_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
ITALERI 40MM BOFORS 1/35 PRICE
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hello all,

Just came back from the IPMS show here in Orange County, CA. Just saw the bofor's we are all waiting for. Its a beautiful kit, looks a little bit fragile, but beautiful. The only thing that was not beautiful was the price they are placing on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a mere $45.00 dollars. Which is totally junk,,,as beautiful as it is, and it is small, it is not worth that price. Looks to be more of a $25-$30 dollar kit. Not worth it....I can get more for that price out a premium dragon kit, or any of the others for that price. But not this one,,,,,will wait for a sale on it instead. Hopefully they drop the price down some.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
It's pretty common knowledge that when a new kit comes out it's going to be going for top dollar. As for whether it's worth the price, I guess it all depend on how much you want a bofors. There is always the resin ones, but these will run you more than 45 bucks, and even the ancient H&R 1/32 scale metal kit is over 30 bucks.

As for myself, I'll probably pick one up, when they start going on sale, or when I need on.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:26 PM UTC
In the UK I've seen it for £17.95 which using a currency convertor comes out at $36.

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/12367/0/bofors40mmaagun

I bet you could get it cheaper than that.

Still a bit pricey but not outrageous.
Jon_Vancil
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 03:37 PM UTC
I think we are being too harsh on the Italeri kit. Italeri kits have loads of features that other companies dont offer. Like sinkholes. And injector pin marks. And vague instructions. I cant help it I am mired in an OLD Italieri kit.

No in all honesty I agree that the price seems a bit high and, like others have stated, I'll wait for the kit to get some age on it.
Manuelke
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,714 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC
Here in the netherlands it is around 26 euro's thats about 39 dollars also. I havent seen the kit in real life, but for the people that wants a bofor thay are willing to pay that price. I wait a couple of monts but i also want this kit.

Best Regards Manuelke
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
Cookie gives it the once over -

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/italeri6458reviewcs_1.html
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
$45.00 (R.R.P), is for a subject which was only previously available in resin is pretty damned reasonable. It's nothing to do with the size of the kit, it's what the subject represents.

Just HOW long have we waited for this subject to become available as an injection-moulded kit anyway?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
For people who usually buy from online stores and pay shipping anyway, and if you live outside the EU you don't pay VAT, try "jadarhobby" for Italeri kits, you'll find a good price difference. Their service is a bit slow, but good prices.

http://www.jadarhobby.waw.pl/italeri-c-9_10_130.html
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC
Thats true Jim, but, just because its something that we have not had before should not mean that its ok to accept getting knocked on the head.
Which is worth mentioning, they take advantage of that type of thought and as long as its accepted, they will continue to do it. Granted the resin is more, but, I think I will wait for the sale or discount or the cheaper version or .... whatever..
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 07:58 AM UTC
IPMS Show in the USA? The MSRP represents more than just the manufacturer's price, it is also shipping and the horrible exchange rate right now. And the inmporter's "mark up". I know it says MSRP, but my guess is that it is more Importer's SRP...

Then again, ow long did it take those LCM and LCVP kits from Italeri to go on half price sale online?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IPMS Show in the USA? The MSRP represents more than just the manufacturer's price, it is also shipping and the horrible exchange rate right now. And the inmporter's "mark up". I know it says MSRP, but my guess is that it is more Importer's SRP...

Then again, ow long did it take those LCM and LCVP kits from Italeri to go on half price sale online?

Exactly.... I'm still kicking my a^s for paying full price for closet storage.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
Ill probably provoke some miffed responses ,but the way I see it is that if I want it ,I buy it,If I dont like the price ,I dont buy it.Styrene is almost as addictive as crack or a blackberry ....but I tell ya -theres worse things to spend your money on ...like booze or cigarettes..have fun with it ..its a hobby
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
If you want a Bofors (but don't mind delaying) wait for the AFV Club one....
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,

Just came back from the IPMS show here in Orange County, CA. Just saw the bofor's we are all waiting for. Its a beautiful kit, looks a little bit fragile, but beautiful. The only thing that was not beautiful was the price they are placing on it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a mere $45.00 dollars. Which is totally junk,,,as beautiful as it is, and it is small, it is not worth that price. Looks to be more of a $25-$30 dollar kit. Not worth it....I can get more for that price out a premium dragon kit, or any of the others for that price. But not this one,,,,,will wait for a sale on it instead. Hopefully they drop the price down some.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,

I am wondering what you found so beutiful about it? Was it the figures that look like the early Max Peerless vehicle crews in detail , perhaps it was the fact that there are only two figures included and two duplicates of these? I could be wrong but maybe it was the almost complete lack of detail on the carraige/trail or the over simplified detail on the traverse and elevation motors?

Forgive the sarcasem but this kit is adequate at best having built and reviewed one. It is so lacking in detail as to make you wonder when this was tooled. It is like an early 70's kit in detail. Whilst it is true ypou could do a really nice Bofors (US model) from it it is also true to say , as you rightly have, that this is so over priced for what it contains. Italeri or their distributors are so off the mark here it is not funny. When you consider that here it goes for almost the same price as a DML 88 with Crew it really demonstrates how far removed from reality the price point is.

Should anyone wish to make their own mind up I refer you to this (mine) review with pics of the built up model:
http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/italeri6458reviewab_1.html

I am a huge fan of Italeri and really applaud the fact that they offer diverse releases but this kit was a huge dissapointment after the recent stunning examples offered.
AL
 _GOTOTOP