_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to Model Tracks on Uneven Ground?
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 288 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
I wish to place my Tamiya Mobelwagon on top of train track rails.
The kit is OOB and so has rubber/vinyl tracks.
How do I adjust the suspension to accommodate for this?

Cheers,
Harry
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC
The suspension must be cut and modified by raising each roadwheel to ride over the RR tracks. To do this, you need to cut off the roadwheel arm and spring that holds each roadwheel down and reposition it into the raised position. Once the suspension is articulated, the vehicle will have to be secured to the base with a screw or bolt to hold it down and pull the track into position over and under the roadwheels and onto the RR track and groundwork.

Hope that makes sense.

Good luck.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:28 AM UTC
The newer DML and Tristar Pz IV kits have the articulated Pz IV suspension parts. Tristar sells their suspension separately -- probably swap it out? Or get one of the new DML Pz IVs and you'll get a good track set too.
HES21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your help guys.

Gino, I'm going to have a poke about and see what happens - have you any idea how hard this process is?

Roy, I looked up the Tristar German Pz.IV Wheel Set, and it looks the business (very extensive), but costs almost as much as the original Tamiya model, which I really got for its simpleness!

Harry
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, I'm going to have a poke about and see what happens - have you any idea how hard this process is?

It isn't too difficult. The hard part is to get the springs to look correct with a proper bow to them. If that really doesn't matter to you, simply move them up and reposition the springs.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Harry-
Just wanted to comment:
I do respect Roy's comments, he's the MAN when it comes to AMPS modeling, but as you've noticed, the cost of his Ideas may prove prohibitive...
Whereas our Gino(Heavyarty) has been recognizied by Mr Tamiya Himself as a Master Modeler (Don't be Shy, Gino, You know I'M no suckup...), Invited to the Tam Factory in Japan etc., etc.,...
Add to that the fact that Gino Has BEEN THERE, DONE THAT over in the hot place (GWOT), & I think you can take the man's advice. Judges be damned. If it looks good to you, then by hell, it's Good.
Cut it Up, & HAVE FUN!
just my &.02,
LD
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 07:38 PM UTC
I would agree with what has been said, it should not be that difficult. However, it would be easier with a Panther or Tiger because the torsion suspension is hidden by the wheels.

To get the track to sit tight "upwards" to the lower edge of the road wheels you can carefully use a bit of string to tie the track around the middle of the road wheel. This will effectively be hidden afterwards on the finished model, but ensure the tracks follow the groud and the road wheels.

Hope this helps.
HES21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cut it Up, & HAVE FUN!

Thanks Robert - I'm going for it (taking Gino's advice with me!)

Jesper - Thanks for that tip - will try it out and it should help greatly!

Thanks again!
Hary
 _GOTOTOP