_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Good IDF reference books?
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC
I’ve recently reignited my childhood passion of scale modeling and I’m a bit overwhelmed by all the new kits, supplies, and conversions that have popped up in the 20 plus years since my last build – but it’s a pleasant surprise!

Anyway, this go round as an adult modeler, I’m totally fascinated by the IDF. While finding this site on the internet has already proven to be an outstanding resource, I would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of some good “general” IDF reference books.
Many or you know much, much more than I do about the IDF and IDF vehicles and I would LOVE to learn more! Plus, I feel learning more would help me to get more from and to contribute more to this site.

So, are there any “must have” reference books someone who is new to IDF modeling should have?

Thanks,
Noah
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC
I got a copy of Robert Menansherob's "Lioness and Lion of the Line", a study of IDF Shermans (the first of nine planned volumes). It's great!

He is an IDF reserve officer and was a staffer at the Latrun Armor Museum. Jim Rae did a review of it here a bit ago. ML, PMMS and TL also have reviews.

You can order them here:
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/index.htm

It's top shelf stuff for sure!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 05:40 AM UTC
Guess it depends if you like the more current stuff or earlier (say pre '80's). IDF Armoured Vehicles by Suenkler and Gelbart from Tankograd Publishing is a great start for modern stuff. There are good books on Merkava 3 and Magach 6 from Desert Eagle/Legend. One on the Merkava familyby M. Gelbart. Concord's Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars Vol 1 and 2 (hard to find now I think).

Jim
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Roy for the compliments.

Noah,
All the books that mention are very good and need to be in any IDF armor modelers library. I buy any IDF book (even in priority over the kits) that is out on the market since many times even one good photo is worth the price of all the book. And let me tell you as a books producer by myself, its alwayas cheaper to buy the book than to try to find, or travel to take the photo by yourself. I really think that each book and each company put in thier books a different aspects and perspective and of course different photos. I also know that this days the Internet is full with photos and than the Q that many people asking why to buy the book? And the answer is because the complete package that you are getting with the book and many other answers...........(the book still has its magic).
Many times I see modelers that spent hundreds of dollars on kit, PE, Metal guns, tracks but save the money for the book and ending with inaccurate model.
This is my answer as an IDF modeler to you. Buy them all,
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartin

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a copy of Robert Menansherob's "Lioness and Lion of the Line", a study of IDF Shermans (the first of nine planned volumes). It's great!

He is an IDF reserve officer and was a staffer at the Latrun Armor Museum. Jim Rae did a review of it here a bit ago.

If only In fact, Mike Land [KELLEY] actually reviewed it - I don't, personally, have an enormous enthusiasm for IDF subjects but in the case of the Isherman (o,k, and the Sh'ot ) I could certainly make an exception

Apart from those mentioned,the other publishing house (who are also producing some excellent material) are Desert Eagle Publishing:

http://achiles.gabiweb.com/06_book01.html
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Concord's Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars Vol 1 and 2 (hard to find now I think).

Jim

I was ordering Concords Iraq Insurgency part 2 last week and saw Vol 2 of Tank Battles of the Mid-East Wars and thought "oh, that looks interesting". Anyway, both arrived today. It's very good, lots of photos, pity more are not color. Anyway, it's on www.worldwartwobooks.com Good seller: I've used it a few times and delivery is pretty fast.
Cheers,
Sean
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:43 AM UTC
While I have most or the references listed, I find three "coffee table" references from the 80's to be the best I have for anything up to '82.
One is "Tbe Israeli War Machine." I can't remember the other two off the top of my head, but one might possibly be "A History of the Middle East Conflicts, 1948 to the Present. I have mentioned them in past posts, mainly dealing with Centurions. There are also a few pics posted from one of them. With any luck, there may be some info in the photos as to their origin.
 _GOTOTOP