Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1114
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonder how heavy it is.

Well the original doors on a M1114 were somewhere around 200 pounds.

And from the looks of that pic, I'd say they probably weigh 300 or so.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys

Mathew, you sound like you thinking the same thing I am. If those doors are not overly heavy, why not set the hinges up something like the hinges on house door { A open topped hing}. Add two or three grips on the inside of the door. When the problem happens and the doors handles jam, the doors could then be grabbed from the inside lifted off the hing, and removed.
It seems to me if a vehicle is in a ambush or is hit by a IED you need to get your people out of the vehicle as quickly as you can. The idea of waiting on another vehicle to assit does not seem the best option. That is providing another vehicle is there or able to assist..

William, I am very sorry for jumping on your post that way. I beg forgivness from you and the powers that be on the site. Sometimes when an idea hits me I'm moving, and acting before thinking about if I should or not.
I don't want to say much about the the way this version of the Hummer came about. All my information on the topic is second and third hand at best. This site has many members who have and continue to have first hand information on that topic. Keep in mind in March of 03 the first Hummers in Irag had no armor at all. An idea so incredibly stupid I can't even write about. With that as the starting point. I'll let others take it from there. Again I am very sorry for jumping on your post.
Harry

They can't do the hinges like that for 2 reasons. The first is that they have to survive a blast. Second, you pull the pins the door drops and takes off someones foot or worse traps someone underneath it.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 01:58 AM UTC
Jeff
What a great collection of images, just like a modelers Christmas!
The SF HMMWV is the one from Prime Portal (bless you guys at Prime Portal). This image has been helpful to fabricate the spare ammo rack. I still have no clear picture of how they are attached.
"Here are some interior shots and some shots of the FBCB2 setup, which is on the TC - truck commanders - seat in the front passenger area."
I really like the complicated interior of this vehicle. I also like that it is green inside. I had wondered if the early HMMWV's were repainted tan on the outside and left green inside. This is the first all green (and clean) interior I have seen with desert camo outside. (My Grandma had plastic seat covers on her couch too ;0).) Most vehicles I've seen have tan inside and out, including appolstery.
I have one SINCARS radio set from the Pro Art DUMVEE kit and another from Pro Art which is much more inclusive (carry bag, amplifiers etc.) and I have 2 more of MR I got from Accurate Armour. I read some where that some SF vehicles had two SINCARS installed at the same time. In your interior photos I don't recognize much of anything let alone one SINCARS set.
Excellent aerial view of inside the aquarium turret! claustrophobic is only a joke. Must be a dusty hot place to be but better that than the alternative when the bullets are flying.
The schematic drawing of the supported turret seem to be similar to the one MIG Models sells, great detail for the "Afghanistan HMMWV thread" build.
Early on in this thread "Frenchy" had read that the robust door knobs were for opening jammed doors by another vehicle pulling them off, this image seems to show this clearly.
I do like those bumpers. Some body in this thread sited that these bumpers were used to push vehicles, trying to block them,out of the way.
These 1114's have certainly been shaped to suit the urban battlefield environment.
Thank your Jeff for searching and sharing your data base, ever thought of doing an article about the evolution of the M1114 for modelers?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the complicated interior of this vehicle. I also like that it is green inside. I had wondered if the early HMMWV's were repainted tan on the outside and left green inside

Yes. It depends really and I honestly don't know the method to the madness. Really, most humvee interiors that I've seen are green but are just dirty and so they look tan.

Quoted Text

I read some where that some SF vehicles had two SINCARS installed at the same time.

The Pro Art SINCGARS are invaluable and amazing. And it is not just SF vehicles, many squad leader, platoon, and company leaders, etc. have more than one radio to facilitate easy communications with multiple units. Here is a picture of two complete radios. I think the first SINCGARS picture I showed in my last post also has two radios, but I couldn't tell you the difference between the full size and the half-size radios. Keep in mind that if there is more than one radio, there is more than one antenna on the back of the vehicle.

Quoted Text

In your interior photos I don't recognize much of anything let alone one SINCGARS set.

Most of it is communications and navigation equipment. The little handheld looking thing on the side of the TC area is the GPS plugger. Inbetween the driver and the TC is the SINCGARS suite. It sits on a "table" that is attached to the dashboard. From the few uparmoreds that I've ridden in, the front is the busiest and the back is just cramped. But I couldn't tell you what they are like overseas since I've never been there.

Quoted Text

The schematic drawing of the supported turret seem to be similar to the one MIG Models sells.

It is the same. The addon armor just bolts on top of the turret ring. I have a scale drawing of the add on armor that a member drew up, if you want, PM me your email and I can pass it on to you.

Quoted Text

I do like those bumpers. Some body in this thread sited that these bumpers were used to push vehicles, trying to block them,out of the way.
These 1114's have certainly been shaped to suit the urban battlefield environment.

Check this out and you'll see why they use those bumpers. From the videos that I've seen, this is common, both in US tactics and in Iraqi...stubborness

Quoted Text

ever thought of doing an article about the evolution of the M1114 for modelers?

I have but there are books already out there that'd do it better. For early humvees, pick up Squadrons Humvee in Action book. Concord makes two books on the humvee, one is for when they just started upgrading the humvee in the Bosnia and KFOR (Kosovo) late 90s and 2000ish. They also have a book on humvees in Iraq which shows early attempts at add on armor through the first M1114 vehicles. I highly reccommend all three if you want to gain a good start on humvees.

Jeff
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quite simply the design is running out. Nearly all of the addons being fitted are what is considered interim. The Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) project is increasing its pace to replace the humvee in the role that it is currently being used in. Don't expect that to happen anytime soon, so in the mean time, just as the Stryker is an interim vehicle to the Future Combat System (FCS) vehicles, the new MRAP vehicles getting so much press will be the interim vehicle between the humvee and when the JLTV is introduced. I've looked at the requirements for the JLTV and they are quite something. I'll see if I can find them.

Jeff

Yes and no. The Hummer was not designed to provide armored urban transport or close fighting. That would be the Bradley's job. I can't imagine having the same expectation for a Jeep, which the Hummer replaced.

The mods are interim solutions, but I worry about the politics of next years election. It is all too common for interim solutions to become the "fix" and lower defense spending. For the guys out doing the fighting and patrolling, I'd rather see full armored, mine-proof vehicles. But the additional expense is not likely to go un-noticed by the politicians looking to make a play off the war in Iraq. As always, this act of stupidity would be at the expense of the soldier.

I also hope military planners pay close attention to the lessons learned, MANY of which should have been learned during a war fought roughly 40 years ago. I don't want to make comparisons or start anything out of respect to the fighting men and women of both conflicts. I just want to point out that military planning too often goes for high tech gizmos and overlooks the obvious and simple solutions. How do you find those solutions? Just ask the men and women who try to find a way to stay alive and win the battle.
Removed by original poster on 07/23/07 - 07:24:31 (GMT).
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Jeff
Thanks for taking the time to answer my many questions. The video is amazing, the horn doesn't work but the ramming sure did.
I have all the books you suggested but I still think there is room for an exploration of the bleeding edge vehicle today, who knows where the evolution of the HMMWV will go. Interesting what Jeremy said in the other Afghanistan Humvee post. In Afghanistan they didn't add all the turret armor because of them being too top heavy.
The SINGCARS (I spelled it wrong last time) is very complicated when it is the size of a sugar cube. Your image is the best so far so I'll use that to wire it up. The two devises under the Gaitor Aid shelf, are they extra speakers? And to the right of the adjustable gunners stand, what is that circular rim on the floor?
All the Special Forces GMV's I've seen have sand interiors, including the seats, (see your HMMWV pictures you posted), but now that I look back on the non SF ones they are green(Nato green?)...note to myself. I can't imagine driving in a desert without windows and doors on. It must be just brutal, everything covered in fine dust. Even with some pictures with all doors on you can see the build up of dust near the nooks and crannies of the windows and doors.
Perhaps the RWS system for the Stryker could be modified to suit these crows fitted HMMWV's and keep the lads safe inside.

Thanks for your patience Jeff
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:19 PM UTC
Not to beat this thread to death but thanks to "Frenchy" here are two fantastic detailed shots of the armored doors with the door knobs for those that are thinking of scratch building this beast. Please excuse my editing, I'm not sure what censor restrictions exist here so I thought it would be prudent to remove these...HMMWV decorations.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
LOL, it looks like you need about five hands, a finger and eye biometrics reader and a secret decoder ring just to open the door! Thanks Frenchy.

BTW its your thread, beat away, this is interesting.
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC
Love this. I've always been fascinated by the ol' HMMWV and now. You could make a dozen and still not cover all the variants. I have to go out and buy some Tamiya HMMWV's. Get some MIG 1114 conversion kits and get crackin. I especially like the above pics with tan doors and a tri-colour vehicle. Certainly would look good next to all my other OIF and OEF projects. Of course a scratch-built Nyala would be neat too. Too....many...models....to....build.
cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:37 AM UTC
I had given Don at Prime Portal a ton of pics of both the Interim Frag kits and the full Frag 5 kit. Unfortunately, someone emailed him and complained that OPSEC was comprimised. In the ensuing email "battle" between myself and the guy who emailed him, we came to an agreement that they could go back up next spring sometime after the fielding of the kits is done.

Anyways, a few points-

the doors in the Frag 5 kit weigh almost 500lbs each (475 front, and 490 rear or close to it if I remember correctly)

every M1114 that actually sees duty (meaning- convoys, QRF, etc, not just PX transportation) has whats called a "vehicle intercommunication system". Its the same system that armor vehicles have that allows all the occupants to talk to each other. Thats what the little boxes are next to the SINCGARS. I'm sure some of you have seen pics of gunners with headsets on, thats the VIS headset. (I'm pretty sure a Googe search will pull up some info, but the TMs are restricted distribution, so I can't show you them)

the only difference between the "full size" and "half size" SINCGARS is analog vs. digital. You can't mount two "half size" in one slot though, even though it looks like it. There is only one data port in each slot.

there are even spin offs of the M1114 (rather, other vehicles based on the M1113 ECV (expanded capacity vehicle). The M1145 is basically an M1114 without an opening in the roof and is used by the Air Force for commo and EOD. The M1116 is the vehicle in the pic with the turret that has overhead protection (the square back). Its exactly the same as the M1114, except the rear cargo cover shape. Again, an Air Force vehicle, although there are several Army units that have "acquired" them, since the additional storage space is very nice once you pile 5 guys in.

I have seen several of the OGPK turrets, but the ones without the ballistic glass are much more common. The add on HUMVEE windshields are starting to dissappear, but I can't figure out why, since it leaves the gunner with absolutely nothing. It was probably some desk jockey who decided it looked "bad" and ordered them all off.
cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The two devises under the Gaitor Aid shelf, are they extra speakers? And to the right of the adjustable gunners stand, what is that circular rim on the floor?

Amplified speakers. The handsets can also attach there. You can have one per radio, but not one speaker for two radios (like the unamplified speakers).

The ring is for the TOW missile launcher. The tube gets stowed there during travel. I have yet to ever actually see a TOW launcher in use.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
James, thanks for the in-country input, I appreciate it. Stay safe. One question though:

Quoted Text

I have seen several of the OGPK turrets, but the ones without the ballistic glass are much more common. The add on HUMVEE windshields are starting to dissappear, but I can't figure out why, since it leaves the gunner with absolutely nothing. It was probably some desk jockey who decided it looked "bad" and ordered them all off.

When you talk about the addon windshields, are you talking about the ACAV-live armor plate for the gunner?

Quoted Text

You could make a dozen and still not cover all the variants. I have to go out and buy some Tamiya HMMWV's. Get some MIG 1114 conversion kits and get crackin. I especially like the above pics with tan doors and a tri-colour vehicle.

Check out MIG Productions website and you will see that Mig Jimenez is releasing a special edition of the M1114 conversion. It contains what is sold now, but also includes MIGs Aggressive Pattern wheels, and a photoetch fret to build the GPK turret (a first by anyone). Also included is a Russian Dishka .50cal to make it into an Iraqi Army uparmored. I don't think decals for an IA humvee are included, but Echelon makes a rather comprehensive set that includes decals for one.

I should have some more info soon.

Jeff
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC
James
Thanks for joining in and answering all of my questions about the SINCGARS and the TOW stowage station. So the two SINCGARS in the photograph are they digital? I have attached yet another photo from Frenchy's collection (and edited out the nasty bits). #1 may not be part of the vehicle,but if it is what is it for? #2 let me quote Frenchy "The "pennant holders" are radio frequency jammers used against IEDs. I've read that they basically work by intercepting the signal sent from a remote location to the IED instructing it to detonate; the signal cannot make contact, therefore when it can’t make contact it doesn’t detonate, much like a cellular phone call that does not connect." and #3 is to draw attention to the outrageous size that the front bumper has evolved to.
As a modeler I too like the varied colour schemes intentional or not. Are the various colors of the actual HMMWV's a result of up armoring, repair and replacement of damaged parts? In the early stages of the Iraq war it seemed that the vehicles were purpose painted sand. Is there any conscious reasoning for having the colour schemes we see now as in this attached photo?

Mathew and Jeff, good to my obsession I have purchased the new Migs 1114 this morning. Now I have a stack of HMMWV's to do which should last me until I'm very old.
Thanks all for breathing new life into this thread.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC
The color really has no method to the madness. Camo is not the biggest concern right now, since its hard to hide a humvee in an urban environment. Also painting a truck takes time that a lot of units don't have to spare. As a result when a vehicle takes damage or needs a replacement, they get what they get.

As for Number 1 I can't tell, but if it is, I wouldn't be suprised if its a radar detector like cops use. Or it could be another anti-IED device. I'll let you know that these things are kept pretty secret and while talking about it isn't an OPSEC issue, I generally make a point of not talking about it.

Here's a new image to ponder (image is high-resolution, so I'm not posting it here):
http://www.army.mil/-images/2007/07/27/6633/army.mil-2007-07-27-085651.jpg

Unit is 3rd Platoon, A Troop, 1st Squadron, 91st Cavalry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team. The turret isn't the O-GPK kit I was talking about, but really cool looking nonetheless.

Jeff
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
Jeff
What a great image. It really shows off the door and the turret glass orientation.
What exactly is OPSEC it is the second time I've heard that lately? James Cahill in this thread mentioned it with regards to pictures he posted with Prime Portal. I suspect something like Operational Secret , something like that?
Thanks Jeff
Bill
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
OPSEC = Operational Security or Operations Security
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the clarification Matt. The nomenclature really gets busy around here so I have to ask so I'll understand.
Bill
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
Here's another "Frenchy" contribution showing the IED panel deployed and the rear left vehicle with a jammer.
Thanks Frenchy

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
The IED device isn't deployed. As simple as it seems, there is a hinge to bring it down so the engine can be accessed since the hood opens forward.

Jeff
cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 08:32 AM UTC
(please forgive my lack of pics. I'm on a public machine)

Jeff-
The windows I'm talking about are the ones that are added to the "base" cupola armor. Basically ballistic HUMVEE windshields bolted to a sheet of steel, which is in turn bolted to the cupola. Definetely hillbilly armor. The Iraqi Army M1114 conversion sounds very interesting. Maybe I'll put it on my to-do list....

Quoted Text

So the two SINCGARS in the photograph are they digital?

There are actually pics of both of them in this thread. The ones that fill the mount from left to right are analog, the ones that only fill half of it are digital.

Quoted Text

#1 may not be part of the vehicle,but if it is what is it for?

Good question. I've seen it on several vehicles, but I always seem to walk by when no one is near the vehicle to ask

Quoted Text

#2 let me quote Frenchy "The "pennant holders" are radio frequency jammers used against IEDs. I've read that they basically work by intercepting the signal sent from a remote location to the IED instructing it to detonate; the signal cannot make contact, therefore when it can’t make contact it doesn’t detonate, much like a cellular phone call that does not connect."

It is an IED device, but thats not how it works. You're confusing it with a Warlock (or Duke). The one in your pic is a "Rhino". I won't discuss how it works, because that is not public knowledge (the Warlock is though). In the pic you posted, its stowed. When in use, its down, such as the other pic posted here. The massive support thing on the bumper is because it weighs quite a bit, and when driving, it bounces around. The Warlock is the tan antenna shaped thing very commonly seen on the rear of HUMVEEs (like in the above pic on the far left).

A quick note on IED devices- there are about 6-8 currently in use (as near as I can count) The two I just talked about, some other shorter "antenna" ones, and a few that look totally nondescript.

Quoted Text

As a modeler I too like the varied colour schemes intentional or not. Are the various colors of the actual HMMWV's a result of up armoring, repair and replacement of damaged parts? In the early stages of the Iraq war it seemed that the vehicles were purpose painted sand. Is there any conscious reasoning for having the colour schemes we see now as in this attached photo?

All the Frag kits are tan (both interim and actual). Its not the typical sand color used for CARC (MM 13533 if I remember correctly). Its a bit more light brown. It took me a while to match it, mixing up a small batch and running outside to test it . If a vehicle has a tan hood and woodland camo body, its because thats what they got when they ordered a new hood for it. There are stockpiles of parts, but you can't specifiy what color you want, you just order it and hope for the best. The most common M1114 you'll see color-wise is all CARC tan, followed by the same with an all green hood. Not the headlight support, just the hood.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#2 let me quote Frenchy "The "pennant holders" are radio frequency jammers used against IEDs. I've read that they basically work by intercepting the signal sent from a remote location to the IED instructing it to detonate; the signal cannot make contact, therefore when it can’t make contact it doesn’t detonate, much like a cellular phone call that does not connect."
It is an IED device, but thats not how it works. You're confusing it with a Warlock (or Duke). The one in your pic is a "Rhino".

I stand corrected James ! (Sorry Bill, quoting me was not so good an idea ... )

Frenchy
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:22 AM UTC
Frenchy, that's why this forum is such a good thing, everyone can see it and comment on it, we all learned something new today (especially me). I understand about the two types of SNCGARS now thanks for the clarification James.
So the long antenna on the HMMWV far left is a jammer for IED's correct? A while back some one posted a beautiful photo of three or four ISAF HMMWV M1114's coming around a mountain pass in Afghanistan, they were all up armored and each had that antenna. Some one said it was a jammer but I assumed it was for aircraft or communications but it is for IED.
I noticed the different shades of tan/sand on the very first image of this thread (M1114). I really liked the subtle difference there as well combined with the green makes for an interesting looking vehicle. I've seen so many different combinations it would be hard to keep track. So the image about with the Rhino IED contraption has an all green hood not the woodland pattern is that right?
About the image with the IED devise down. Can I assume that the smoke system launchers are hand positionable? I have never seen a good closeup picture of the wiring but I see there a wire enters the cab and is operated how? If you engage the right one do all the smoke grenades launch or one at a time? Is there a toggle switch on the dash that's in charge of the launch?
Thanks for taking the time to keep us on the right track.
Stay safe
Bill
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 12:55 PM UTC
Great night on Flickr, thanks to Jeff's lead with the "New SAW" thread. I was looking for close ups of smoke launchers and I find more antennas. Can any one id this spoked antenna.

Very nice image and three antenna

Thanks
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 02:01 PM UTC
The "pin cushion" antennae is a sniper-detection array. Those are microphones on that stick (looks the part, doesn't it?). As a bullet whizzes past the microphones, a computer computes the direction it came from and can triangulate where the sniper is. This isn't classifed info since Discovery Channel's FUTUREWEAPONS covered that system last season.

The X-antennae on the bottom photo is the SINCGARS satellite antennae.