Hosted by Darren Baker
Hemp grass technique
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 02:29 AM UTC
I am going to be doing clumps of longer grass on a diorama and I plan on using hemp twine, but I am not sure how to go about forming the clumps. I was hoping to form the clumps off the actual diorama so I can paint them since they are kind of an after thought. Anyone ever done it this way and if so, would you mind sharing your technique?

I was thinking of poking holes in some foam or clay and pouring ca in the holes and pushing the clumps into that so I can transplant them like hairplugs. Does this seem logical?

Appreciate any help
Cheers
Branden
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
The rogain method sounds logical, how are you going to remove them from the styrofoam and move them over? Are you just going to cut away the foam till you get to the root?

You can also look at just bundling a clump in your fingers and dipping the end in an open container of CA, or just squeezing a drop of CA on the roots. Giving it a few seconds to dry then setting it asside to cure.

Or - (here's my shazam moment)
Use a comb, just comb out a bunch of twine to the roots are just sticking through, then you can dip a whole combs worth into glue or rest it in a 'tub' of PVA/Water mix.
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 03:45 AM UTC
I like the comb idea. I was thinking that if I cut the "plugs" of grass out, I could melt the foam off with turpentine. Or some other caustic material that my wife would be thrilled with.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 04:57 AM UTC
Pleeeease!!! Be careful with the HEMP! Make sure you use it correctly and keep it away from open flame. If you do catch it on fire...Avoid inhaling the fumes....Be sure to follow former President Clinton's example!
chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pleeeease!!! Be careful with the HEMP! Make sure you use it correctly and keep it away from open flame. If you do catch it on fire...Avoid inhaling the fumes....Be sure to follow former President Clinton's example!

Hemp doesn't contain THC - the acive ingredient in Marijuana. It used for the fiberous content of the stalk. But yeah - I would avoid inhaling it.

Chris
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:06 AM UTC
Get yourself a piece of glass - put down a blob of Ehlmers (You can even mix some paint in it if you wish) - Cut "grass" to length - stick it in the ehlmers. When it is dry, take a razor blade and scrape it off the glass. Ehlmers doesn't stick to the glass.

I haven't tried this but it may work with blobs of a Celluclay/Ehlmers mix. Go light on the Celluclay and the grass should stand up nicely.
slodder
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:24 PM UTC
Bill has a great tip with the glass. I had not thought of the 'melting' of the foam.

My son and I built a school history project on a foam base and did not get it sealed well enough and poured two part resin on it - man was that fun to watch. A history project turned into a science project really quick!

These are all great tips and would be great to put together in a quick one page SBS feature - do I have any authors ready to step up?
blouie
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill has a great tip with the glass. I had not thought of the 'melting' of the foam.

My son and I built a school history project on a foam base and did not get it sealed well enough and poured two part resin on it - man was that fun to watch. A history project turned into a science project really quick!

These are all great tips and would be great to put together in a quick one page SBS feature - do I have any authors ready to step up?

I made the plugs last night using white glue in foam and it worked great. You can pull the clumps right out, no need to melt the foam.

Scott, I took some step by step pictures so I can write something up, just let me paint them and get a few in the dio. It's a crappy day up here so I will probably have it done today.

Cheers
Branden
 _GOTOTOP