Hummer M242 Bushmaster
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
good day guys!

a friend of mine is selling me a tamiya one for dirt cheap.. anyone here has experienced building it? havent seen this hummer model from other brands.. could it be used in an OIF dio? where did it see action?

thanks all!

Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
It's based upon a prototype that the US Army didn't pursue. As for the actual kit, it's closer to the Italeri versions in terms of buildability rather than the much newer Hummer kits that Tamiya has released.

- Frank
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:08 AM UTC
Although its a prototype never used platform, it still makes for a pretty good looking model. I have it in the process of building. Eduard makes a PE set for it that really dresses it up.

From what I understand, the chassis of the Humvee just couldn't handle the M242. I like the looks of it though, it makes a mean looking Humvee!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
If you check out my articles that I wrote for the site, the old Tamiya Hummer is the Italeri kit reboxed for release. There is a PE set for it by Eduard.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
You could always bash the humvee around a bit and build one with a solid cabin and use the Bushmaster with a 113 or something to create a 'what if' type of vehicle.
Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
If I recall, this is an OOP kit. At least it was when I picked mine up a couple of years ago. It is "cool" looking in any case. If you can get it cheap....go for it. You may never get an opportunity like this again
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:19 PM UTC
I plan on doing a kitbash of the Bushmaster Hummer. I'm going to combine one of the newer Tamiya kits (probably a 1025) with the the original kit. I hate the Hummer chassis/body of the original kit.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 06:18 PM UTC
Brent,
Be careful I think there are some size differences between the Bushmaster kit and the latter ones.
Tom
arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
just found out that this kit is indeed out of production.. i think i'll get the kits since another addition to the stash wont hurt.. i just have like 4 kinds of hmmvees in it.. i'll just figure out later on what dio it could be in use of.. just hope the kit parts would be of the usual tamiya quality.. hope they didnt pull it out coz of poor quality or mold / kit detail errors..

thanks all!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Arkuo,
If you'd read the replys more carefully you'd know that the bushmaster Humvee is actually reboxed Iteleri Humvee. So if you have any of the italeri Hummers, then you should be more less aware of what to expect from the kit.

HTH
Greg
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

just found out that this kit is indeed out of production.. i think i'll get the kits since another addition to the stash wont hurt.. i just have like 4 kinds of hmmvees in it.. i'll just figure out later on what dio it could be in use of.. just hope the kit parts would be of the usual tamiya quality.. hope they didnt pull it out coz of poor quality or mold / kit detail errors..

thanks all!

As Pedro says, if you open the box, the kit inside, to include Bushmaster and hardtop, are Italeri pieces. There are some size differences between the newer Tamiya HMMWV kits and the old Tamiya/Italeri HMMWVs. It will not be as simple as adding the Bushmaster hardtop to a Tamiya HMWWV kit.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks all!

As Pedro says, if you open the box, the kit inside, to include Bushmaster and hardtop, are Italeri pieces. There are some size differences between the newer Tamiya HMMWV kits and the old Tamiya/Italeri HMMWVs. It will not be as simple as adding the Bushmaster hardtop to a Tamiya HMWWV kit.

Being the hard headed person I am, I just had to try and see if the parts from the two kits could be combined.
I spent about an hour doing a little bit of assembly on parts from each kit. Needless to say, Sabot is absolutely correct.

These are the two most significant observations I quickly made:
1. The angles do not match where the new tamiya doors meet up with the sides of the hard top from the bushmaster kit.
2. The hard top from the bushmaster kit has two recesses molded into the front edge where the front edge overlaps the wiper assemblies. These do not line up with the wiper assemblies on the new tamiya windshield set ups.

The gaps between the new mold rear doors and the bushmaster hard top plus the misalignment of the hard top wiper recesses with the new humvee wiper mounts on the windshield was enough to convince me it wasn't worth the trouble.

I will just build the Bushmaster kit OOB.

I'll take Sabot at his word next time.
rcnpthfndr
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
The RED-T ( Remote Electric Drive- Turret) HMMWV platoons were tested at Fort Ord, CA in the late 80's.
davsam28
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 02:36 PM UTC
i have that kit too i relly want to replace the 242 with a better one kind of rough looking...i am sure hughes wouldnt have put such a rough gun on it !!!! with etch and metal barrels were just too spoiled
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll take Sabot at his word next time.

& I'll take Lt. Col Gronovious at his word EVERY time. The guy's a frickin' observational genius with more years in Motor-T & maintenance than many of us have been alive. Most anyone who's been on this site for any amount of time knows that Robin won't post if he's not 99.99% certain of his advice.
He'd be the first to admit he's not omniscient, but I've never seen him bad wrong in over 4 years here.
Hell, one of his very own HMMWVS is featured on the Italieri(?) box art for the 4 door soft top.
Many thanks for your years of dedication, sir.
Respectfully,
LD
 _GOTOTOP