_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Flakpanzer Wirbelwind
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Would you believe that this was going to be my entry for the "Achtung Jabo!" campaign? Assorted life pressures (some good, some bad) have eaten massively into my modelling time, but I finished it in November and have just got around to sorting out the photos!

The tracks are Academy indy links and the fuel can is from the spares box, otherwise everything in the kit is came in the box.

I'm working on a small diorama base for it at the moment.

Hope you like it.

Sean

More pics in my gallery.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Sean

I really like it. I just brought this kit myself and I hope mine turns out as half as good as yours.

Well done mate!
Ryally
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 05:10 AM UTC
Looks good. Nicely weathered. Good work on drilling out he barrels, they as quite even. Also good job on opening up the sight.
Couple thoughts. The Jerry can looks out of place, more of a distraction than an enhacement. Did you paint the antenna? In the pictures it looks like unpainted plastic. Instead of a coulpe pieces of paper with a distracting seam down the middle, find a remnant of felt or other cloth at fabric store. That will make a better back drop, but it is good hat you haven't just photographed this on tyour workbench.
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC
looks realy good to me sean
brings back memories of the old tamiya catalogue.how did you create the mud and grime around the running gear?
all the best doc
neil
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
@ Al
Thanks for the feedback. You're right about the seam with the paper. To be honest I could have taken the pics with only one sheet, and I'll do that in future. The seam looks much worse on the final pics than it did through the view finder.
I agree about the antenna. It is painted, but it looks too pale. I'll revisit that.
I was quite pleased with the fuel can. The tank is due to go into a diorama, so hopefully when there are other fuel barrels and ammo crates around the model this will look more in context.

@ Neil
The "mud" is a mixture of white glue and flock applied to the model before painting and then sprayed with earth tones and finished with Mig pigments. Since doing this model I've found using a mix of polyfilla (tinted with acrylic paint) and mixed with static grass, finished off with pigments when wet, is a much better method: it's what I used on this Churchill:

Sean
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Great job Sean, you've done some nice work on this old kit, congratulations. I've always meant to build one of these as it looks like a fun kit and an interesting AFV, but have never managed to get around to it!

One day!

Cheers,

James
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 06:11 AM UTC
cheer's sean
i like the flock and pva idea so it's going on my tiger 1 pics comming soon.
neil
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi sean. Really nice build. Any nit-picks IŽd have would be more at the kit than your build or finish. Great dirst build up as well ... looks excellent on both this and the crocodile.
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 02:42 PM UTC
Sean -

Saw your Wirbelwind here, looking real good! Like how you've incorporated the crew, as well as what youve done with the finish and weathering. Very nice indeed!

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Cheers!

Tim
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Nice model Sean! good job on a old kit. I have a soft spot for flak vehicles, and am crossing my fingers that Dragon will come out with a Wirbelwind sometime...maybe after they make a new tool flakverling!

great job with the mud...ill have to give that a try!
Andy
 _GOTOTOP