_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
Indy Track Links Tutorial
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 05:19 PM UTC
Karl Logan (thedoog) provides a step-by-step tutorial for his method of assembling, painting, and installing indy track links using the DML Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33 auf Pzkpfw III kit as an example.

Indy Track Links Tutorial Feature

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 05:44 PM UTC
This is a great read. Always like seeing how other modelers tackle challenges like this.

Plus the weathering on that panzer is gorgeous. I really like the very subtle rain streaks. I'm always afraid I'm going to over do that step so rarely try it.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC
Nice tutorial, I'm sure it will come in handy and help quite a few people.
Thanks Karl.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:57 PM UTC
Great tutorial! Thanks for putting it together and to Bill for posting it.
tartan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:54 PM UTC
this will prove to be quite helpful
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
Excellent article- Thanks Karl.
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:23 AM UTC
Yes it's easy to do indy links, just takes patience.

Now, where are those indy (new) M1A2 links from DML?
ScottS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:27 AM UTC
I have a question, what glue would you use for resin tracks that will allow working time before it sets?
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hmmm,

nice article but i have a remark/question for any moderator

it is a while that i did it, but i like the article and want to print it so i can ceep it in my file cabinet.

But .. when i press print i only get the text but no pictures??
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question, what glue would you use for resin tracks that will allow working time before it sets?

First, thanks to al who have enjoyed the article and commented favorably; I'm relatively new to the site, and its nice to make a positive "first impression"!
Scott, that's a real tricky question there--and unfortunately, I can't say that I have a proper answer! ... I really don't do resin tracks; I find the plastic kit tracks adequate, so I don't really have the experience in working with the resin offerings. What I might attempt would be to salvage a spare hull from another kit, and build it up and use it as a template to assemble the tracks in situ, and then just use slower setting CA glue...? Don't some of those resin sets snap together pretty tightly? Maybe you could get away with just fixing them in place and then hitting each joint with a fine applicator tip of CA glue?
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm,

nice article but i have a remark/question for any moderator

it is a while that i did it, but i like the article and want to print it so i can ceep it in my file cabinet.

But .. when i press print i only get the text but no pictures??

The setup on the site has the photos in a separate application for the slide-show viewing, if you are printing the page it's just grabbing the text. You can always do a Print Screen to grab the photos along with that and then print it, not sure if there's another way around that to be able to print them all together, haven't tried it to be honest.
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a great read. Always like seeing how other modelers tackle challenges like this.

Plus the weathering on that panzer is gorgeous. I really like the very subtle rain streaks. I'm always afraid I'm going to over do that step so rarely try it.

Thanks Matt! It's not quite done here in the photos, but I'll post a photo in the forums when I get it all together--you can see that I still haven't added the big box on the back or a spare track rack on the front...just forgot that ???
Rain streaks aren't hard with oil paints; just dip the brush in a thinly diluted puddle of raw umber, and then touch it to a paper towel to lose most of the thinner, and then drag what's left on the brush down the side of the model. No need to fear overdoing it; just re-wet the brush and pull a little more down--you can even swab it all off if you don't like the way it looks. That's the nice thing about oils; they take so long to dry that you can manipulate them many different ways til you get what you like!
Try it! Good luck!
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the article. I'm trying to get back into military modeling after a 12 layoff from the hobby . This is a great help.
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 08:21 AM UTC
Thanks again, Robert!
I just finished the Sig, and thought I'd post a photo or two of it, so here it is!

Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
Great instruction, I have always had a rough go in working individual track.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Excellent article and model, Karl. Look forward to seeing more from you.
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent article and model, Karl. Look forward to seeing more from you.

Thank you Jim and Andrew! Glad you enjoyed the article, and always glad to be of help!
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
Thank you for the article it was a refresher on how to build tracks forme...I just so happen to do my tracks while reading your article and it was a snap!
Thanks again.
By the way your build looks great!
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:43 AM UTC
Would the Testors cement that comes in a blue tube work for this.

Thanks.
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Sam
If you're using tube glue, I wouldn't recommend it. Tube glue is notoriously unreliable in the way that the amount you use can drastically affect the strength of the bond between parts. Plus, models built with tube cement have a tendency to break bonds a lot easier after a few years, sometimes without handling. I know guys who have seen their sprockets come right off from the pull of the rubber band tracks.
Of course you don't really have that concern here, but with several hundred individual little bonds between links, you would only be asking for heartbreak, IMO.
But the real problem you would have would be the time it takes to apply the glue and set the bonds--you need to use liquid glue, because you need to have the link bonds set up within relatively short times of each other in order to have the ENTIRE track bonded enough to be both pliable enough to wrap around the sprockets, and yet not SO set as to not allow you to set sag. Tube glue just does not bond as quickly and with the same strength as liquid glue to allow you to handle the tracks and form them around the sprockets You might also have problems with the tube glue oozing out from between links and then bonding the tracks to the wheels prematurely--you wouldn't be able to remove them then from the tank as I have.
All in all I wouldn't recommend even trying this with tube glue. Use liquid glue and ONLY use Testor's. Fast-setting glues like Tenax R7 and ProWeld actually set up TOO fast, and make the tracks hard to work with.
Good luck!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
Ingenious! Great tutorial.
 _GOTOTOP