Hosted by Darren Baker
cattails
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 09:03 AM UTC
does anyone know if cattail plant are a European plant also? If not then want local type would be present. Thanks.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 09:25 AM UTC
Do you mean the ones that grow in and around water,long stem with brown cigar like end?if so yes they grow in europe.

Steve
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Ola Bob

If you are reffering to the Cattail as in Lythrum Salicaria Yes it is found in Europe. In Holland it goes by the litteral translation of "Kattenstaart" and looks like this

If you are reffering to the Cattail as the type of reed with the cigar end it is found in Europe too. Latin Name Typha Latifolia and in Holland know as the "Lisdodde" or... the name actually everybody knows in Holland... "Rietsigaar" which is litterally translated to Reedcigar
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
thanks to all the answers guys. saves alot of headachs if I was wrong.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
BOB, I was reading through SOLDAT #6512, by Concord Publishing and on page 31 there is a picture of German Troops moving through a forested swampland west of Leingrad. The area seems a bit trampled up but on the right side of the photo about 1/3 of the way down there appears to be two cattails visable....BUT who knows my eyesight is not what it used to be Good luck with your reshearch and Happy Modeling.
rchristenson
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:17 PM UTC
just as a side note, the roots of the cigar-ended "cat tail, as well as the young shoots are edible and tasty!
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:38 PM UTC
Do they taste like chicken sorry , just something we say around my neck of the woods Bob
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2008 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are reffering to the Cattail as the type of reed with the cigar end it is found in Europe too. Latin Name Typha Latifolia and in Holland know as the "Lisdodde" or... the name actually everybody knows in Holland... "Rietsigaar" which is litterally translated to Reedcigar

We used to dry the 'sigars' and used them as 'real' sigars when I was a kid. So we actually lit them them and then they started to smoke. The smell of the smoke and the sigar is really nice. I guess they are nowadays a protected species.

Jelger
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We used to dry the 'sigars' and used them as 'real' sigars when I was a kid. So we actually lit them them and then they started to smoke. The smell of the smoke and the sigar is really nice. I guess they are nowadays a protected species.

Jelger

We did that to, along with dried grape vines.
Good to know the roots are edible, the next time I'm lost in the swamp, I won't starve looking for frog legs.
We also used them when we were younger to ward off the pesky bugs, seems the bugs didn't like the smoke, especially mosquitoes.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:35 AM UTC
Yeah Dave when we were kids we would soak them in kerosene and burn them. Poor man's Tiki torches.

Quoted Text

I guess they are nowadays a protected species.

Wow. They are everywhere in Central Indiana. You guys need some?

Shaun
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We also used them when we were younger to ward off the pesky bugs, seems the bugs didn't like the smoke, especially mosquitoes.

i remember those from when i was a kid. i think they were called "punks" and looked like a fat brown incense stick. had a real sweet, woody odor when burning.
 _GOTOTOP