_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Glueing Rubber tracks
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
How do I keep vinyl trax together?, I tried super glue, but when I try to stretch it over the wheels, the bond is never strong enough. I did not try a hot blade, fearing the trax would be deformed.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
If the tracks can not be glued, you might try getting the end of a hot screwdriver or knife just close enough to the track pin to heat it then push it down with your fingertip. Or you could try to staple the track ends together if the join can be hidden under a fender or skirt. One other option is to tie the ends together with a piece of thread.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or you could try to staple the track ends together if the join can be hidden under a fender or skirt.

This is what I have done in the past that has worked the best for me.

HARV
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:02 PM UTC
You won't deform vinyl tracks with a heated blade (but don't use a soldering iron, as that is too hot). Just heat the tip of an old butter knife on a stove burner for a few seconds and touch it lightly to the pins. Don't try to mash them down with the blade. Remove it immediately and press the softened pins flat with your fingertip (it won't burn you). You will have strong, rounded vinyl rivets holding your track together. Best to hide the join under a track skirt or a return roller.
malcolm
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC

if the tracks cant be glued, I use my pyro graver to melt the tips, still need to be carefull, but it works.

malc.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC
How about using the flexible superglue Zap makes? I've used it and it usually works, except with the strange silver material Airfix made tracks from which nothing held together.

If you go via the heat sealing route use a very small screw driver, I've got an old jewellers one with a wooden handle which I've almost destroyed with repeated heating. If you touch the head of the pin carefully with the hot screwdriver and finish off with a fingertip, then you shouldn't heat the track enough to deform it.

David

_GOTOTOP