_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centaur Dozer
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Some pics of the Centaur Dozer I've been working on. This is the Accurate Armour conversion of the Cromwell Gun tank. Sorry the pics aren't great, rushed them a bit due to lack of light. The lighter ones are where the flash started to go off lol, lol. Weather!!!

Comments would be welcome.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:00 PM UTC
Well I thought I'd recycle this one on the off chance someone mght like to comment

Perhaps it's that new invisible paint I'm using!

I've made a couple of small changes since the pics. The rear ariel has been cut down to 2' (thanks Rick) and I've added some handles to the churn. If it ever stops blowing and raining I'll post an update.

The motley crew are 2 figures from Resicast and an OOP one from Accurate Armour.

Cheers

Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Al

I should have commented here, instead of in my PM

How was it using the AA conversion? I'm going to have to invest in some of their stuff when I get around to making a proper 75mm Cromwell from the Tamiya kit (and a 95mm Cs version eventually) so it would be nce to know any pitfalls in advance.

Love the way the AoS flash changes colour according to the lighting. And you can chop a bit more off the B set aerial - it should be 20" long

All the best

David
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi David,

The AA stuff is good to work with, there's normal clean up and their PE is well marked for shaping. There can be the odd missing bit in the instructions but someone usually comes up with the answer or you can email Derek for clarification. He's always very helpful.

There was quite a lot of cutting required in this one, the engine deck had to be changed and of course the top and front end. As both this and the ARV have big hatches (lol,lol) I fashioned an interior for both on what diograms I had and best guess.

The only down side of this build were the lifting blocks that come as one piece so a lot of little holes had to be drilled in order to feed the cable through. A 3 piece affair wold have been much easier and cleaner to build. I used thread rather than the wire provided with the kit as it was easier and more flexible to work with.

Some pics opf the build:

Once the major cutting is out of the way it's fairly straight forward although I did have to ask Derek about the K spacers for the frame as it wasn't clear where they went. I also fitted an L bean to support the side frames on as per my reference pic..

Both this one and the ARV are a lot of fun and could be done by most builders with some experience of resin and PE. Not for the beginner though.

Yip, it always funny how a slight change in light affects the picture, these were taken in rather poor light and the lighter pics are where the flash went off automatically.

With such big batches a basic interior would have been good but it was a lot of fun bodging one up , just a pity I couldn't find an internal stowage diagram for both.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi David lol, lol,

some updates, cut the ariel down and added some handles to the churn. I'll add a rope around or beside it at some point soon!!!! lol, lol

Also added in a couple of pics of the 2 Cromwell conversions side by side.

Cheers

Al
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 01:20 AM UTC
Nice work as always Alan. Seeing your work gets me motivated!

Jeff
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for looking and your kind comments.

Glad you like them.

Cheers

Al
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:59 AM UTC
Definitely not something you see every day Alan, a nice addition to your engineer collection.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Thanks, they were both interesting and challenging builds as I work my way towards a Sherman ARV and probably another AVRE

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP