Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri M1A2
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC
Just picked this up. Looks like molded on non-skid, and A/C unit behind the turret. Open area for an engine but it's not included in the kit.
What's the word on this model? Just hit the market? It's the first time I've seen it...
Gotta stop going to buy paint, I'm finding too much other stuff....

Nate
Wisc. USA
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:43 AM UTC
I've heard mixed reviews. Most complaints centered around the 3-piece lower hull. I saw them at the local shop, but didn't want to spend $36+ on another Abrams.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
It's not the Trumpeter kit. I've talked to modelers who are familiar with all of the various M1 kits and it is a totally new mold. Strange thing is that there is really nothing wrong with the Trumpeter and DML M1A2s. They just needed to be updated to M1A2SEP standards.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
Just looking at that three piece hull sends shivers up my spine... bad flash backs to a Zveda T-34/85....

Nate
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just looking at that three piece hull sends shivers up my spine... bad flash backs to a Zveda T-34/85....

Don't say that...I just bought a Zvezda T-34/76 Model 1942!
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:29 PM UTC
I just picked up my first Trumpeter kit, and my second Abrahms. The M1A1HA with TWMP. Very impressed so far. The mine plow is a second kit within itself! All kinds of goodies with it too. Nice molding, anti skid on the deck. Can't wait to start melting it. Only problem I have right now is wether to start this one next or my old Tamiya Ausf D (I think it's a D, old motorized kit) Been doing alot of modern, and I'd like to do a cammo pattern. The M1 will be a OIF version. This kit looks like it also includes the infared panels. I am so far impressed. Leave it to Armorama to tip me off yet again.

Oh yeah, and on top of all that, I got it locally for $16.99 US! Wish Tamiya could do that.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Plus that second set of tracks will dress up the old Tamiya M1A1. The Trumpeter kits are still the best value going, but I do prefer the DML kits for detail, just don't like all the fiddly building.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
The Italeri is definately not the Trumpeter. It looks nice but I, like Sabot, can't see plunking down 36 beans when a 20 buck accurate Trump is on the shelf next to it!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 - 05:20 PM UTC
Gotta agree...while DML may be a bit more "rugged" to build, they nailed it darn good the first time. Trumpeter is a good improvement, except for the screwup on the turret face, so I would stick with DML. Italeri just got in the game a bit too late.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
So am I reading right, the Trumpeter kits come with the IR panels?

Nate
Wisc. USA
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trumpeter is a good improvement, except for the screwup on the turret face,

Can you explain the screwup?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC
On the Trumpeter kits, for no known reason, the gunner's side front of the turret is too thin starting from the ouside edge, it slowly shims in. Your best bet to find the exact problem is to go the missing-links and download the M1 Tweaks article. It has a pattern to fix the problem and everything. And it is noticable on the built kit, so you can't just build the Trumpeter kit and call it good...grrrrrrr! I am trying to work up a master of a plug to attach to the turret, then cast it in resin. Have not gotten to that point just yet.

The Trumpeter kits come with flat rectangular pieces of plastic, not the appropriate "venetian Blinds" IFF panels...grrrrrrr!
ahueger
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
just bought my ITALERI M1A2 ydy. The anti-skid is more prominent than on any other M1 I know. I am not sure if this can be sanded off in all places ... Other than that the kit looks interesting, CWS and GPS better than any I know. The APU still need a lot detail but at least the connection channel is there. turret hatches have handles but you'd want to replace tem with wiring anyway. There's a little more detail on the track skirts and the roadwheel seem better than TRUMPETER'S. All in all another interesting kit. As it is a rather cheap kit over here in Gmy at abt. USD25 compared to Tamiya (USD 45) and Trumpeter (USD 30) it is a good alternative ...
- Andreas -
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the Trumpeter kits, for no known reason, the gunner's side front of the turret is too thin starting from the ouside edge, it slowly shims in. Your best bet to find the exact problem is to go the missing-links and download the M1 Tweaks article. It has a pattern to fix the problem and everything. And it is noticable on the built kit, so you can't just build the Trumpeter kit and call it good...grrrrrrr! I am trying to work up a master of a plug to attach to the turret, then cast it in resin. Have not gotten to that point just yet.

Thanks, Jacques. I did that last night...not too bad once I really read the fix list and APPLIED myself!
I will snap a digital shot and post soon.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC
M60A3 You are welcome...now lets see the pics!
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

M60A3 You are welcome...now lets see the pics!

Jacques, just started a new post and I have included the turret pics...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 03:35 AM UTC
Talking about Trumpeter, I have read about 20 reviews of their products with about 20 different opinions.... What seems to be agreed is that they are pretty imaginative in theit choice of subjects. In the case of the Challenger 2, the most logical idea seems to replace the running gear with Accurate's wheels and a few other improvements. As th kit only costs about 20 euros (about $17) it's not a bad deal.. Anyone out there seen any reports on Panda kits? They truly have some mouth-watering goodies coming out.....Providing the quality is up to it of course....Jim
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
Andreas
If they looked at a real tank when they made the master or at pictures of a tank that has been through the rebuild process you can get some pretty prominent anti-skid. In the Marine Corps we call it a 40 yard Tank, as it looks pretty new from 40 yards. We have had tanks come back to us where they painted right over chunks of grease.

Andreas

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,
just bought my ITALERI M1A2 ydy. The anti-skid is more prominent than on any other M1 I know. I am not sure if this can be sanded off in all places ... Other than that the kit looks interesting, CWS and GPS better than any I know. The APU still need a lot detail but at least the connection channel is there. turret hatches have handles but you'd want to replace tem with wiring anyway. There's a little more detail on the track skirts and the roadwheel seem better than TRUMPETER'S. All in all another interesting kit. As it is a rather cheap kit over here in Gmy at abt. USD25 compared to Tamiya (USD 45) and Trumpeter (USD 30) it is a good alternative ...
- Andreas -

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC
Hey all......I am just coming on board with this screwed up turret on the Trumpeter M1s....is this only on the M1A2? or on all of Trumpeter's M1's? As I have the M1A1 HA with the mine roller......guess I never really took that close of a look at it....but if this error is in that....I will have to do some building to make it right!!!!
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
All of the Trumpeter M1s are basically the same kit with a different feature. The A2 is the same kit with A2 specific parts.

FWIW I've got two different M1A1s, one a Detroit tank and the other a Lima, Ohio tank. One has very subdued anti-slip coating on surfaces and the other has very heavy and thick coating on more surfaces as well.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Andreas, and thanks for the input......

Nate
Wisc. USA
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all......I am just coming on board with this screwed up turret on the Trumpeter M1s....is this only on the M1A2? or on all of Trumpeter's M1's? As I have the M1A1 HA with the mine roller......guess I never really took that close of a look at it....but if this error is in that....I will have to do some building to make it right!!!!

Viper, all the Trump M1s have the same turret design flaw. Look at this string to get the URL for the fix...
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/11560&page=1
It's not that hard to do. Just remember to measure and measure again!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
Guess what guys?

Got the RTV and evergreen supplies today...now I just have to get home and get to work...maybe this trumpeter turret fix can be a reality now...anyone think there is a market for the "wedges"?
 _GOTOTOP