Hosted by Darren Baker
Marine Corps Sherman Finished
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC
Here is Dragon's 1./72 M4A2 Build OOB. I'm sure the more pedantic folks in the crowd will find a lot wrong with it, but I had a great time with the build, and I found the Sven Ake finishing approach I used on this one to be fun and easy and as you can see for yourself; it lead to some nice results.

more photos when I remember to buy new camera batteries
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
OK, no responses after 100 viewings often means people don't like what they see.

Can you all tell me what is wrong with it so that I might improve things for my next build?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC
Turned out good to my old eyes Ralph.
Hard to believe it's 1/72 scale.
I like the markings you chose.
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
I like it. My first impression was that it was a pretty nice 1/35 build!
Nice job on the dust & fading.
Norm Samuelson
Mattcooke
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Very nice Sherman. Especially in 1/72. I do 1/72 too and love seeing others people's work. You've really nailed it. The weathering is very nicely done.

Daniel
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:09 AM UTC
Hi Ralph,

Looks excellent to me, especially in that scale. Only comment I would make is the colour of the tools, I believe on American Shermans they were always OD but never say never with Shermans and anyway it's a modellers preference.

Regards the lack of response, yes it's rather sad. Don't know what to say there folks don't seem to respond much anymore, whether that's a can't be bothered attitude or jumping from site to site I don't know, but it kinda makes you wounder why bother especially given the time and trouble it takes to post pics in the first palce. If you look at the responses to a lot of posts they are very, very low, some remain at zero replies and I've had the same myself ; posted some pics of figures I was working on got 2 replies and 382 hits lol, lol. Needless to say I posted the follow ups elsewhere.

I was starting to wonder if modelers had the memory span of goldfish!!! - 2 Seconds and move onto something else

Who knows Ralph, there may be many reasons for the lack of rsponse.

Nice work.

Al
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
hi ralph
i like your sherman alot it's a nice clean build and paint job.i like to see models that aren't caked in mud and grime and its always nice to hear how somebody has enjoyed making there chosen kit. im not into ww2 myself but my next build will be a 1/35 SHERMAN.
i to find it immensley anoying when we post pictures of our work on the forum and after 100 hits, still no feedback. were not asking for a lot, just a few lines of someones opinion as to what they think of our work.
all the best ralph.
neil

fsrpcunha
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
Will this be available as a Dragon Ready made ?
I want a couple!!!!

Great model!

Cunha
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
Ralph

Looks great to my eyes, looks nice and dusty! I am unsure regarding the tool handles as well. I like to paint them with a wood finish as you have done.

Cheers

Mike
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ralph,

Looks excellent to me, especially in that scale. Only comment I would make is the colour of the tools, I believe on American Shermans they were always OD but never say never with Shermans and anyway it's a modellers preference.

Regards the lack of response, yes it's rather sad. Don't know what to say there folks don't seem to respond much anymore, whether that's a can't be bothered attitude or jumping from site to site I don't know, but it kinda makes you wounder why bother especially given the time and trouble it takes to post pics in the first palce. If you look at the responses to a lot of posts they are very, very low, some remain at zero replies and I've had the same myself ; posted some pics of figures I was working on got 2 replies and 382 hits lol, lol. Needless to say I posted the follow ups elsewhere.

I was starting to wonder if modelers had the memory span of goldfish!!! - 2 Seconds and move onto something else

Who knows Ralph, there may be many reasons for the lack of rsponse.

Nice work.

Al

Nicely said, I have noticed this as well. I find it is the subject matter not the model itself really. German armour (mostly) gets a lot of looks and often a lot of replies.

Cheers

Mike
szpxxx
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hello Michael,
Very nice paint job, congratulations. My plan is to build a tank from the same company at Tarawa (maybe China Gal), your work is an inspiration for me.
Thanks for sharing & congratulations
Peter
P.S.: Which colour did you use for painting? I like this shade of OD.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:12 PM UTC
very nice job Ralph especially for braile scale the weathering is well done and proportionate(sp) i also do my tools in wood simple for the looks i think it adds interest although Al is probably correct, regarding the replys dont feel bad i think we all suffer from this i just began counting views instead, if people are looking then maybe it is still of interest even if noones posting

Ron.
sadodd
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:29 PM UTC
Ralph,

Outstanding work. Especially for the size. You guys amaze me in the details that you give to your work. I am just getting back to the hobby after a 40 year absence and am just knocked out by level of quality and precision that gets put into the work. I'm not sure that I can devote that kind of quality and precision into my builds but you guys have instilled a desire to at least try.

Once again outstanding work and keep up the quality with your next build.
malcolm
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:25 AM UTC

nothing wrong to my eyes, looks good, in fact...... are you sure its 1/72?

that makes it even better.

well done,

malc.

all I can say about the lack of response is that not everybody likes making allied stuff, but likes making tanks.
let me explain.....
I will look at all posts on the section, I may make a constructive comment about the allied stuff, as thats what i model, i will not make a comment on say german stuff, as I dont know enough about the subject, as i dont make many german models.
If a model is well made I will always leave a comment, but thats just me, please dont take it to heart, just remember each to thier own.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 12:46 AM UTC
Very well done Ralph!
I too thought it was 1/35 so extra bonus points for fooling my peepers...
You do have the weathering touch, as I imagine it would be easy to overdo it in 1/72.
Any plans for a diorama?
Malc raises a good point regarding people's interests. I could count on one mit the amount of German posts I have looked in to.
Brad
markVI
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
Ralph,

I too thought it was 1:35. I like this a lot. I've recently picked up the 1:48 Hobby boss Sherman and it's my first venture into 48th armour. This makes me want to go smaller still.

Nice job
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 08:39 AM UTC
Personally, I like it since it looks right. I'm no expert on WWII armor as my tendency has been to build Vietnam era or modern. They the number of quality WWII Braille scale kits along with some quality time reading books and watching the History channel and Military channel have got my interest. I'd like to build one as good myself!

As to the number of replies, look at it this way, no news is good news. I've seen some guys absolutely pick apart some nice looking builds because they were perfectly detailed to historical accuracy.
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. These Dragon shermans are a breeze to build up, and one almost has to try to screw them up.

RE: Peter Szabo: the model is painted with Polly Scale acrylics. Black base coat, then OD lightened with some white for the topcoat. Then a dusting with a light tan shade.

RE: Bradley. No diorama plans yet. The art of figure painting still escapes me. Especially in 1/72.

Some interesting thoughts about the nature of forum feedback. The trend I noticed is that on English speaking fora, one either gets positive replies, or no replies, and I always equated no reply with a negative reaction. Modelers are more direct on some of the Polish, French and Israeli fora which I've looked around on. These guys are brutally honest, sometimes to the point where the hang-ups people have about particular details are exasperating. Still I'm of the opinion that it is better to hear honest constructive criticism, rather than nothing at all.

johnlinford
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
I must admit I will only post if I like the look of something , this is the first I have seen of this , and for 1/72nd that is exceptional .
One of the best parts of posting your work is reading the replies , and it is a bit dissapointing when no one does so , I should know , just see how many veiws my abrams has had compared to replies .
Don't give up though , because the site is all the better for the likes of yourself .

Go on give yourself a pat on the back .
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC
Ralph,

Really a super job! My brother built the 76th scale Airfix Sherman for our 72nd scale army way back when we were in elementry school sometime back in the early '60's. I still have it stored away in the closet and after seeing yours I will have to go out and build one to set it next to his. I hope that mine will turn out half as good as yours!

As for the responses? Well don't worry to much about that because there are many reasons for this. Just keep on building and posting when you can. And have fun! I have been at this hobby for most of my life and I still enjoy it as much if not more than I did when my brother and I build the Sherman and other small scale armor kits to play war games.

-Eddy
M18Hellcat
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi. Looks good. Don't be alarmed about the lack of comments. My guess is that most people find out that it is 72nd scale and simply move on. 72nd scale while growing in popularity is still a niche market. I have zero interest in the scale and 48th for that matter so I typically move to some other subject as soon as I see any reference to small scale. No offense, jus not my thing. I just wrote because I read your lament about the lack of critiques and thhoouuhtan exnation mig make you feel better. Like I said, nice job. It looks good. Nice weathering job. Take it easy.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
Dear Ralph, your Sherman looks just great ! Congrats ! G.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
This is a beautiful model, especially for 1/72!

But which unit it this tank supposed to be from? I'm curious.
mgdsign
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 685 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi there!

I think I will join the quire and sing the same song all the others have sung...

Looks really good, infact very good with a subtle weathering that is just right.

Glad you found my way of doing things both fun and easy

About replys, well I see it this way, If nobody speaks it usually means there's
nothing much wrong with it. I can honestly say that I am not the best at commenting
other peoples builds but I can assure you that I have seen them all

Great work!!!

Sven-Åke
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:23 AM UTC
Well I like it!

Any pit falls with construction to share.? I intend building one of my Dragon Sherman's after my SU-100 build.

Lovely work as I mentioned earlier

Cheers

Mike
 _GOTOTOP