_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trailers for HEMTT ?
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 257 posts
Armorama: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:45 PM UTC

I'm building a couple of HEMTT Oshkosk trucks (M977, M983, M984), and would like to build a trailer to match, but as there are none (to my knowledge) in 1/72 scale, I guess I'll have to scratch.

Can somebody help me with some measurements/schematics ??

Thanks in advance,
Steen
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC
Brochure: http://www.seistl.com/pdf/hemat.pdf
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC

Thank you!

What trailers/semitrailers is used with the M983 tractor ?

Thanks in advance,
Steen
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 01:56 AM UTC
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_hemtt_m983.php
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:11 AM UTC

No semitrailers for transporting M1s, Bradleys or AAVP7s ??

regards,
Steen
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC
Typically the M1070 HET would be the one doing that. But after digging the 5th wheel heights are only different by 2 inches.... so (if the kingpin is the same size) the M983 could possibly pull the M1000 trailer

http://www.seistl.com/force_proj/m1000.htm

(the above situation in all practicality wouldn't happen)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No semitrailers for transporting M1s, Bradleys or AAVP7s ??

Nope. The heavy hauler for the US military is the M1070 HET with M1000 heavy trailer. It is also built by Oshkosh and uses many similar componenst to the HEMMT.

Accurate Armour makes an all-resin model of it, but it goes for about $500.00.

The HEMMT tractor is only used to pull the Patriot launch trailer and the Patriot radar trailer.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:15 AM UTC
You could............... Convert the M977 into a MK48 with the MK16 5th wheel section Hauling a M870a1 trailer as seen below:

So Based on this image the M983 could haul the M870A1 trailer................if need be
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:27 PM UTC

Thank you Matt!

It looks like it will take a lot more work ... not sure I want to risk ruining a 60 euro resin kit trying to make it into a MK48 and MK16.. but thanks anyway..!

regards,
Steen
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like it will take a lot more work ... not sure I want to risk ruining a 60 euro resin kit trying to make it into a MK48 and MK16.. but thanks anyway..!

Very interesting. I have a 1/72 Planet Models resin kit that I planned to convert to a Mk48. I've seen similar conversions in 1/35 scale and there are plenty of good reference photos available. I'm hoping that Bronco Models eventually follows through and issues the M1070 kit they had mentioned several years ago. Not holding my breath though!

I've never really considered this, but generally accepted the tractor and trailer/system transport pairings. I would assume that the M983 is matched up with a Patriot trailer, while the M1070 with the M1000 trailer. Would it be a fair statement that the tractor and trailer would even only rarely be separated? Perhaps only for maintenance or similar circumstances? Each of these trucks would be extreme overkill to use for line-haul or general transport. Also, they are probably not abundant in numbers which keeps the demand on them very high.

As an aside, I once ran accross photos of an accident involving several M1070/M1000 loaded with M1's.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:51 PM UTC
Yeah, I'd fathom it not notmal to use the M1070 to Pull the M1000 anf the M983 to pull the partiot trailer. Now one possibility might be if they were hauling stuff around a Yard IE re arranging equipment..... but I'd think the M1070/M1000 would be paired up, and that the M983's would all be with the remainder of the Patriot Battery.
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC

Would you happen to have some links to these conversions in 1/35th scale? I've been searching for the Mk48, and haven't found anything that could help me with a conversion! None of the images/photos I've found gives me any ideas as to what should be changed!

regards,
Steen
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
Don't know of any Conversions in 1/35 btu maybe some help:
http://news.webshots.com/album/340356927GWGfnX
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk48.php

Here's a Link to one Charles (member name TI) did:
http://one-step-further.com/Modelgalleries/MK48LVSTractor/index.html
SHERMAN2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hello all,

Since the Webshots pictures are mine i'll add my 2 cents. If you want to convert an Italeri HEMTT to a Mk48 and don't care about accuracy then you could carve up a Italeri kit and make it look like a Mk48. Go too it and have fun. Read no further. Besides, most people wouldn't know the difference or care.

The Mk48 has been an obsession of mine since I first I first saw the 2 brand new overall OD green Mk48s at this areas main army reserve maintainance shop. This was in the late 80s. The one I finally got around to take pictures of is one of the 2. The other was traded off to another Marine 8th tank unit down south.

I also had the idea then to convert the HEMTT into a MK48. They may look similar but they are 2 totally different trucks. If you consider Italeri tires throw aways as I do then your left with the cab, axles and shock absorbers that would be usable with modification for a Mk48. The Italeri kit is completely void of any detail parts like steering and brake parts that would be the same on the MK48.
The chassis or frame is totally different. The engine and transmission are level with the frame and further forward into the cab of the Mk48. Italeri kit lacks anything that looks like a Dietroit Diesel 8V92TA. Italeri kit has a trnsmission but it looks nothing like an AllisonHT740DThe transfer case looks similar to the HEMTT but is bigger and different in details.
Suspension is an Oshkosh 6 torque rod with 3 leaf saddle mounted springs. HEMTT has a walking beam type suspension.
Mk48 has 2 different axles. Front is a Oshkosh 23K steering and the rear is an Eaton RS 381 (non steering). Mk14 trailer has 2 Eaton DS 580. But they look alike enough to use the HEMMTTs.
Mk 48 front axle is turned around from the HEMTT and has a small transfer case attached to the front of the axle. Driven from the rear by a shaft from the rear transfer case along the left side of engine through a type of pillow block mounted to the frame next to the engine and then to the top of the transfer case on front axle. Rear axle is driven from a shaft from front axle.

To cut it short , allot of scratch building. Or just fake it.

Joe

MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 01:12 PM UTC
By conversions, I apologize, but I wasn't referring to the purchased kind, but the scratchbuilt do-it-yourself variety. As you can see from the links it can be converted.

Joe's webshots folder is about the only source of Mk48 details. Even the equipment specs are fairly hard to dig-up, almost like it never quite existed. Without a reliable source like Joe, this is a tough one to model thoroughly.

My intention is to do a 1/72 diorama of USMC M1A1 during a refueling in Iraq. Thanks to the great help of modelers on Armorama, I've got enough info to build the model. The only remaining problem is not enough time. In Braille Scale, I'm willing to overlook some of the less noticable details, especially for a diorama vehicle.

As a whole, though, I generally build models to look convincing, although maybe not 100% accurate. Yes, I standup and admit that. Don't get me wrong I build for fun and try to get better each attempt. And I do occasionally add details that I know no one will ever notice.

But the sad fact remains that only about 2% of the people who would look at my models would never even notice if the front drive axles weren't correct. If it fools the minds eye and makes the viewer believe it were real (and accurate), then I'm fine with that.

I do have occasion to build a contest model and spend hours on research and kit corrections. My passion happens to be UH-1 and AH-1 helicopters, which I have spent way to much time one some of them. But as a whole I try to balance research and realism with actually building and finishing a kit. I tend to have so many ideas that I'd like to build that there are simply not enough days on this earth to worry about every single detail on every single model. I enjoy viewing the work of those who do and respect their efforts.

When I build my models, I try to reflect on the one thing that is always missing... The spirit and courage of the men and women who use these machines to defend their country. My modelling tendencies are most often inspired by their stories. Thus I'm building quite a few OIF models. As I grow older and my sons and daughters approach that age, I hope to honor those who have gone before and hope those who follow will never have to give that sacrifice.

Sorry to get off topic.
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:39 PM UTC

Not a problem at all with the "off topic" talk. This started out as a talk about trailers for the HEMTT, but clearly I'll have to "rebuild" my 1/72nd scale M983 into a Mk48 with Mk16 and then put a M870A1 trailer behind it! I have the Planet Model kit (the only 1/72nd scale M983 kit I think) and like Kent I'm not going for 100% accuracy. But it certainly has to look real!

Before actually pulling the M983 kit apart, I think I'll start out scratch-building the trailer. I have found several photos of the trailer, but need some sort of measurement to start out with. How long is this thing? Does anybody have a blue-print of the thing, or some measurements?

Thanks in advance,
Steen

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
Like Mentioned... Joe's Pics are about the only ones on the Web. there's some General dimensions here: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/mk48.htm you might be able to Scale the stuff you need from the photos
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC

It was actually the dimensions of the trailer I was asking for, not the Mk48. I've more or less given up on finding accurate dimensions for the Mk48.

Thanks,
Steen
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC
They're kind covered there............
more here:

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk48.php
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk14.php
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk15.php
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk16.php
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk17.php
http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lvs_mk18.php

you'll have to scale the other dimension you need based on what info you have by setting up a proportion.
json
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC

Well, I've found some drawing with the overall dimensions of the trailer, but none with much details.
I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Steen
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 03:03 PM UTC
The MK48 is no longer is service it was replaced by a varient of tha armys M1074 PLS
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm building a couple of HEMTT Oshkosk trucks (M977, M983, M984), and would like to build a trailer to match, but as there are none (to my knowledge) in 1/72 scale, I guess I'll have to scratch.

Can somebody help me with some measurements/schematics ??

Thanks in advance,
Steen

The M984 is the recovery vehicle
Removed by original poster on 11/01/17 - 12:36:04 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/01/17 - 11:42:10 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP