_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Russian T-90A
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
A new T-90 kit will be here shortly! I know this because I just shelled out $200.00 for the Tamiya T-72 with Miniarm trimmings. Aside from that, While looking for a suitable paint scheme, I found this picture shown below. I would like to know if the Russian T-90's are painted with that 3 tone scheme or is this just some hypothetical drawing. Thanks!

chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thats a legit scheme, theres also the plain Soviet Drab and the Sand/light brown combos seen at military shows - but for your T90A i would think the picture has the correct scheme.

Chris
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks! Now what can I use for Russian T-90 markings? Anobody have any reference on this subject?
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
MniArm stuff is nice and the best out there on the topic, but not easy to put together. Make sure you have all the parts and look for good refs, as the instructions leave much to be desired. Good luck and keep us posted.
http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/xlopotov_2/tank_t90.htm
http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/xlopotov_4/tank_t90sa_1.htm
Dmitry
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 06:23 AM UTC
WOW! Great sites, Thanks! I have a question though. Do modern Russian Tanks not have any markings on them such as unit markings/division markings/turret numbers? Will I just have to build it paint it and be done with it?
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hy Dave!

They do appear as well with turret numbers, kept in white. ( At least I only saw them in white).

I would recommend you the concord title on the T-72/T-90, as it would give you nice camo and marking ideas. If you should not have that title already, drop me a line and I will scan you the relevant sites!

best regards,

Andy T.
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hi all. Here are some in progress pics of my Miniarm/Tamiya T-90A. This Miniarm stuff is excellent. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. Enjoy!

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 04:36 PM UTC
^^ good stuff.. is it just me, but im not sure if i see things right, coz the barrel in the 1st picture seems longer than usual... i dontknow, maybe its just the pics...
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 06:19 PM UTC
Main gun is 2A46M-4(5) which has considerably longer barrel thфn older models installed onto T-72(80).
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 02:16 AM UTC
This is a good thread, and I need some help. I have the Miniarm T-90 M2004 Welded turret. I ordered from Lucky Model (Ray Chung is superb w/customer service), and once I received it, I noted that I had some damage to some of the finer details on the face of the turret. I look at this as NOT being any fault of Lucky Model, and 100% Miniarm as the bag didn;t have the broken pieces left in it, which leads me to believe they broke them prior to packaging and shipping.

Be that as it may, I now have to scratch build a few parts to finish this project. Specifically, I am in dire need of close up detail shots of the front and front angle shots of the welded turret with the "Dazzler" light configuration. I am missing parts of the "Bar" like mounts on the face of the turret which are located beside the "Dazzler" lights.

If anyone has close up photos they can share I would GREATLY appreciate it.

While I'm on a rant about Miniarm, I will say that they make some nice stuff. BUT, I wouldn't say that they are god's gift to modellers. The price we pay for the products, and the lack of availability/scarcity off the products is crazy. I Found other quality control issue with their parts, especially in the track link set which has MANY short shot links that will have to be glued rather than snapped together for assembly. The other beef I have is the M2004 turret assembly instructions had photos of the earlier cast turret for armor tile placement, and not actual photos of the welded turret. I also found the assembly of the CWS to be awkward without a tad bit more detail in placement of the components, but I now have the two links listed above in this thread to work with.

Ok, I'm through venting. Anyone who has other tips, or especially the needed photos, please post here. I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else had QC issues, and how they overcame them.

E.T.
Chas78_wa1
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC
It looks formidable Dmitry...Do you have any links to pages in english? My russian isn't so hot...
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a good thread, and I need some help. I have the Miniarm T-90 M2004 Welded turret. I ordered from Lucky Model (Ray Chung is superb w/customer service), and once I received it, I noted that I had some damage to some of the finer details on the face of the turret. I look at this as NOT being any fault of Lucky Model, and 100% Miniarm as the bag didn;t have the broken pieces left in it, which leads me to believe they broke them prior to packaging and shipping.

Be that as it may, I now have to scratch build a few parts to finish this project. Specifically, I am in dire need of close up detail shots of the front and front angle shots of the welded turret with the "Dazzler" light configuration. I am missing parts of the "Bar" like mounts on the face of the turret which are located beside the "Dazzler" lights.

While I'm on a rant about Miniarm, I will say that they make some nice stuff. BUT, I wouldn't say that they are god's gift to modellers. The price we pay for the products, and the lack of availability/scarcity off the products is crazy. I Found other quality control issue with their parts, especially in the track link set which has MANY short shot links that will have to be glued rather than snapped together for assembly. The other beef I have is the M2004 turret assembly instructions had photos of the earlier cast turret for armor tile placement, and not actual photos of the welded turret. I also found the assembly of the CWS to be awkward without a tad bit more detail in placement of the components, but I now have the two links listed above in this thread to work with.

Ok, I'm through venting. Anyone who has other tips, or especially the needed photos, please post here. I'm also interested in hearing if anyone else had QC issues, and how they overcame them.

E.T.

Yea I ran into a few problems of broken pieces though they were minor and easy fixes. As far as the instructions go they were pretty vague but nothing a little research couldnt fix. I must thank Demetri Kiyatkin and Andres T. for the very helpful reference pics. My T-90 is completely built and I will post some more pics of it tonight before it is painted. Mabye it will help you out some. Good Luck!
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought mine from Andy at Historica Books, in Colorado.

So did I and I HIGHLY recommend Historica Books! I have bought a few things from there and I have nothing but praise.
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Specifically, I am in dire need of close up detail shots of the front and front angle shots of the welded turret with the "Dazzler" light configuration. I am missing parts of the "Bar" like mounts on the face of the turret which are located beside the "Dazzler" lights.

I found this pic on google and it shows the front pretty good. Hopefully it will help.

Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
That does help some. Thanks!
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
Well I'm back!, Sorry for such a long delay but I have been really busy with a career change and moving. Anyway, here are the most recent photos of my T-90. I finished painting it 2 weeks ago and am in the process of weathering it. Shouldn't be too much longer until its finished. Hope you like it. I'll probably post more when it's completly finished. Enjoy!

CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:38 PM UTC
Awesome stuff, that was pretty quick... Adding any figurines?
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome stuff, that was pretty quick... Adding any figurines?

Thanks! Most likely just the Commander figure.
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hey Dave!

I´m very impressed and love the colors you have chosen! Very nice paintjob and subtle weathering so far! Very well done! can´t wait to get my hands on this conversion.

Oh and by the way: Where id the numbers came from? Very nice!

Best regards,

Andy T.
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dave!

I´m very impressed and love the colors you have chosen! Very nice paintjob and subtle weathering so far! Very well done! can´t wait to get my hands on this conversion.

Oh and by the way: Where id the numbers came from? Very nice!

Best regards,

Andy T.

Thanks Andy! The I.D. numbers came from the Verlinden Soviet Numbers dry transfer sheet. The smaller numbers on the fenders came from a spare sheet of woodland scenics dry transfers.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
Looks great, Dave.

I am looking forward to see more as this one progresses.
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC
Dave your T-90 looks great!

I want to let everyone know that I went ahead and made another order for the T-90 Welded Turret from Historica Books. Great service, it took just a couple days to receive it, and now I have something to compare with the turret I ordered from overseas last summer (received in it November).

My prevous turret had damage and it was nearly hopeless trying to scratch the broken area because it is so confined of a space. It would have been MUCH easier to work with had the broken pieces been in the bag, but I was definately missing a part. The new turret had no damage, and is completely intact. The storage bins that came with the new turret are the correct ones as well. The first welded turret came with one of the bins for the cast turret which is different in shape. I also note that the metal barrel with the new turret has no flaws like the other one has, which I am guessing is from cutting the completed barrel from the stock.

So, I have something to work with now, but I am really pissed off at a $50+ loss from the first "lemon" turret. Rest assured I'll be ordering more from Historica Books when it comes to Miniarm products.

xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliment! As far as Historica Books, you can't go wrong! Excelent service and fast shipping. Thats where I got my T-90 equipment from. Good luck on your build!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC
Blucop, got a photo of the damage? Hard to believe it is so bad that you cannot fix that uber-expensive kit. Who knows, maybe there is a way to salvage the kit...
 _GOTOTOP