_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill/Bren Carriers re-working
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi guys,

some pictures of two projects I'm currently working on. The first is a re-vamp of a very old Churchill Mk VII my first and only British Tank build before I started modelling again. I though I would try and re-cycle the kit and see what happened lol, lol

I used a left over turret from the AVRE build and reworked it with the flat front and some welds

I added some resicast fire extinguishers to replace the kit ones

On the sides I've added lots of little metal fittings and re-wired the cables, added some additional protection to the front and I'm currently reworking the rear can stowage holders.

I've also added periscope tops and fashioned an external sight from bits from the Cromwell build.

The other project is also a reworking of 2 not just as old Bren Carriers.

Have added formations radios and plummed the wiring, sorted out some of the weapons and added slings and bits and bobs. Awaiting some replacement tracks to get things finished off and then it's a matter of tying down the external stowage where necessary and re-working the figures.

These are 2 of 6 I intend to build and though it would be good to practice on these before I do a couple of deep wading versions, an MG carrier and a 3" Mtr version.

Still a lot to do but at least I finally made a start as I'd been thinking about re-doing these for about 2 years

If the Churchill works out half decently I might add some of Cromwell Tank Riders I have as they have been looking for a home for some time and I want to try out adding some ranks and badges to figures to see if that works.

Cheers

Al
Jon_Vancil
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
Alan, they look great!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

Thanks, they are coming along.

Now would be a good time for comments if anyone has any

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 07:56 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well I've also most finished scraping and sticking small metal bits on, just a few more to go so I've piled on some kit to see what it might look like. One option would be to add some Sherman Tracks onto the turret but then that might defeat the work done to make it a smooth one lol, lol.

I had considered a driver and gunner but it might never get done so a couple of crew in Pixi Suits might go into the turret.

couple of updates, hopefully I'll get the remainder of the bits on tomorrow and then get on with the fun bit of painting it and kitting it out.

Al
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:30 AM UTC
Looking very nice Alan.

You build more in 24 hours than I do in 24 days.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Murdo,

The Seasons Greetings to you. Building is way behind schedule due to a recent house move , new job (incl early start) and lots of other stuff but I'd really like to try and get these finished off over the holiday period, they have been hanging around for ages. No doubt I'll still be working at them in 2008 lol, lol.

Hope all is going well with the Pl of 432's?

Cheers

Al
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC

Looking good Alan ........have a walkaround of b-g carrier in file some where if you want it (bit late )
Masterclass on 432 's in pipeline for Murdo (cough!) If and when can get him back from 'skeets'and 'floaties' ....
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Thanks the walkaround of the carrier would be good, never too late.

Murdo, your secrets out

Masterclass on 432 's in pipeline for Murdo (cough!) If and when can get him back from 'skeets'and 'floaties'

Cheers

Al

Edit:

I was just having a look through some reference pics of the Churchill in Normandy and they don't seem to have carried much on the rear deck except troops. I suppose it's to do with the barrell of the turret being quite close to the deck which would make sense. Looks like low lying items only.

AL
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 07:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Some updates on the Churchill:

I Have about finished with small metal bits and placed some stowage. Will move onto finishing that and adding some soot and dust/grime over the next few days.

Thought I'd do a Tail End Charlie of the Scots Guards, 6th Guards Brigade with the Commandre facing one way and the Gunner the other. Might try Pete's 2 new Ultracast figures for this one and see what they look like. Now where did I put those decals!!!

Commenmts welcome.

Cheers

Al
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Al,

Great work on re-vamping some old kits!

I'm no expert on churchill's so i'll just tell you that it looks good!

The universal carriers are more my area and I can say that you have done a good job of both of them, the work on the radio's and stowage is apparent.
Aftermarket tracks are a must when modelling this puppy as the Tamiya one's are way off!
Be prepared to have to replace the Tamiya drive sprockets when you get them though as the tooth spacings are all wrong, the tracks should come with their own.

Keep up the good work, it's great to see some British armour being modelled!

James
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi James,

Thanks for the feeback. I have some AM tracks on order for the carriers and will get them finsihed off when they arrive.

The Churchill is in it's final stages, with just the weathering and mud to add and the crew to do, it looks a bit more interesting now and should last another 10 years lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Some daylight pics of progress so far. Nothing much, a little dust and have added a few decals. I've used the WD number for Ben Nevis, but was unsure about using the name as I had given this version a flat front on the turret, so at the moment it represents an unspecified tank form 2nd Battalion Scots Guards 6th Guards Brigade. I will alter one of the WD numbers and see if I can find suitable decals for another name, possibly Don or Dee from No 11 Tp, Left Flank.

Undecided about mud - yet!! lol, lol. Don't think the Ultracast figures will work with this one so will hunt around for some alternative crew over the next few days.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to You all.

Well looks like your slacking here as this last lot of pics passed by without comment. Perhaps it's the invisible paint I'm using

Got some new resin tracks which Graham at Resicast has re-cast that look the business for the carriers so I shall have to see how I get on with them.

Anyone have a picture of 'Ben Nevis' can't find one despite many searches!!!

Cheers

Al
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC
Alan ,Im impressed with your work,and you move FAST on a build....Im a bloody snail here..completing probably 3 projects a year..
One of my current projects is a Churhill AVRE(my favorite tank ) and youve done a great job on yours. Have you got Fruil tracks?
I found in research that churchill crews definitely didnt put alot of stowage on their vehicles(unlike Sherman crews)...and definitely up-armoured the front and round the turret with spare tracklinks(lot of refs show Sherman tracks).
I saw a short film clip of what looked like a lend-lease Russian Churchill with one of its track coverplates all bent up and broken near the turret,hanging up and showing the tracks under. I almost tried that ,but Im lazy...
I like your idea of putting top covers on the periscopes..good idea!(will borrow it for my Matilda)
I bought a great Commonwealth crew at a show by ULTRACAST that I plan to use in mine,but I havent checked to make sure the positioning of the fugures works well with the tank yet..but they look GREAT
Super job Alan!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Glad you like it. I had thought of adding some Sherman tracks to the front of the turret but that might defeat the fact I've shown it with a flat face, without the buldges, although it would make it look meaner lol, lol. Re tracks, I just used the kit tracks which when painted up have quite a lot of detail, and the same on my AVRE.

The AVRE really got me interested in the Churchill, the large turret for the Spigot Mtr just looks perfect for the body.

Re the kit, yip with the barrel so low down and the exhausts etc, kit on top of the rear deck would have gotten in the way.

Look forward to seeing your AVRE, I'd like to do another, maybe a Facine or Carpet Layer, I've also toyed with the diea of a Bridge Layer but one thing is for sure I'll be building a few more of these. A very interesting and under-rated vehicle.

Re buld speed, mine only look fast because I have 3 or 4 things on the go at the same time, therefore they all appear to get done around the same time but I've probably been working on them for weeks if not months lol, lol

Crew are almost done, just need to decide on a name, hence the Ben Nevis question

Happy New Year to You.

Cheers

Al
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:59 AM UTC
Mr Churchills Tank is supposed to be an excellent reference..but I havent enough "coin of the realm"to squander on it ..
I have picked up from Resicast a decalsheet for D-Day churchills(specifically AVRE),but mabe something like that would work?
I must admit ..and Im sure purists would cringe,or egg my house ......that when it comes to markings sometimes I fudge it,and try to just make it "feel" authentic.Heresy...I know...
Youre right about the tracks ..I should have saved my $57.00 CAD
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 03:01 AM UTC
I also need to fork out for a digital camera...Im horribly backward here in the Canadian wilderness...please excuse me now ..its time to milk my Moose..
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also need to fork out for a digital camera...Im horribly backward here in the Canadian wilderness...please excuse me now ..its time to milk my Moose..

- GHood way to start the New Year

Mr Churchills Tank is an excellent book I spalshed out when I got the Churchuill bug. Check you PM's ok.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:04 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

About done with this one;

Have added some crew, and the decals for Ben Nevis. Never did find a picture but it should be a reasonable representation of a Churchill MkII of 2nd Battalion Scots Guards, 6th Guards Brigade.

Happy modelling in 2008

Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi Al

Lovely Churchill, the rust on the spare tracks toned down nicely by the end of the painting. You could still lose the chunky Brens on the Carriers though, if you wished, as according to the New Vanguard on the carrier the cradle mounts weren't used on later Mark 2 Carriers, there was just a rubber pad to rest the gun on.

The subject of whether or not for the bulges either side of the mantlet opening is a bit of a difficult one to pin down. They seem quite rare and (so far as I've seen) non-existant for Normandy. They do appear occasionally later on, Peter Beale's book Tank Tracks has a 9RTR tank called Iceni (appropriately for me!) pictured with bulges with the photo dated February 1945 and it's a new replacement tank.

For the Scots Guards, maybe you should have picked Robert Runcie's tank, if you could have found its nickname - going from tank officer to Archbishop of Canterbury is an interesting career progression.

BTW agree about Mr Churchill's tank, bought mine (appropriately) on a visit to the IWM.

David
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback on the kits.

Kevin Tucker sent me this on the WD Number

I am sorry I cannot answer your question directly all I can say is that as far as I know is that "Ben Nevis" T173143H falls in the T172786 - T173285 range. There were 3 different Mk's manufactured within this batch Mk IV, V and VII.
Unquote

Rick aka, the Bear tells me that the square turret, although rare does exist on the Mk VII and as I could find no pic of Ben Nevis well some modelling licence there. Redaing Mr Churchill Tank would seem to indicate that the tank was in a constant state of development and if a Mk VII hull and a square turret rolled off the production line at the same time then that is what you got. lol, lol I didn't ask Rick if it was a feature in Normandy, so any setting could be later or I could change the decals if necessary.

Interesting about the bren guns not having the mantle - thanks.

Re Dr Runcie yes, but he was not the only one to look for an explanation after the war, a certain Pope springs to mind

Again thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

been a while since I added t this one, a little more done on the 2 carriers:

This one is a vehocle of 5th Battalion Coldstream Guards who provided infantry support to 2Nd IG (Armd) in the early part of the Noprmandy Campaign.

Still need to add some contrast to the mud and sort out a few bits and figs.

On the second carrier I've marked it as a vehcile from teh Independant Mortar and Machine Company of Guards Armoured Division. Excuse the 'flash' pics;

Idea came from:

Again, still lots to do on this one.

Al

harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Hi Al
Very nice looking carriers, will they be going with the deep wading brens? That staff car photo is one I've I wanted to do for a while!!! Are you planning on including a staff car!!! Once again, very nice looking carriers. Nick
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 09:12 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

Thanks, I've been doing bits and pieces on them for ages lol, lol. As to final destination the Coldstream Guards one will probably end up on my IG Tank dio and the other might join a 3"mrt version I have yet to build. Both still need some more work/kit and some crews sorted out.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP