_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP 1/32 M757EL w Pershing 1A Missile 3408
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
To all my friends here on Armorama. I have deleted this post as it has been sold to FSM Magizine for an article.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Rounds Complete!!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Wow! What an amazing kit!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC
This is going to be a fun kit to watch as you build it. What a great find!!! Didn't the Pershing eventually wind up also having a tracked launcher? I seem to remember there were some Pershings in the Corps Artillery groups in Germany in the early to mid 70's.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is going to be a fun kit to watch as you build it. What a great find!!! Didn't the Pershing eventually wind up also having a tracked launcher? I seem to remember there were some Pershings in the Corps Artillery groups in Germany in the early to mid 70's.

Pimasens, south of Kaiserslautern, and another area in the Northern part of Germany. Somewhere on the Dutch border. I know a Senior NCO who was stationed there in the infantry. He used to joke about his job title as a Custodian.....or janitor.

redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The original Pershing 1 was designed around 4 speciality variants of the M113. Below is the M474 SP EL

One was the launcher, one to carry the warhead, one to carry the PL launch system and one for control.
When the Army upgraded to the Pershing 1A, The put the new series M757 vehicles in. It was the only place these vehicles were used.

On the last upgrade to the Pershing 2, The US still used this EL launch trailer but pulled it with an M983 HMETT and the Germans used a MANN tractor.

As part of the Salt 2 treaty all the Pershings and their M757A1 EL trailers were destroyed except 6. Three are on display here in the US, Two in Germany and one in Russia.

Here is an intersting movie on the Pershing 1A
[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YABPisFGE[/url]

Thanks for the comments. I will keep you updated.

Rounds Complete!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
I never knew that kit existed. What a great find!
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi guys,been looking at the post and was wondering if Revell did this as part of their history makers series.If it was`nt this then it must have been something very similar.Can someone enlighten me if this was the case.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:22 AM UTC
I believe Revell may have done a Corporal missile system way back when.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,been looking at the post and was wondering if Revell did this as part of their history makers series.If it was`nt this then it must have been something very similar.Can someone enlighten me if this was the case.

Actually no...This kit was done by the engineering department of Martin Marritta who actually built the missile. This kit was not commercially available, but only to selected Martin Marrietta employees.

The kit is dated 1971. They obviously had a model molder make it for them. Might have been Renwal as the feel of the plastic is like their old kits. The molds belonged to MM. It is rumored that after this run, they destroyed the molds.

Lockheed has since bought MM and I am trying to get any information I can on this kit.

That is why this kit is a find especially for this old artillery officer!!

Rounds Complete!!

Removed by original poster on 12/19/08 - 01:25:58 (GMT).
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
What a neat kit and how rare it must be! Congrats on actually building it and not letting it be a shelf queen.

Darryl
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:42 AM UTC
Darryl

There are many people who would collect kits without ever intending to build them. I am not going to display a bunch of boxes (the wife would kill me for sure).

That's not what why I came back to the hobby. I believe if a kit is rare, old, one of a kind or what ever, it is meaningless unless built. I only hope my skills are good enough to do this special kit justice.

Thanks for the input. Keep an eye for future updates.

Rounds Complete!!
SJPONeill
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 06:53 PM UTC
This kit is so way cool!!

Would look awesome alongside Atomic Annie, the Mace and Teracruzer, etc...maybe one day Polar Lights or Moebius might reverse engineer one of the rest of us...
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC
Thanks SJP

I agree about Atomic Annie and the Teracruzer. I wish someone would pick up some of the really cool kits or make something like this. I am very fortunate to have this kit and this chance and enjoy sharing my experience with all of you.

Again thanks for the look, and peek in every week or so, I will try to keep everyone updated.

Rounds Complete!!
Removed by original poster on 12/19/08 - 01:26:45 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/19/08 - 01:27:14 (GMT).
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
Neat kit! Lovely details your adding, really brings it up a few levels.

cheers
Removed by original poster on 12/19/08 - 01:27:47 (GMT).
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks for the update, coming along nicely. Your right about the kit tires,...horrible!

Was the warhead assemble at the launch site?

cheers
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the update, coming along nicely. Your right about the kit tires,...horrible!

Was the warhead assemble at the launch site?

cheers

In the travel position, the warhead container would be turned around (nose facing the rear, and closer to the missile with the front trailer extension folsed up.

Upon reaching the firing position, the crew would extend the trailer then using the davit crane rotate and move forward the warhead container. Next they would remove the warhead from the container and install it on the missile.

That's the long answer. The short is yes, always assembled at the site!!

Thanks for your comments and for looking.

Rounds Complete!!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:26 AM UTC
Excellent build! A very rare kit with a great history. This is going to look great when finished - the size alone will be impressive.

Looking forward to see more
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 01:41 AM UTC
What a fascinating kit. It must of been like finding a valuable artefact when you got this kit. Can't wait till you get to the painting stage.
CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
Seems like it's brilliant stuff so far... Can't wait to see it finished!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
Mike, you're doing a great job with this one! Would like to encourage you to submit it as a Feature when it's all said and done. Definitely one that belongs in the archives given the rare nature of the kit, the work you've done with it, and the subject matter.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
Jesper, Breet and Russell -

Yes, it was a rare find and I'm trying to make the best of it. The model is of considerable size which makes it all the better.Thanks for your comments and encouragment. and thanks for taking the time to look.
I hope it lives up to my expectations!!

Bill -

First thanks for your comments. I would love to submit this when it's done. I'll keep in touch. Once it is done and meets my expectations....yes I'll have the cold one.

See you behind the breech!

Rounds Complete!!

_GOTOTOP