_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Making resin parts
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 08:44 AM UTC
In the course of building my Leopard 2A6m (CAN) i'm seriously considering making the slat armour brackets from resin.

Now i have never done any resin casting , but i figure if a make a decent master of the different brackets, i could probably make the molds and pour the resin.

I have been surfing the net in search of supplies, which differ greatly from supplier to supplier. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some insight on what to use and where to purchase. I'm in the Ottawa valley and would like to buy semi-locally. If required i will order supplies online, no problem.

Thanks in advance

cheers
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:01 AM UTC
Do you have Hobby Lobbys there? Alumilite has a kit with resin and RTV rubber mold making material, sold by them. You can also call Alumilite directly. I've dealt with them often and the service is great.
Alternately, depending on the shape of your part, you can use modeling clay and make a quickie mold. It's a lot quicker and easier.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
what does the slat armour bracket look like?

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 01:48 PM UTC
IMHO... Smooth On Resin & RTV is the way to go.. I find it Superior to Alumilite.

http://www.smooth-on.com
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
Rick
I have sourced Alumilite from Hobby House in Ottawa, they handle the line.
[email protected]
I have used Alumilite but I'm going to try Smooth On like Matt because of it's slower set up time. There are many articles on the Model Geeks section of Armorama as well.
Good luck
Bill
PS I agree with 18Bravo but when you buy your modeling clay from say a Michaels be sure that it contains no sulfur as it reacts adversely with the Alumilite.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Just some more Info... the "standard Alumilite" has a 3 min Pot life..... Not alot of time to pour (complicated molds) it also seems thicker than the Smooth on.

Smooth on has Quite a few formulas I Like the Smooth Cast 321 it has a 7-9 min Pot life and a 30 min Demold time. and is fairly thin, letting it flow nice.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
I bought the "Complete Starter Set" #82698 from Micro-Mark www.micromark.com and I was very pleased with what you get. It includes everything you need to delve into your first resin casting.
 _GOTOTOP