_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Filler Putty
PISTOLPETE
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 01:11 PM UTC
What are the best types, ease of application and on line availibility? Thanks for the info in advance.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hi, welcome here. These are a few that I use

Squadron "Green Stuff"
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/squ/squ9055.htm
Also, 3M makes a big tube of this spot glazing putty for automotive body use. More in the tube and higher price but less cost per volume. Smells, looks, and feels like the same formula as the Squadron formula. Smooth like toothpaste and soft and easy to sand.

bondo - Glazing & Spot Putty 4.5 Oz
http://www.bondo.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=736
Smooth like griddy toothpaste and sandable.

Dr.Microtools Supreme Model Putty
like a think latex bucket paint. May need multiple thin layers to fill a gap, but super sweet like that.

Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the best types, ease of application and on line availibility? Thanks for the info in advance.

I find milliput invaluable (two-part epoxy putty) I use it for almost everything from small adjustments to models to sculpting figures from scratch. I swear by it.

A
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC
I personally like Tamiya's putty basic type gray in color and they also make a two part putty Polyester putty which is resin base that also works well. both are easy to sand and dry quickly the resin green can be messy. where as the gray stuff is squeeze and get to filling that gap.

AlexanderK
Timbo1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:37 PM UTC
It is a case of personal preferance, I have used Revell, Tamiya amd Squadron green, I like the green the best. thay all very basic to use with no mixing. Just don't leave the top off for too long:(

When I started modeling I use to mix glue and plastic sprue shavings.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
I get the "big" tube of Auto body putty...... it thins well w/ tamiya super thin cement..... and it hasn't dried out nearly as fast as the Squadron I've used inthe past............. (it's about 7-8 times the size of the Squadron tube for around 2-3 times the price)
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
I use several different putties depending on what I need to do.

I use Squadron Green Putty thinned with Testors Plastic Cement. This allows me to brush it into fine seems. I only use this on areas that I can sand easily without destroying a lot of detail.

To fill small sink holes or ejector pin marks, I like Mr Surfacer 500. Again this is brushed on and is sanded very easily.

When I need something to fill a larger gap or cannot be sanded easily without destroying detail I use Games Workshop Modelling Putty (AKA Green Stuff). This is great stuff that can be sanded, sculpted, and worked with ease. Remeber to keep your tools (or fingers) wet or it will start to stick. It stays mallable for a long time; but, only takes about two hours to cure.

Here is a great article about how to use GW Green Stuff. I realise it is based on 25mm figures; but, that is what I started with and I still use it on my plastic models.

I have a tube of Tamiya Basic Putty; but, have not had a chance to use it yet. I will post a few comments when I get a chance to try it out.

Good luck!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Over the years I have used:
Testors Grey
Squadron green
Squadron white
Tamiya green
Tamiya grey
Milliput yellow
White-out
Bondo spot putty
To me, without a doubt, the best stuff out there is the Bondo spot putty! It works in well, blends easily, adheres to plastic and metal, doesn't mar the surface, dries fast, sands easily, feathers perfectly, and takes any paint. Plus, at's 1/3 the price of the others and you can buy it at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. You are making your life more difficult if you don't try it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
I've kind of gotten away from using putty. Once in a while I'll pull out the old tube of Squadron white but i lean more and more to Mr Surfacer 500 and using bits of stretched sprue with testors liquid glue to get it to melt a bit and fill in the gaps.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
I use Spot & Glaze putty fron the local Auto supply store. Had excellent results and it can be thinned using liquid cement (I use Testors). I find it does `"bite" into the plastic if to much of the tube solvent is applied, so I just ensure I mix it if it is watery. Tried others but for the money & ease of obtaining I go with the Spot & Glaze putty.

Doug
PISTOLPETE
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:00 PM UTC
Thanks to all. This is why this is a great site. All the info a guy can handle. LOL I was wondering that by thinning the green putty with testors cement would it not melt the surrounding areas. Thanks for the wetting of the tools and hands tip I was getting a little frustrated. Again thanks to all
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
Peter - another option that hasn't been mentioned is Gunze Mr. Dissolved Putty. It's basically a pre-thinned putty that works really well. The biggest trick with it is to ensure that it's fully dried before moving on as it does shrink a bit as the carrier dries.

- Frank
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to all. This is why this is a great site. All the info a guy can handle. LOL I was wondering that by thinning the green putty with testors cement would it not melt the surrounding areas.

Actually, the Sqadron Green Putty will melt the plastic as well. If you are carefull and use a small brush it will not be an issue. I have used it to fill the seems of gun barrels and have not had any problems with plastic melting.

Quoted Text

Thanks for the wetting of the tools and hands tip I was getting a little frustrated.

Sure, no problem. It took me once or twice to figure that one out myself....
steelrudi
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:37 AM UTC
Squadron Green, Milliput, Citadel green stuff(Fig's only), and autobody filler. The last works great if you are careful, and use it sparingly.
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
hey,
in most cases,the squadron green putty,has worked out fine for me.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP