but he is swamped with orders (funny that, eh?)

Glad you like the TOS-1, Sergej worked hard to get that one updated. What are you doing for the BMPT?

Honestly I just let it be. On a real tank it's just a 2cm plate of armored steel to prevent small shells/ricochets/dirt from gathering under turret cheeks. With the original Skif turret this would be visible all the time, but it's not seen at all with SP Designs piece. Yeah, I flanked off on this one. I spent so much time researching different production periods and focusing on small details that I began losing my interest to the only remaining piece of plastic from Skif box. But here is the thing, thin strip of plastic would get
crushed by resin's weight whenever turret is rotated. I must admit I like his kits if only he would use vacuum molding One of my local resin addicts must have had a heading when I let him compare front glasics from TOS-1 kit with his miniarm's T-72B update; then I just finished him off by saying what the price was Overall, kit #200 is a huge step ahead (no bubbles yay), if he continues to improve his molding techniques, miniarm will lose its monopoly by next year or so. As for BMPT, it's going to be final version, seen on last year's exhibit in Omsk, Ramka-99, but for now I should keep it a secret.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting progress George. I'm eager to see it painted.
Your work on the wheels rim is excellent. On my wheels I got some bubble trouble too.
Don't you want to use the SP tracks ? They are not totally flawless but they are better than any T-80 plastic or vinyl tracks currently available.

Olivier

I wanted the Modelfixer track set as it's the only aftermarket set that actually reproduces double pivoting of actual track, but it was all sold out. Settled for second best and ordered Masterclub yesterday.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC
Ok, good, i did not screw up.

I relooked over pictures and yes, it is a pretty much a minor detail. i have noticed that with it removed my SP Designs turret sits much better on the upper hull.

As for that, I have been working on Sergej to do a one piece upper hull for the T-80 conversions. No luck yet.

We have also been hindered in the vacuum casting by the inability for him to get ahold of the proper equipment as reasonable rates. Now that the USPS has raised weights that can be mailed to the Ukraine, it is more likely. Currently he is looking into a vacuum system to de-air his rubber. As for pressure casting, that is in the future...and Sergej has wanred that doing pressure casting may double his prices...that is in the future too.

I too thought that the Miniarm front glacis' were way overpriced for what you get. I have shows the T-72A/B glacis and TOS-1 glacis to people and they are very amazed at what is being done without any pressure casting.

And keep up the good work. I know how tiring all that research can be...I hve done it too. But us pathfinders have to lead so others can follow!
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 07:30 PM UTC
We are vanishing kind, Jacques This is not really related to my WIP, but I feel I should mention this. Because of political tensions between Russia and Ukraine as well as severe lobbying to default and dissolve Omsk Transmash by Ural Wagon Zavod, T-80UD are being scrapped as their service life approaches it's maximum allowed limit. Thus, there are very FEW painting options you can use for late model T-80UD. First is La Manche invasion blue-gray-green-black scheme and early standard sand-black-green (one is for a particular armored div. near St. Petersburg, the other is for units based in Southern Siberia region). Only these units this particular model, so make no mistake painting your kit.
Cheers
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 08:21 PM UTC
This build is really coming along very nicely. You did a great job so far.

I am looking forward to see it finished.

Thanks for sharing
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
My understanding is that there are still a few T-80UD in Russian service (2 Regiments?) that MAY be overhauled with a new Russian diesel engine. Only rumors, but the diesel engine is gaining popularity in some military and industial circles. And the emphasis is on being a sort of multi-fuel diesel engine to boot. As for paint scheme's, don't forget the grey/green/black of the Siberian District. It is correct for a m1991 version of the T-80UD. And there is the Regiment outside of Moscow too...the 2nd Taman Motorised Infantry Division at the Golovenki proving ground.

Don't let the sensational politics and the media convince you that the third world war is coming!

Also, the T-84 has been standardized by the Ukraine, even though it has not been fully effected. Production is slow, but plans in the Ukraine are to rebuild the older T-80UD's to T-84 standard as they come due for maintenance. I was/am assuming you were referring to the Russian T-80UD's disappearing.

And what is your final solution for dealing with the tracks? Masterclub? I am not sure that the double pin movement of the Modelfixer tracks would really be visable in 1/35. It may be a nice effect that only increases build time and frustration... We will see.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Sorry for long delay, but I have some rather unexpected problems with my airbrush. I already applied base color and low tone shades. In the process, I replaced head lights with more detailed ones. I'm expecting to resolve hardware issues and show final results by next weekend.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 08:52 PM UTC
Time to show some basic color layout. Picture quality is poor due to insufficient night lighting. More to follow.

Tracks set finally arrived today. Boy, are they a treat.... I never used any of Masterclub offerings before, but this tracks set surpassed all of my expectations. Level of detail is unbelievable (will throw in some more pics w/ drawings tomorrow); they are fully workable and cast in odorless PUR resin.

_GOTOTOP