_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman M4A4 and Firefly
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 08:55 AM UTC
What was the differences between these two outside of the turrets and main guns. I need a M4A4 and have a Firefly can I use the chassis?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

The Firefly had a crew of 4 and the hull machine gun was blanked off to allow for the larger ammunition stowage necessary. Apart form that they were basically the same, so you can switch the turret to make an M4A4 or Mk V depending on what you want (American or British?)

I've used the Firefly hull to make 2 Mk Vs, no problem - with the British Mk Vs they usually didn't have the extra armour in front of the driver/co-drivers hatches but did have it on the sides.

If it's an American vehicle then I can't help as I'm not too sure if there was any difference in the spec..

Cheers

Al
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC
The main difference oh the hull is the regular M4A4 has a hull MG while the firefly doesn't ...this was done to creat more room for the larger ammo of the firefly . Other differences are do not use the gun crutch on the engine deck or the barrel cleaning rods ..
Most regular M4A4 in Europe should have the thickened armour plates on the hull sides ,but there were some that didn't have them . That pretty much does it for the main differences of the hull ,for the turret there was no hatch for the gunner on the regular M4A4 ,no radio extention on the back of the turret and the mantlet was different for the 75mm gun. That should get you started . If you want Formations does a great update kit to change the firefly back to a regular tank it includes a whole lot of details and a new turret to boot!

http://www.formationsmodels.com/780772.html
If it doesn't go to the right page ,it is on page 17 of the catelog ...Great stuff ,I can recommend it .

Rick
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
I am using the Legend ARV that is for a Sherman M4A4, so not turret and I'll look at the MG position.
TheUman
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 02:26 AM UTC
SO, Additional Question that is sort of the reverse of the main topic here: I picked up a Verlinden Firefly 17 Pndr Turret at a model show dirt cheap ($5). What kits could be used as the hull for it?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SO, Additional Question that is sort of the reverse of the main topic here: I picked up a Verlinden Firefly 17 Pndr Turret at a model show dirt cheap ($5). What kits could be used as the hull for it?

M4 welded hull, M4 hybrid (composite) hull, M4A4 for ones which saw active service.

David

_GOTOTOP