Hosted by Darren Baker
Mule
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me if they still make a model of the " Mule " . It was like a flatbed off a pick up truck with a motor and tranny and one seat and a steering wheel and had a 105 recoilless mounted on it. One was even used in the movie " Maximum Overdrive " with an M 60 mounted on it. I'm just returning to modeling after a 40 some year absence and would love to get a hold of one of these again. Built one back in the 60's when I was a kid and had a blast making a dio with the " Mule " as the center piece and plastic green army men around it.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC
Steve,
Dragon makes a kit, just as you mentioned, with the recoiless.

BTW, welcome back!

Mule Kit

sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Jim

Thank you for such a quick reply. And yes it has been WAY too long away. At least I have an idea where to start to find some of the stuff I did when I was young. Funny thing is that a lot of what I see on these pages is what we had back then. Guess the old saying holds true "the more things change the more they stay the same ".

Thanks again.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC
Steve,

I like you came back after being away for a while. There are some very helpful people around here, so don’t afraid to ask anything.

sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Jim,

Trust me I am NOT shy. If I need to ask I will definitely ask. Seems you guys know more about armor than I know about every thing in general. Makes it easy to ask for help on subjects when there are so many willing to help. BTW that is the one I was looking for. And Thank you again for the help.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone tell me if they still make a model of the " Mule " . It was like a flatbed off a pick up truck with a motor and tranny and one seat and a steering wheel and had a 105 recoilless mounted on it. One was even used in the movie " Maximum Overdrive " with an M 60 mounted on it. I'm just returning to modeling after a 40 some year absence and would love to get a hold of one of these again. Built one back in the 60's when I was a kid and had a blast making a dio with the " Mule " as the center piece and plastic green army men around it.

The kit you built back then was a large, 1/15th scale item since re-released by Glencoe a decade or so ago, as I recall. Dragon's is a much newer kit, and at 1/35th, less than half as big, but it's more accurate with better detail. They offer it as a load carrier or as a 106 mm recoilless rifle carrier.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 02:57 AM UTC
Dragon's kit #3315

...and #3317 :

and Glencoe's 1/15th scale kit :

HTH
Frenchy
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 03:43 AM UTC
Thank you guys for all the help and info. It's nice to know that they still make these kind of kits for us old farts to reminisce about and build. Might need a magnifier for some of the smaller parts now but still will be a fun little project.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC
Steve,
I am spending my time between building Armor and Ships at the time. I just hope I never again start to build aircraft again. If that happens I am in for trouble.

sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Most of what I build is aircraft. Let the wife pick one out to build and she came home with a 1/800 th Kitty Hawk. 3 months and 90.5 hours on that monster. Let the youngest son pick the last build and he brought home a 1/48th M4 Sherman from Tamiya. Started looking for sites to glean info and tech tips from and found this site. The Sherm is done and I have now started to talk to you guys and... well the rest is a new found love for the hobby again. I won't be a rivet counter but I will get as close as I can to making really good looking models of whatever subject comes across the bench. Thanks to all of you guys for the support and the help and I'll give back what I can in return. (see some of my other post in painting)

Found an M41 Walker bulldog on the shelf of the LHS today and should be starting it sometime over the weekend. Hopefully will remember to get photos of the build process to post along the way .

Thanks again for the help.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 01:35 PM UTC
Steve -

I like your quote:

Quoted Text

Death smiles at everyone

Marines smile back

You probably already know this, but in the Marines the mules were found only in infantry battalions. I noticed one box top showing the mule tooling around near a 175 gun...not a very likely scenario sinc the grunts were pretty stingy with them.....all the while disparaging the lineage of its inventor. We cannon-cockers used M-151's, M-37's, M-35's and M-54's.

Rarely did the grunts take the mules to the field, so they were found mostly in rear areas making noise and dust (or mud) and hauling water cans, rations and supplies.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:30 PM UTC
I took some photos of one a couple years ago: http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/17151
tnichols
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:00 PM UTC
The Mules went to the field.We had one with a 106 mounted on it firing support for us on Operation Starlight in 65.A Mule also came out and picked myself and some other Grunts up and took us to the battalion aid station when we were wounded.I guess I am just telling old war stories.Now the military is looking for a Mule type vehicle to use in Afganistan.Everything seems to go in circles.
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 01:00 AM UTC
Dave,
Found the quote on a bumper sticker of all places. HuuuRaaa

Sabot,
Thanks for the pics link, might come in handy for paint guide in the future.

Ted,
Thought I'd remembered seeing one in action in an over flight once.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
I know this isn't the mule you want but this is a new version.
Photobucket
and another
Photobucket

Bill
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 02:04 AM UTC
Bill,
Looks like a militarized golf cart but gives me some new thoughts on something to build. Thanks for sharing that. Brings up new possibilities for a diorama. Hmmmmm. Just said in another thread how supportive my wife is and how she finds stuff around the house for me to use in my addiction to the hobby. This will give a reason to find new stuff for me to use instead of going out and buying it.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Steve
Glad you like them, I especially like the mag wheels!
Bill
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
Bill,
Yeah, nice touch especially for the military.
tnichols
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:09 AM UTC
See.Everyone looks down on Grunts.

On the seventh day God rested.Marines filled sandbags.
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:58 AM UTC
Ted,
Not always. When inverted I'd have to look up.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
There is a more modern version of the Mule developed by Lockheed. I saw a mock up one at the Armor Warfighting Conference here at Ft. Knox last spring.
Lockheed Mule.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:32 PM UTC
I think in military/government jargon, it's referred to as "up-armored" LOL

Looks like it could some sort of that slat armor for added protection.
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
Sabot,
Before long there won't be anyone in a war. Everything will be automated. Sound like a movie plot to anyone. Maybe Hollywood had some insight to modern warfare that they weren't telling anyone about.
 _GOTOTOP