_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Tank Colors
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 12:41 PM UTC
I am preparing to build a couple of IDF tanks (Magach 7A and Merkava III) and would like to know how to get that green-brown color.

I would prefer to use acrylic paints. Typically, I use Tamiya and Games Workshop; but, would be open to other brands. Mixing is also not a problem, as long as I know what colors to use.

In case is matters, the models are 1/72 and I will be using an airbrush to apply the paint.

Thanks in advance.
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, it's not a green-brown color, it just appers that way under certain lighting conditoins. It's a grey.

That's a cool grey.... I will look up the Lifecolor paints and see what they have. Thanks for the info.
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Look for UA034 Israeli Sandgrey 1982.

Great!! Thanks, again.
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
I use mm sac bomber tan.
Mike
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 02:46 AM UTC
I have used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya's Med Grey and Buff with good results.

Use that for the base and then lighten with white for a post shading effect.

cheers
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya's Med Grey and Buff with good results.

Use that for the base and then lighten with white for a post shading effect.

I came across this website while looking for the Lifecolor paint. It also mentioned the Tamiya Med Grey and Buff. Since I have those colors, that is what I was planning on using. But I was going to lighten the base color with more Buff instead of white. After seeing your excellent example, maybe adding more Buff may make it too "brown." I will experiment with both options on some practice piece first.

Thanks for the assist.
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use mm sac bomber tan.

I assume you mean Testors Model Master....

I have attempted to use MM in the past and do not like it. I think it has to do with the fact that I have been using acrylics for almost all of my modeling "life." Of course that is applying paint with a traditional brush. It is only recently that I have started to use an airbrush. I am still trying to get the hang of it; but, I really like the results when they come out right. Maybe once I have a better feel for the airbrush I will give enamels another go.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 03:31 PM UTC
Testors has an acrylic Model Master line as well. They spray well, but use their own airbrush thinner for best results.

Jim
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Testors has an acrylic Model Master line as well. They spray well, but use their own airbrush thinner for best results.

Thanks for the tip. I may pick some up in the future and give them a try. I know that MM makes FS colors, so it may be worth it to add them to my collection.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:01 AM UTC
There is a thread going on at IDF In Scale for further thought:
http://idf-in-scale.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=240

I have matched a paint chip given to me by Mark Hazzard at AMPS one year with a 50:50 mix of Tamiya XF-20 and XF-57. To me, it definitely has a dark green tinge.

Jim
Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hey William, I know this thread is almost a year old and you obviously by now have completed your Magach and Merkava by now. Here's some food for thought. There is now a Model Master color called Israeli Armor Sand/Gray(2138). Looks right to me as I have some for a Merk and a Batash I'm going to do soon. It is Enamel though...I was an avid believer in acrylics until a good friend and excellent modeler showed me what a good thinned enamel should look like. I was not thinning it enough, it should have the consistency of non-fat milk, very thin. And your pressure should be around 10-12 psi. I gave it try and it worked out great.
Hope that can help in the future. I'd like to see your models, are they on here somewhere?
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thanks, Kerry.

Actually, work has been pretty busy and I have had to study for certification exams. The last time I sat at my workbench before today was February or March. I have not worked on anything.

That said, I was able to get a whole weekend off adn I am planning on completing a 1/72 M60A1 that has been on the workbench for over a year. The next model I plan on working on is a conversion project for a Magach 7A. I will take a look at the new color.

Thanks for the info.
Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
Yep, know the deal well. I'm just about finished with my 2-year program in Physical Therapy. I RARELY get an opportunity to sit down and carress the plastic! LOL. Keep plugging away when you can, and post WIPs when you can.
Stormovik101
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 06:24 AM UTC
I have painted a M-113 with that mix of XF-20 and XF-57 and the result was a light grey, not the darker and greenish paint that israelir armor now show. I think that XF-51 Khaki Drab would be a good start for the paint.
darylayo
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 08:28 AM UTC
what is the equivalent mix or color in gunze mr. color?
 _GOTOTOP