Hosted by Darren Baker
Land Rover Defender 110 in Afghanistan
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 09:12 PM UTC
Just to make a change from British and Australian LRs...This one belongs to the Czech 601st Special Forces Group :

More pics HERE

Frenchy
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi Frenchy
Nice find, could be an interesting conversion for Accurate Armours SAS 110. Nick
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Very nice, and that is indeed a very interesting version to use the AA WMIK model for... The only tricky bit might be the dashboard console, as the right hand drive needs to be converted to left hand drive.
forgive my ignorance, but what is that weapon load? And are these available in 1/35 scale..

Henk
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC
The larger machine gun on top is the Russian DSHK, the smaller one on the passenger side... I used to see it a lot on PLO Land Rovers in Beirut and they used to call it "Grenov", but I don't know the correct name for it, also Russian.

The DSHK is available in 1/35, but I don't think the other one is.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the smaller one on the passenger side... I used to see it a lot on PLO Land Rovers in Beirut and they used to call it "Grenov", but I don't know the correct name for it, also Russian.

According to one of the other pics caption, it's a PKB 7.62mm machine gun. There's also an optional AGS-17 automatic grenade launcher...

HTH
Frenchy
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hey, I just realised you can click on the weapons in the pics to get info about them.! That's cool.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, I just realised you can click on the weapons in the pics to get info about them.! That's cool.

Thanks for pointing that out Hisham.
Clever idea.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Great find Frenchy!
I have an AA WMIK waiting for an interesting idea like this. I really like the click to see data within the image. Whats next???
Bill
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
Doesn't look very safe to tool around a combat zone in
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:50 AM UTC
KevinB
I thought the same thing. I've been watching the right boom mentality of the HMMWV development and to see this un armoured naked vehicle wandering around full of open access to flesh makes me wonder where they're preparing to fight. I asked the same of Erik Torp running around Afghanistan in a Gwagen without additional armour, he said that they hope for the best! The covert type of fighting far away from the front lines make more sense and I know even some US troops use the 110 to access narrow roads and remote places where HMMWV's can't go. Apparently the unfriendlies can hear a HMMWV long before they see it so I guess 110's sound different too.
But I have a soft spot for the Defenders, I wish I could own a 1:1.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
Alot of the SF guys in Afghanistan, in addition to the HMMWV's were rolling out on patrols in ATV's
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC
Much of this is down to the same problem that has plagued Armour development right from the start. The compromise between Protection, and Mobility. It is possible to built a Armoured vehicle, that is impregnable to all known weaponry, but it would be unable to move. The more heavily armoured your vehicle, the less manouvrable it becomes.
The Land Rovers trade Armour Protection for Mobility, relying on speed and fire power to see them through. The Land Rovers are mainly used for fast reconn, rather than slow convoy duty or street patrols.
A Land Rover makes a very hard to hit target when it's on the move. As for protection against IED's and such, they can be made so big/effective, that even Main Battle Tanks are vulnrable.

Henk
 _GOTOTOP