Hosted by Darren Baker
Field Artillery Mess Truck Completed
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 05:21 PM UTC
Finished up the construction of the Mess Truck from B Btry, 1st Bn, 2nd Field Artillery, in Germany, circa 1974.

The truck now needs to be weathered a bit and some additional details (like the ladders for the side mounted platform) need to be completed.

The roof looks a little funny because it's removeable so you can see inside.

Next set of shots will show the truck opened up ready to serve some nice warm SOS and hot coffee.

Tom
TankTrap
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC
Cool im beggining to like trucks might have to buy one or one like it
Did you sctratch the feild mess on the back?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hi Tom. Love the truck and especially the camo. Really solid.
The hut on the hand, does not come up to this standard IMO. The hinges are top drawer, but I think the choice of material used and the very noticeable "lid" detract from it. With the large serving window and the back door open, it may have been enough. Maybe Im just too picky .
Maybe opened up and weathered, it will draw the focus elsewhere and this will be immaterial.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Turned out really nice Tom.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The hut on the hand, does not come up to this standard IMO. The hinges are top drawer, but I think the choice of material used and the very noticeable "lid" detract from it. With the large serving window and the back door open, it may have been enough. Maybe Im just too picky .
Maybe opened up and weathered, it will draw the focus elsewhere and this will be immaterial.

Yeah, that's always the trade-off when you do something the way I did this. It's designed to be displayed either closed or open, with working door and serving window, as well as the ramp on the side. There is a scale mismatch on the hinges for sure and with the removable roof, there's going to be a gap which the canvas on the real truck would have covered by wrapping down over the sides.

It absolutely doesn't look as good in this configuration as it might if I had built it to be displayed only in the "travel" configuration. I wanted both, so there was some compromise.

I debated about simply painting over the plastic sides of the structure, but covering it with tissue provides more texture. The actual vehicle had a plywood structure which instead of being painted, was covered with tarp canvas and was pretty "rough" looking. Again, there's some scale mis-match, but this seems closer to the original.

Once everything gets weathered, and opened up, the effect should be a bit different.

David, yes the whole hut is scratch built. There are several in progress photos (both painted and unpainted) in my gallery.

Tom
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
She is turning out great. Mmmm, I can smell some nice SOS cooking up now. I think I'll get in the chow line.
 _GOTOTOP