_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Firefly Tracks
EggMan
Visit this Community
Morbihan, France
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi again,

If someone wants put aftermarket tracks in his/her Firefly (Tasca 1/35 35009 British Sherman VC Firefly), then what is the right choice?

Cheers,

EggMan
123tanx
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Well,If It was me and depending on what time period I would use the AFV Club T-48 tracks with the EECs. Unfortunately one set only gives you enough EECs for like 1 and 1/2 sides
so you would have to buy 2 sets. Still cheaper (in USA) than one set of mind numbing ModelKasten tracks who make the T48 as well as the more common T62. Hope this helps
Cheers Mark
EggMan
Visit this Community
Morbihan, France
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
Yes, it helps a lot. Thank you Mark.

EggMan
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hey EggMan,
AFV Club made 2 sets of glueable vinyl one piece tracks, sets # AF35028 & AF35104.
They're a lot less trouble than individual link tracks.
Squadron carried both sets but one is out of stock and I'm not sure if they're still in production.

http://www.squadron.com/NoStock.asp?item=AC35028

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=AC35104

You may have better luck finding them in Europe.
Cheers

jjumbo
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
AFAIK the only AM T62 links, which are almost always on M4A4 variants (very few exceptions but I am sure there were) the nyou are looking at Model kasten (and a trip to the funny farm after spending 6 mths assembling them) , Accurate Armour resin link and length or AFV club rubber bands.
You would have to find a pic of a Vc with other types such as T48 to avail yourself of AFV links.
CHeers
Al
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 03:54 PM UTC
On actual Sherman VCs in photos, one sees T48 rubber chevron, T62 steel chevron (like tasca gives you) and T54E1 steel cleat.

Given that Sherman tracks were taughtly wound, I'd stay with the Tasca vinyl ones. Sagging would be incorrect.

HTH
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 05:18 PM UTC
All the tanks represented in that kit use T62 except the New Zealand which they say to use T48.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On actual Sherman VCs in photos, one sees T48 rubber chevron, T62 steel chevron (like tasca gives you) and T54E1 steel cleat.

Given that Sherman tracks were taughtly wound, I'd stay with the Tasca vinyl ones. Sagging would be incorrect.

HTH

Roy, you are the last person I would disagree with on Sherman related stuff but with the exception of the Kiwi Vc's it is extremely rare to find a Vc with track other than T62. In the Hayward Book the only Vc in that book not fitted with T62 out of all those pictures (The largest single source of Vc pics BTW) are Kiwi ones in Italy.
The Kiwi ones in the book appear to have T54.
I'm not saying T48 etc weren't fitted but they are extremely rare. A lot of Ic's had T48, T51 and T54 but it is a very rare thing to see on a Vc or a V for that matter.
I agree with the Tasca ones being a good option.
Cheers
Al
malcolm
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 01:57 AM UTC

why do you want to change from the tasca tracks,ive been told tghey are very good,and the correct pattern.

malc.
EggMan
Visit this Community
Morbihan, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
I dont like vinyl tracks because they could broke off and melt model wheels. Thats why i like use Friul ones

EggMan
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HTH

Roy, you are the last person I would disagree with on Sherman related stuff but with the exception of the Kiwi Vc's it is extremely rare to find a Vc with track other than T62. In the Hayward Book the only Vc in that book not fitted with T62 out of all those pictures (The largest single source of Vc pics BTW) are Kiwi ones in Italy.
The Kiwi ones in the book appear to have T54.
I'm not saying T48 etc weren't fitted but they are extremely rare. A lot of Ic's had T48, T51 and T54 but it is a very rare thing to see on a Vc or a V for that matter.
I agree with the Tasca ones being a good option.
Cheers
Al

Hi Al: You had me going back to look. In the Hayward book is pictured the survivor at Leopoldsburg Belgium (pp. 151-152). The caption states that it was a postwar comglomeration of a Firefly turret onto a Sherman V hull (with T54E1 tracks). I think it was an actual Sherman VC because I have other pictures of the tank which includes the remnants of the gun travel lock hinges on the engine deck. Obviously, these wouldn't have been on a 75mm gun tank.

Also are you familiar with the two VCs captured from the Canadians and reused by the Germans? Note the one on the left with T48s and EECs.

Here's another Canadian VC with T48s

I certainly see that they are rarer than I originally thought. You know how it is when something peculiar sticks out in your mind.

I'd like to model that Amersfoot captured and re-captured VC (on pp. 149-150). It's a DV M4A4 hull and the tank has a German Pak 40 muzzle brake. I'm almost certain it's the middle VC facing us in the picture above.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks Roy, they exist but are on the rarer side. I forgot about the Captured examples as I still haven't forgiven DML for offering the Vc with 50 % of the marking options as captured ones. Lazy buggers
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP