_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1114
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:48 PM UTC
Which one is the FOF panel? I don't know much about the IFF panels. I know the "venitian blinds" as the jagged panel is sometimes called makes it look "cool" on an otherwise "hot" vehicle in thermal viewers, and the VS-17 panel is meant for high-viz observation and I think it has some IR or thermal effects too. I doubt your observation that it might just be not in the way. If that were the case, there'd be far fewer seen because if its not needed, the maintenance guys would have taken them off long ago. But that's just my take on it.

Quoted Text

Jeff does your other question about the radios betray what you're going to do with your M1114 update set from Mig??

Maaaybee . I just got my package from Mig Jimenez today and am writing up the review now, but I was curious what I'd need on the interior. I have enough exterior shots to get by, but I have come up lacking when it comes to Iraqi interior shots.

BTW short version of my review, I'm overall liking what I'm seeing. I have my issues, but its still very worth getting.

Jeff
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt thanks for clarifying those things. I see the small BTF antenna on the hood. The friend or foe air recognition panel, I'm surprised these are still used. Are you still using the SINCGARS radios or something new? I understand if you can't say.
Stay safe Matt
Bill

There's alot of junk on the Humvee and around the compound that has been here since the begining. Somewhere on this base is an old Iraqi Air Force boneyard, but I have yet to find it. Yes, we're still using SINCGARS in our M1114's.
airbornematt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, so I've got a question. Anyone know what kind of radios the Iraqi Army uses in their M1114s? I can't imagine they are using SINCGARS but then again, I couldn't entirely believe they were buying uparmored humvees, so....

If anyone has any interior shots of an IA humvee, I'd be interested in seeing those too.

Jeff

I'll work on trying to get some pics of the IA M1114's or ask our Commo shop about it. I don't really work with the IA all that much, mostly with the Stryker BDE that's out here and 1st CAV.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll work on trying to get some pics of the IA M1114's or ask our Commo shop about it. I don't really work with the IA all that much, mostly with the Stryker BDE that's out here and 1st CAV.

Cool, thanks and stay safe.

Jeff
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
Jeff
I anxiously await your review and more pictures of the insides of more HMMWV's!
Bill
KB3JQJ
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:31 PM UTC
Whoever the photographer was, they wouldn't happened to be British? I know this particular SF vehicle. 2 guys were taking pictures of it around that date & I stopped them. They were contractors, one was former SAS. The SF guys were a brand new group whom my platton worked with. These guys were really sharp. They didn't have real designation in 2004 but later became the Marine Special Operation Command (MARSOC). I love these SpecOps Humvees. They looked like something from Rat Patrol. There was one special Humvee I saw & I should have taken pics of it. It was called a MARS system. I think it stood for MOUT Assault Response System. It was built on an M1113 Humvee chassis & almost looked like a car carrier on it. You could drive up to a building & each of the "tracks" worked independently. So an assault force could hit the front door, 2nd story window, & roof at the same time on a standard Iraqi building. Many countries have these for their security forces but from what I was told, the US only had 10 of these in 2004. I miss my M1114's. I had 2. One an old woodland color with high milage. We thought it was on it's last leg so I got issued a brand new tan M1114 with the FCBC2. In my off time, I worked on the old vehicle & it ran great after tons of major maintainence.
 _GOTOTOP