_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Another Brit from the falklands
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 01:16 PM UTC
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526495/message/1184202161/Another+1-16+scale+Brit+in+the+Falklands
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi Chris. Another very cool figure. Well painted again, but I think the the camo turned out better on the first commando guy than this one.
Hopefully you can understand what I mean .... the step by step you showed the first time .... the camo colours were a series of "blotches" and "tails", and these when integrating with the different colours, really made the DPM look authentic. This time, it appears to be too many "tails" and not enough "blotches". this is very apparent on the trousers at the front. Sorry for the poor explanation, but how does one describe the patterns of this camoflauge??
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 02:53 PM UTC
Wow, Chirs, that's really cool!

Who makes that figure? I never saw a 120mm L7A2 before.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC
I hate to sound critical as its a nicely painted figure...but...the DPM doesn't look like any DPM I wore while I was in the British army.Helmets were scrimmed with sandbags usually black, green or khaki.Noone would ever put a 58 pattern doss bag on the outside of their bergan as they were down filled and soaked up water so it would be in a plastic bag inside your bergan unless you wanted exposure. Theres no way of attaching a bumroll to a SAS/Para Bergan unless you use grenade rings and that would rattle being metal on metal so not an option.And he's wearing combat highs which didn't come in until well after the Falklands to replace DMS and puttees! That was one of the things that came out of the Falklands in that our troops had lousy boots.The fundamental errors are with the manufacture of the figure.Nicely done but wrong. Sorry!
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 03:28 PM UTC
In fact theres more errors with the figure. Not your work. The buttons on his SAS smock are too small,. they're a lot bigger in real life. The buttons on the figure look like those on a trop shirt. Just looked at the boots again and they're not HLC's. These have a toecap! HLC are without toecap. If they're meant to be DMS without puttees they're too high. What company made this figure?
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 05:05 PM UTC
Beautifully painted fig. Truly amazing. But I have to agree with the others on the DPM cam. It's better on the smock than on the trousers. Also, should the beige background colour be that light? Shouldn't there be a bit more green in it?
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 07:11 PM UTC
He looks great. Not often you see figures from that war.

Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC
Yes I liked the first figure much better, the material base color is more correct on this guy than the first, but you are right, the sculpting on this figure was quite poor, I talked to the sculptor and he informed me that this was never a full sculpt from him, this figure was assembled from parts of other figures. The first figure was a nice figure although a bit rough fitting it together. Mrosko
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:25 AM UTC
If anyone has an extra set of DPM's that they want to part with let me know, I plan on doing a few more British soldiers and would love to have the uniform in the raw sitting in front of me, then I will do a paint mix and let you know the correct mixtures. Thanks
[email protected]
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If anyone has an extra set of DPM's that they want to part with let me know, I plan on doing a few more British soldiers and would love to have the uniform in the raw sitting in front of me, then I will do a paint mix and let you know the correct mixtures. Thanks
[email protected]
size=1 color=#353535>

Hi Chris,

The DPM kit currently issued is slightly different in pattern to the stuff from the falklands.

Although the overall pattern is the same there have been variations in the shades and density of the coloured patches.

There is a site out there which shows the differences ill try to find it and post it for you

Regards

Joe
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC
Here you go

DPM

Just scroll down the page to the UK part.

68 Pattern is correct for the falklands war.
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 07:59 AM UTC
Joe
Great site.Thanks I would still like to grab a set. Mrosko
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:16 AM UTC
I Love that you can't see his eyes (as likely in real life from that angle). Adds a lot of personality which is ironic as it's usually the eyes that people zoom in on.

Cheers,
Jim
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hey Jim
What ever became of the ideal that you and I had discussed about a camouflage forum? Thanks for the comments. Mrosko
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 08:46 PM UTC
Good job Chris, but I have to agree with the other guys, the camo did turn out better on the first figure you showed us.

BTW, there is a really nice article written by David (spooky6) on painting the complex DPM pattern. He did a great job and the pictures are really worth 1000 words. Here's the link: DPM SBS

Mario.
 _GOTOTOP