_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which is better Crusader kit?
pierrepear
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:25 PM UTC
Which is better Crusader kit, the bigger 1/32 Airfix Crusader OR the 1/35 Revel OR the 1/35 Italeri ? Thanks
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:37 PM UTC
My personal favourite was the Airfix but the old Italeri Crus III was a reasonably good kit for its day and passes the test of time well. It is not without it's problems however with incorrect guards/fenders and a few other minor detail points. The tracks are pretty soft on detail too. The Revell kit is a very expensive rebox of the Italeri one as is the Tomy example if you can find it and I also believe that Testors and Tamiya did reboxes at some stage. Italeri went on to do the Mk 1 and Mk 2 which again are not without fault but competant kits from which a stunner can be made with a little modelling skill. I'd recommend the recent string of articles in Military Modelling.
Cheers
Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
In order my vote would be:

Italeri /Testors/Revell Crusader III - needs work on the front end of the sandshields, swapping the stowage bins and intake covers to the opposite sides from the instructions for a start, followed by other detail tarting up

Italeri Mark I - Much the same as above, and new air fiters if you want to go Cauter

Airfix Mark III - hull's okay, turret has issues, but it does include the pistons for raising the commander's hatches that Italeri leave out. Plus the Multipose 8th Army are way better than the Tamiya Desert Rats.

Italeri Mark I/II (allegedly) really a later Mark I with all the mistakes of the III and the worst attempt at a cast mantlet ever.

David
pierrepear
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
I know, I have not said thank-you for the help yet. Here is a thank-you with a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylc3VBOsVRM
Sorry I am not a disciplined 'static ' purist ( do not even own an air-brush) up to high standard. However, with the bagpipe music recorded live during Canada Day parade & some phony action, it might be fun to watch ?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:36 PM UTC
I love it! I see you opted for the Airfix kit. It's always been one of my favorites. Hard to believe it is over 30 years old too!
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
Do I gather that we are still waiting for a good Crusader kit?
pierrepear
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:51 PM UTC
Oh yeah, time flies by when you have fun, they said
I am also impressed by Airfix's overall quality that managed to be tested by time.
Of course a brand new Crusader with 21st century 's tooling technology will be nice
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do I gather that we are still waiting for a good Crusader kit?

They are all good kits, just not great. At least none of them are terrible.

My 4 yr old sat on my lap as we watched the video. He really likes it.
 _GOTOTOP