_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
paint colour question
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 01:28 PM UTC
hey all....
well...a week later and i'm still taking my time with my current model (and first serious attempt at modeling ever!) My initial question will probably stem into a few questions as i type but if anyone could give me any pointrers at all then great. my model....sd.kfz 250/1 'Neu' armoured personnel carrier in 1:35 by dragon....requires a steel colour be applied to the tracks. it's not that i'm trying to do what the plan tells me but i do want the tracks to look used and realistic. so after going to the local hobby shop (which brought home the fact that i should go to the city to a real hobby shop!!!) i walked away none the wiser. There weren't any steel colours. my question is do humbrol make a steel colour or am i simply looking for a metallic colour or something. can a colour for the tracks be mixed and if so could someone give a little pointer on what looks good. just any recommendations on track colour would be really helpful.

thanks all
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
My favorite color for treads is Testor's Steel - it gives a nice metallic sheen without being too "Silver." Just dry-brush it onto the treads and it looks great. Tamiya makes a decent metalic greay color - but its a lot darker and less metalic. Also, run a search on this forum and you should find plenty of posts on how to paint and weather treads. Good luck.
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
thanks for help KMM
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 - 04:35 PM UTC
Here is some more info on what your looking for.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/43&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/485&page=1

There may be more under the armor or general thread somewhere but I remember these 2 under the painting thread. I think they will help you out.
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
thanks for the help all....took the advise and finished them off.....weathering next
 _GOTOTOP