_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Using the Reviews Submission Form
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 04:45 AM UTC
In order to help smooth out the Reviews submission process, especially for those who are submitting a Review for the first time, here's a quick little tour/tutorial on how the form works and what information needs to be input into each field for the Review to be accepted. There's two screen shots with numbers assigned to each field to make it easier to identify what's what. The Online Form is found by clicking on the Submissions link at the top of the page, scrolling down to Submitting a Review, and clicking on the Online Form button.

#1. Author. This is your Armorama Screen Name and should be auto-populated when you click on the "Online Form" button and the form page is presented. It's how your Review will be linked in with your User Profile and your work credited to you.

#2. Reviewed By. This is your actual Real First and Last Name. Please do not leave blank. Not everyone has their full First and Last Name in their user profile and Reviews posted to the home page look a bit strange when they are credited to just "bill" or "jim".

#3. Subject Nationality Drop-Down Menu. Choose the appropriate country for the item you are reviewing. If no country applies, then leave on the "Select Country" choice.

#4. Language Drop Down Box. Defaults to English and should be left that way for all Reviews published on Armorama.

#5. E-mail. This is a place to enter your email address and is optional. It provides an alternate way for you to be contacted by the staff and is not shown on the Review page when the Review is published.

#6. Time Period Drop-Down. Broad category time-frames are provided. Choose the best one that applies to the subject being reviewed. If no time-period is applicable (i.e. a Tools review), then leave on the Select Timeframe choice.

#7. CAT Drop Down. This is an important choice to make as it will classify/index the review under the Reviews section and also determine where the Review will show on the Homepage. 21 different choices are available, choose the one that fits best.

#8. Review Type. There are 5 types available: 1) First Look for reviews that are essentially just photo shots of the sprues and don't contain any text or critical evaluation. 2) In-Box which are critical reviews without building or using the item 3) Built which are for Build reviews of items, sometimes after an In-box has been done depending 4) Book which is for books and 5) Tool which are for tools and other items which aren't kits, AM sets, etc.

#9. Vendor Drop Down. Please choose the Vendor/Manufacturer. If you don't see it listed, please choose Other. If choosing Other, be sure to include relevant manufacturer information in #25, Notes to the Editor, so it can be properly credited/cataloged.

#10. Short Title. This is meant to be an easy-to-recognize title for the review such as Marder III or Panther G. It has a 30 character limit (including spaces).

#11. Full Title. This is for the full actual title of the item being reviewed. For example this might be 1/35 German Sdkfz 138 Marder III or similar. You do not need to include the Item ID here as that belongs in #15. This doesn't have a character limit per se, but whatever is put in here will be displayed under the Short Title and if it goes on too long, it can cause an error and not display the text of the review properly. Keep this one under 100 characters if at all possible.

#12. Choose Section Drop Down. This will further classify where the Review will end up in the Reviews section. Most of the Reviews will belong under the AFV designation unless it's more specific and goes under Tanks, Tank Destroyers, etc. If in doubt, leave it at the AFV level and we can always adjust it before publication.

#13. Scale Drop Down. Choose the appropriate Scale for the item in question. For books or tools, choose Other as the form will require a Scale to be chosen before you can submit it.

#14. Related Link. Optional field and generally not used and should be left blank.

#15. Item ID. This should be the Product/Manufacturer's ID designation such as a kit # or item #. For Books, please include the ISBN here.

#16. Price. This is the price of the item, usually MSRP if it's a sample provided by a vendor/manufacturer. If Purchased by Reviewer, include your purchase price. Be sure to designate proper currency such as USD, GBP, Euros, etc.

#17. Related Link Title. Same as #14. However, if you fill in #14 you must fill in #17 as well or will receive an error.

#18. Additional Images URL. Unused, please leave blank.

#19. Introduction. This is an important section and needs to be done in the 3rd person as if you were speaking to someone else about your Review. For example, I would type "Bill Plunk reviews the Tamiya XXXX" in these two-three sentences. If you don't write something here, we'll make it up. It will show up in the Reviews section but not on the actual Review page itself.

Moving down the screen, we come to a very important section, #20.

#20. Body of Text. This is where you put the text of the actual Review. The field will retain formatting for spacing but not bold/italic text if you cut/paste from a word processing program. Please include section breakdowns such as "Introduction", "Kit Contents", "Review", etc. See other published Reviews for examples on how this is done. This requires a balance, not too few and not too many. Most reviews should be at least 400 words depending but can be less (or more) depending on the subject matter. There's no limit to the text that can be input here.

#21. Highs. This is where you input a very brief summary of the item's high points as mentioned in the Review. It's highly recommend that you not add anything NEW here that you didn't state in the review. This has a character limit of about 200 characters, roughly 2 to 2.5 lines of text in the box max. Even though it will allow you to write more, the actual submission will cut off at the limit and the Editors will not see the missing parts. This is true for #22 and #23 as well.

#22. Lows. Input a very brief summary of the item's low points just as with #21. Character limit applies.

#23. Verdict. Brief summary of your Conclusion about the item in question. Should not just be rehash of Highs and Lows. Character limit applies.

#24. Overall Rating. The rating should be a fair evaluation of the kit as reflected on the high/low/verdict statements. Ratings of 100% will not be accepted as nothing is perfect and you'll be asked to revise it before publication.

#25. Notes to the Editor. This field is an artifact and doesn't actually convey any information along with the submitted Review text. If you need to provide additional information to the Editors, please add it to the Body of Text field with a comment that it's for the Editors and not part of the actual Review.

That's all there is to it. Feel free to post comments/questions if you have them.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
Thanks for that Bill, I am actually working on my first two right now.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 09:02 AM UTC
Glad to hear it's helpful Mark, looking forward to the Reviews.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

I just sent in my first review. I hope that it is up to snuff.

Thanks for the instructions. They came in very useful.

However I am having problems getting photos sent to you. I guess maybe I need a little more instruction on using http://support.kitmaker.net.

Thanks,

HARV
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
Harv,

The easiest way to submit photos to the NRC is to do it by email. Email them as attachments to support(at)armorama.com and make sure the individual files attached are smaller than 5 MB and your files will be received as a ticket and we'll take it from there.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:38 AM UTC
Thanks Bill,

I appreciate the help. I am going to try and send them to you as soon as I post this reply.

Thanks again,

HARV
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Harv,

The easiest way to submit photos to the NRC is to do it by email. Email them as attachments to support(at)armorama.com and make sure the individual files attached are smaller than 5 MB and your files will be received as a ticket and we'll take it from there.

THANK YOU for that, it makes it far easier. Is it possible for you editors to pull photos directly from our photo albums? I already loaded all the photos in there, it would be a hassle to have to size them down and send them all, but if I must, I must.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 11:54 AM UTC
Jacques,

We have to load the photos into their own gallery for the published content to avoid having users deleting photos out of their albums down the road for space considerations and ending up with a Review or OD/Feature with no photos. It's much simpler to have the photos sent to the NRC or to an Editor for handling as a result as saving the files from your gallery and then re-uploading them to a new gallery takes even more time due to the unfortunately slow speed the gallery software has when doing this sort of thing.

If you send larger photos than what's in the gallery, that also gives us some leeway for editing/resizing as well for the final article without sacrificing quality on the JPG image. Since JPGs are compressed files, everytime they are opened and resaved they lose just a little bit of their quality each time so we try to avoid that as much as possible.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 05:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yeah, i thought it woudl work out like that. The problem is that I am finishing up the build review for the DML SU-100 and I have around 50 photos to send with it. I have been adding pictures together to help save space and cut down on the size issue, but some of them are in the 300-500KB range.

Any suggestions? I am also thinking of setting up some sort of .pdf as aframework for doing consistent build reviews, something generic that would still give guidance and uniformity; is that of interest to Armorama? I do not want to stifle creativity, but it would also help me and several others I know to be able to download a file, write on it, and send it off as an attachment to you editors, along with pictures. Just a thought anyhow.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:26 AM UTC
Jaques,

Check the dimensions on your files, if they are in the 500Kb range chances are good they are larger than they need to be. The minimum we need is 800x600 and anything larger than 1600x1200 is really overkill.

The idea on a PDF is an interesting one, I suggest you talk with Jim Starkweather about that one as it involves technical details that I can't easily answer.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 07:14 PM UTC
For additional convenience, this SBS has been added as a Feature on both Model Shipwrights and here on Armorama (thanks to Mark Smith!). You can find the Feature text here: http://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1930&syn=1946
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:24 AM UTC
Bill...it seems you're a busy man. I do not know if you got my reply but i still cannot get my review pass. I would like very much to get some help here. What do I do? I am tired of trying. I do not know what more I can do. I do not understand why I am having so much problems getting this review pass.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill...it seems you're a busy man. I do not know if you got my reply but i still cannot get my review pass. I would like very much to get some help here. What do I do? I am tired of trying. I do not know what more I can do. I do not understand why I am having so much problems getting this review pass.

Charles,

I'm only able to check email in the evenings and did respond to your emails but due to timezones there was delay in responding and receiving, sorry for that. Your Review has been received and will be edited and posted soon. Your problem centered around leaving the Introduction text box blank, this is a required field or it will produce the "no valid summary" error and prompt you to go back and add one in. Unfortunately I can't update the instructions in the first post to reflect that due to the age of the post, so I'm posting it here for others to reference for the future. Thanks for staying with it and getting it submitted.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC
A refresher bump since it's been 3 months or so since this was last updated.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 06:40 PM UTC
Just one note to make....

On #19 Introduction, please fill in something here, even if it's just 'Review by James Bella'. If this is left blank, when the preview button is hit it may be rejected and you'll need to start from scratch and fill in all the fields again.

Edit.......oops, I see Bill already covered that back in April, maybe I should read a bit more carefully;-)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the idiots guide, helps a lot.

Al
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the guide, easy peezy.
Bill
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC
My pleasure Bill, glad it's helpful.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
can we still submit reviews via email? Instead of filling out the form i just wrote everything out in word, can I just email that or do i have to put it in the form?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

can we still submit reviews via email? Instead of filling out the form i just wrote everything out in word, can I just email that or do i have to put it in the form?

You should probably be writing your review using a word processor anyway. It literally takes one a further 2-5 minutes to copy and paste it into the online form, and complete the remaining fields. Furthermore, the review will then be available for any of the editors to edit, whereas if you email it, it may have gone to only one editor.

If you're dead-set on mailing the review to an editor, I highly suggest (being a former editor) in the interest of making the lives of the editors a bit easier, that you add all the relevant fields from the online form so that the editor can complete it on your behalf as quickly as possible.

Of course the greatest thing one can do to help an editor when submitting a review or article is to do a spell and grammar check and actually read what one has written. Again as a former editor you won't believe how many times I've been left wondering if folks know how to press F7 in MS Word (F7 is the shortcut key for the spell checker in Word).
This post was removed.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 07:44 PM UTC
Thanks for posting this sticky. It helps to make things very clear and I believe that I fully understand how the process works. I would like to do some reviews, but I'll have to see what time allows.
 _GOTOTOP