Hosted by Darren Baker
Soviet 'eavy metal pt2 Revell 1:72 T-80BV MBT
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Being new at the armour thing (particularly braille scale!), I find myself re-accessing all sorts of techniques and methods which in the most part are totally opposite to my normal aircraft builds.

This is the first small scale armour build I did this year and was an unwanted kit of my youngest son who has moved into Warhammer 40K (I must admit I still enjoy WH40K as well)

So here it is, warts and all. A Revell (Matchbox) 1:72 T-80BV MBT build finished as a T-80 of the old DDR sometime in the late 80's.

I used Ceramcoat, Vallejo and Citadel acrylics over a Tamiya flat black rattlecan base. Light weathering was done using a filter of Vallejo flat earth and a pin wash of Citadel "bestial brown". The lower chassis was weathered using flat earth washes. The unditching log is a real twig sourced from the bushland near home.

The tree was constructed under the watchful eye of my wonderful wife Lorraine, who is an accomplished, award winning miniatures painter. She in turn used the FSM guide to making trees sometime back in the distant past to perfect her skills.

The fun factor beats the proverbial out of the horrid Monogram B-1B Lancer I am attempting to assemble!

Pardon any fluff and dust on the build. Although my models reside behind glass in display cabinets, we live opposite a lake and the dust over summer is bad. We spend the winter removing dust but it is back the following summer. Display cabinets are only around 99% effective

cheers

Mike
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Nice job on a really basic kit. And nice groundwork too.

I am not a big braille scaler, but it certainly looks the part.

And going WAAAYYY off topic, what are the issues with the B1B?
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:10 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques

The B-1B is a good kit, but the long seams need a lot of work to strengthen even before seam removal can be done. I have popped the seams three times now and correcting a badly filled seam yesterday resulted in half one side popping. Very frustrating! The parts do fit, but only with work.

I have put it aside and am building a "quicky" build, plus am starting my "Sturer Emil"

cheers

Mike
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:51 PM UTC
Looking nice there Micheal.

I wish there was a moe accurate kit of this tank.

Regards Darren.
mgdsign
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 685 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 09:46 PM UTC
Now that's looking really good Mike!!!

I can see more depth in this one, really nice job.
You've created more variation in the green colour
this time and it really makes it come more alive!

Good Job Mike !!!

Best regards

Sven-Åke
Exequiel
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
nice. very, very nice. have always wanted to acquire this kit. did you encounter any major issues in building it? i don't mind if it isn't accurate and such. as i said, it really looks nice. congartulations for a very fine build.

nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:25 AM UTC
Looks really good. Makes me want to assemble my RoG T-72 in 1/72
Ch
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

nice. very, very nice. have always wanted to acquire this kit. did you encounter any major issues in building it? i don't mind if it isn't accurate and such. as i said, it really looks nice. congartulations for a very fine build.

The only issues I had were the placement of the ERA bricks. I found the less stressful method was to work out from the front of the turrent, using the cannon barrel as centre. Not perfect by any means but the best way for me.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC
It's a shame that RoG can't/couldn't produce a correct turret shape wise. Other than that, it's a nice model.
Ch
imagoodsniper
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC
yes it looks real good and the ground work is exceptional.
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 06:14 PM UTC
That looks great. I am also a WH40K'er who is building his first 1/72 armor (Dragon AAV w/EAAK). I also use Citadel (GW) paint and actually airbrushed it for the first time. It is rather thick; but, I found that using some PollyS Airbrush Thinner did the trick. I used Scorched Brown on the tracks for a discolored metal effect. I then used a Black/Chestnut Ink wash, followed by brushing Chaos Black onto the road pads. They have not been weathered yet; but, I plan on using some chalk pastels and MIG Pigments.

It may be the wargamer in me; but, I really like models that are some kind of base. Your groundwork is great and the tree is a nice touch.

Good Job!!
 _GOTOTOP